ATL: IDALIA - Post-Tropical - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Stormcenter
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: ATL: INVEST 93L - Discussion

#21 Postby Stormcenter » Fri Aug 25, 2023 12:26 pm

Destin looks “right now” like the landfall area.
0 likes   

ConvergenceZone
Category 5
Category 5

#22 Postby ConvergenceZone » Fri Aug 25, 2023 12:30 pm

Teban54 wrote:It's been a while since I've seen an invest thread almost getting to page 2 this soon after being made. The last one was probably pre-Ian.

It's only because it's Florida. An other state and it wouldn't be near this active :lol:
1 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#23 Postby cycloneye » Fri Aug 25, 2023 12:31 pm

Teban54 wrote:It's been a while since I've seen an invest thread almost getting to page 2 this soon after being made. The last one was probably pre-Ian.

The sure thing is that this thread will have a lot of pages due to the location and how will the intensity be of future Idalia.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#24 Postby tolakram » Fri Aug 25, 2023 12:33 pm

SO now that the GFS finally shows a storm we trust the GFS? Objectively, split the difference in my opinion, and expect landfall to be somewhere where neither model shows at the moment. I'm worried that much like Harold the models are catching up slowly.
2 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

Ian2401
Category 1
Category 1

#25 Postby Ian2401 » Fri Aug 25, 2023 12:34 pm

ConvergenceZone wrote:

It's only because it's Florida. An other state and it wouldn't be near this active :lol:

The page over on talkin tropics already had like 12 pages lol this forum loves florida
3 likes   
FSU '24 student pursuing a degree in meteorology. Consult NHC for official information.

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#26 Postby CrazyC83 » Fri Aug 25, 2023 12:39 pm

I believe timing is the key. There will be a trough coming in next week, but where the system is in relation will dictate the track. A faster track would mean farther west on the northern Gulf Coast, a slower track opens up the Florida Peninsula.
0 likes   

Spacecoast
Category 2
Category 2

#27 Postby Spacecoast » Fri Aug 25, 2023 12:45 pm

UW-CIMSS TCTrak:
0 likes   

TomballEd
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#28 Postby TomballEd » Fri Aug 25, 2023 12:45 pm

I think it is a little soon to post a particular Florida city based on the GFS. GEFS are somewhere in Florida, TT GEFS means aren't but N of Tampa seems the densest grouping, but they are ensemble members over all of Florida but the very W edge of the P' handle and extreme SW Florida. I'm picturing a day of competing LLCs and where the exact center forms is impossible to nail down completely. How it develops over or near the Yucatan can't be nailed down. Canadian ensembles close to GFS ensembles in track, although tending to be stronger.

SHIPS is a solid Cat 1. I'd post images, but there doesn't seem to be a file upload capacity and hot linking seems frowned upon.
0 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#29 Postby CrazyC83 » Fri Aug 25, 2023 12:47 pm

TomballEd wrote:I think it is a little soon to post a particular Florida city based on the GFS. GEFS are somewhere in Florida, TT GEFS means aren't but N of Tampa seems the densest grouping, but they are ensemble members over all of Florida but the very W edge of the P' handle and extreme SW Florida. I'm picturing a day of competing LLCs and where the exact center forms is impossible to nail down completely. How it develops over or near the Yucatan can't be nailed down. Canadian ensembles close to GFS ensembles in track, although tending to be stronger.

SHIPS is a solid Cat 1. I'd post images, but there doesn't seem to be a file upload capacity and hot linking seems frowned upon.

At this point, we can't even close the door to further west, although the ridge would have to break down first. It's all about timing. The fact is that it is not a long time to prepare considering there isn't even a center yet and landfall would be less than 5 days away.
1 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#30 Postby cycloneye » Fri Aug 25, 2023 12:48 pm

Northwestern Caribbean Sea and eastern Gulf of Mexico (AL93):
Satellite images indicate that the area of low pressure over the
northwestern Caribbean Sea is gradually becoming better organized,
with increasing thunderstorm activity and a better-defined
low-level circulation. Environmental conditions appear conducive
for further development during the next several days, and a
tropical depression is likely to form late this weekend or early
next week while it moves generally northward over the eastern Gulf
of Mexico. Interests in the Yucatan Peninsula of Mexico, western
Cuba, and Florida should monitor the progress of this system.
* Formation chance through 48 hours...medium...40 percent.
* Formation chance through 7 days...high...80 percent.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

GCANE
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#31 Postby GCANE » Fri Aug 25, 2023 12:57 pm

Westerlies kicking up fast south of 18N
With the Anti-Cyclone, could spin up fast and hard.
Last edited by GCANE on Fri Aug 25, 2023 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#32 Postby wxman57 » Fri Aug 25, 2023 1:02 pm

Between EC & GFS looks most likely. NHC would probably start advisories on Monday. Maybe a PTC to start with at 21Z Monday, since it may not be at TD yet and watches would be needed for 48 hrs out.

With the upper high over Bahamas and low in west-central Gulf, should be a sheared storm by Wed pm.
0 likes   

MississippiWx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#33 Postby MississippiWx » Fri Aug 25, 2023 1:03 pm

My thinking is that Franklin is going to play a role in how fast 93L turns north and east. Look at the difference in just the 24 hour placement of where models thought Franklin would be today and where it actually is located. It's a pretty drastic change. Franklin is being very stubborn to turn north and this is slowing down the development of any weakness that would pull 93L north and east. When you factor this in with the consolidation of a low that is rotating around a larger monsoonal gyre, the eventual track is a lot more complicated than face value.
2 likes   
This post is not an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of MississippiWx and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

ScottNAtlanta
Category 5
Category 5

#34 Postby ScottNAtlanta » Fri Aug 25, 2023 1:16 pm

wxman57 wrote:Between EC & GFS looks most likely. NHC would probably start advisories on Monday. Maybe a PTC to start with at 21Z Monday, since it may not be at TD yet and watches would be needed for 48 hrs out.

With the upper high over Bahamas and low in west-central Gulf, should be a sheared storm by Wed pm.

When that ULL to the west moves out this should be right under an anticyclone. The ULL is moving into Mexico at a pretty good clip right now. I don't see there being that much shear in a couple of days
1 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

ObsessedMiami
Category 1
Category 1

#35 Postby ObsessedMiami » Fri Aug 25, 2023 1:18 pm

Ian2401 wrote:
ConvergenceZone wrote:

The page over on talkin tropics already had like 12 pages lol this forum loves florida

Did someone say Florida?? Season greetings to all board folks. Curious about this track
2 likes   

ScottNAtlanta
Category 5
Category 5

#36 Postby ScottNAtlanta » Fri Aug 25, 2023 1:19 pm

Looks like an LLC is trying to form around 19N 85W
1 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#37 Postby NDG » Fri Aug 25, 2023 1:20 pm

Teban54 wrote:
NDG wrote:Let's not forget that the GFS, for what is worth, did a good job in it forecasting Harold to intensify right before landfall.

I thought GFS didn't even show Harold forming until almost the last minute?

It was more on Franklin that it failed on development, it was inconsistent on development with Harold, and its ensembles were also bearish, but once the GFS locked on it, it showed it strengthening right before landfall like it did.
0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#38 Postby tolakram » Fri Aug 25, 2023 1:21 pm

1 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

TheBigO
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#39 Postby TheBigO » Fri Aug 25, 2023 1:23 pm

It wouldn’t be the start of college football season if a tropical storm/hurricane didn’t threaten the start of UCF’s season… hopefully Thursday’s season opener isn’t rained out. :D
1 likes   

SouthFLTropics
Category 5
Category 5

#40 Postby SouthFLTropics » Fri Aug 25, 2023 1:25 pm

ScottNAtlanta wrote:Looks like an LLC is trying to form around 19N 85W

Definitely some rotation going on under there... I might place it a hair further north but looks like you're looking in the right spot.
0 likes   
Fourth Generation Floridian...With lots of storm knowledge passed down from my elders...

Personal Storm History: David 79, Andrew 92, Erin 95, Floyd 99, Irene 99, Frances 04, Jeanne 04, Wilma 05, Matthew 16, Irma 17

Return to “2023”