ATL: BRET - Remnants - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: BRET - Tropical Storm - Discussion

#481 Postby aspen » Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:02 am

Recon isn’t supporting a near-hurricane intensity. Looks to have weakened more than I thought, down to 50-55 kt and 1003-1004 mbar.
5 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#482 Postby cycloneye » Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:08 am

4 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

abajan
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#483 Postby abajan » Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:11 am

Currently windy at my location in the southwest of the island but not alarmingly so. Basically just a pleasantly breezy morning, especially in light of the oppressively hot weather we've recently been experiencing. However, I've seen a report from a higher location, near the center of the island, about a tree felled by what I presume to be much stronger winds. While I'm not at sea level, there's a ridge 100 yards or so to my north which helps shelter my house from the full effects of any winds coming from that general direction. However, I imagine it'll be a different story when they start blowing from the southeast sometime early tomorrow morning.
4 likes   

TheAustinMan
Category 5
Category 5

#484 Postby TheAustinMan » Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:15 am

Bret's low level circulation appears to have slipped out of the main convective mass. You can see it pretty easily in the below satellite image composite (where low-level clouds appear blue-green in this enhancement due to the dominance of water droplets as opposed to ice particles [further details about this enhancement here.]). Convection may reinitiate near the center of circulation, but with shear on the rise, the likelihood of some sort of CDO/proto-CDO developing like we saw last night are probably pretty low, and models are in decent consensus of Bret's structure remaining a classically sheared one, particularly once it makes it through the Lesser Antilles.

Day Cloud Phase GOES-16 imagery. Source: College of DuPage
8 likes   
ImageImageImage
Treat my opinions with a grain of salt. For official information see your local weather service.

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#485 Postby wxman57 » Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:16 am

Definitely weakening now. Recon found another center SW of the convection.
6 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#486 Postby wxman57 » Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:18 am

abajan wrote:Currently windy at my location in the southwest of the island but not alarmingly so. Basically just a pleasantly breezy morning, especially in light of the oppressively hot weather we've recently been experiencing. However, I've seen a report from a higher location, near the center of the island, about a tree felled by what I presume to be much stronger winds. While I'm not at sea level, there's a ridge 100 yards or so to my north which helps shelter my house from the full effects of any winds coming from that general direction. However, I imagine it'll be a different story when they start blowing from the southeast sometime early tomorrow morning.

Any wind from Bret has not reached Barbados yet.
1 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#487 Postby tolakram » Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:18 am

1 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

Sanibel
Category 5
Category 5

ATL: BRET - Tropical Storm - Discussion

#488 Postby Sanibel » Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:29 am

You would think the June Caribbean would do a number on it...

(Off-Topic) The insurance company came up way short after all so we are still fighting for them to legally do what our policy and Florida law requires...
1 likes   

abajan
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#489 Postby abajan » Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:32 am

Could someone with connections to the NHC kindly inform them that the Leeward Islands are just a part of the Lesser Antilles? Their 5 AM and 8 AM advisories both state that Bret is expected to bring strong winds and heavy rain to portions of the Leeward Islands later today and tonight, when they actually meant the Lesser Antilles. I doubt any of the Leeward Islands will get much foul weather from Bret.
8 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#490 Postby cycloneye » Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:36 am

Shear is increasing causing the center to get away from convection.

2 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#491 Postby Kingarabian » Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:58 am

To be honest it did a lot better than I expected. Even if it didn't become a hurricane. It was basically sheared its entire life.
8 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

Weatherwatcher2018
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#492 Postby Weatherwatcher2018 » Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:01 am

abajan wrote:Could someone with connections to the NHC kindly inform them that the Leeward Islands are just a part of the Lesser Antilles? Their 5 AM and 8 AM advisories both state that Bret is expected to bring strong winds and heavy rain to portions of the Leeward Islands later today and tonight, when they actually meant the Lesser Antilles. I doubt any of the Leeward Islands will get much foul weather from Bret.

Do you think it necessary for Barbados to shut down this afternoon?
0 likes   

RT23
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#493 Postby RT23 » Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:03 am

Weatherwatcher2018 wrote:
abajan wrote:Could someone with connections to the NHC kindly inform them that the Leeward Islands are just a part of the Lesser Antilles? Their 5 AM and 8 AM advisories both state that Bret is expected to bring strong winds and heavy rain to portions of the Leeward Islands later today and tonight, when they actually meant the Lesser Antilles. I doubt any of the Leeward Islands will get much foul weather from Bret.

So Far it is only school closures, however it appears to be a slight SW shift so will pass closer than was expected. Lets us see what this system will bring in the next few hours.
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#494 Postby wxman57 » Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:25 am

RT23 wrote:
Weatherwatcher2018 wrote:

So Far it is only school closures, however it appears to be a slight SW shift so will pass closer than was expected. Lets us see what this system will bring in the next few hours.

Recon is finding very light wind southwest of Bret's center, where Barbados will be this afternoon. Once it passes, there could be some 25-35 mph SE wind and a few squalls in its wake tonight.
2 likes   

abajan
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#495 Postby abajan » Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:38 am

wxman57 wrote:
abajan wrote:Currently windy at my location in the southwest of the island but not alarmingly so. Basically just a pleasantly breezy morning, especially in light of the oppressively hot weather we've recently been experiencing. However, I've seen a report from a higher location, near the center of the island, about a tree felled by what I presume to be much stronger winds. While I'm not at sea level, there's a ridge 100 yards or so to my north which helps shelter my house from the full effects of any winds coming from that general direction. However, I imagine it'll be a different story when they start blowing from the southeast sometime early tomorrow morning.

Any wind from Bret has not reached Barbados yet.

Funny thing is, the winds here have lessened considerably since I posted that. They just feel like regular breezes now. I think Bret's trolling me.
2 likes   

Nuno
Category 2
Category 2

#496 Postby Nuno » Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:39 am

We need to stop focusing on just wind impacts here and think of the massive amounts of rainfall that recon was picking up in this storm. These islands are mountainous, even if its "just" 60-70" mph gusts, people will feel this in higher elevations, and the rainfall has the potential to be dangerous. The rule with weather is better safe than sorry and people should follow this even with a tropical storm.
3 likes   
Andrew (1992), Irene (1999), Frances (2004), Katrina (2005), Wilma (2005), Fay (2008), Irma (2017), Eta (2020), Ian (2022)

Weatherwatcher2018
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#497 Postby Weatherwatcher2018 » Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:49 am

Has the relocated southwestern center been reflected in the newest information from the nhc
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#498 Postby wxman57 » Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:52 am

Weatherwatcher2018 wrote:Has the relocated southwestern center been reflected in the newest information from the nhc

No, that was just a little eddy. NHC is feeling generous in keeping wind at 60 kts. But then, the NHC doesn't like to indicate weakening as a storm is approaching land. They need to keep people alert to any unexpected strengthening, though that seems unlikely in this case. Bret is clearly weakening.
1 likes   

Weatherwatcher2018
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#499 Postby Weatherwatcher2018 » Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:52 am

Nuno wrote:We need to stop focusing on just wind impacts here and think of the massive amounts of rainfall that recon was picking up in this storm. These islands are mountainous, even if its "just" 60-70" mph gusts, people will feel this in higher elevations, and the rainfall has the potential to be dangerous. The rule with weather is better safe than sorry and people should follow this even with a tropical storm.

I agree tropical storm Kirk caused severed flooding back in 2018 b there was no wind damage. I fear people won’t take it seriously until something bad happens due to flooding
1 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#500 Postby wxman57 » Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:58 am

Nuno wrote:We need to stop focusing on just wind impacts here and think of the massive amounts of rainfall that recon was picking up in this storm. These islands are mountainous, even if its "just" 60-70" mph gusts, people will feel this in higher elevations, and the rainfall has the potential to be dangerous. The rule with weather is better safe than sorry and people should follow this even with a tropical storm.

We're not expecting a massive amount of rain, as Bret will be encountering plenty of dry air as it nears the islands. Here's the forecast from the 06Z Euro. It indicates some mountainous areas could see 4-6 inches. Very little indicated for Barbados, by the way. Of course, this is just one model's forecast.

1 likes   

Return to “2023”