ATL: LARRY - Post-Tropical - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: ATL: LARRY - Hurricane - Discussion

#701 Postby cycloneye » Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:03 am

Wow, this from the NOAA mission of the 6th. The big eye is fantastic.

https://twitter.com/NOAA_HurrHunter/status/1435251755349168135

2 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Sciencerocks
Category 5
Category 5

#702 Postby Sciencerocks » Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:13 am

0 likes   

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#703 Postby ElectricStorm » Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:23 pm

Looks like it's going to be weakening from here on out. Would have been nice for it to hit Cat 4 and get a few more ACE but at the end of the day it's hard to argue against a long tracking major annular cane in the Atlantic. Just a couple ERC's too many for it to reach it's full potential.

Solid storm overall, now hopefully it doesn't impact Bermuda and Canada.
0 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

Cyclenall
Category 5
Category 5

#704 Postby Cyclenall » Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:52 pm

If anyone wants a good chuckle at just how fast Larry is degrading, view the AVN:

:lol:
10 likes   

Sciencerocks
Category 5
Category 5

#705 Postby Sciencerocks » Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:33 pm

2 likes   

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#706 Postby aspen » Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:12 pm

Pressure is still in the mid-960s according to recon. Also, the exact LLC is offset from where the eye is on visible/IR imagery, and the wind field remains very lopsided. FL have gone down a tad, supporting the slight downgrade to 95 kt.
0 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

Hurricaneman
Category 5
Category 5

#707 Postby Hurricaneman » Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:47 pm

Southerly shear as the mid level eye is offset to the north side of the surface eye
0 likes   

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#708 Postby Kingarabian » Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:09 pm

Unfortunately for Larry it failed to meet my expectations given the favorable OHC and favorable upper level environment. Had Isabel type expectations for it. But nope, in the end it was never ending ERC's.

Felicia and Linda were more impressive as annular hurricanes given the less than ideal environments they had.
4 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#709 Postby aspen » Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:14 pm

Kingarabian wrote:Unfortunately for Larry it failed to meet my expectations given the favorable OHC and favorable upper level environment. Had Isabel type expectations for it. But nope, in the end it was never ending ERC's.

Felicia and Linda were more impressive as annular hurricanes given the less than ideal environments they had.

Hopefully the next OTS major won’t try to match or out-do Larry’s tendency for EWRCs, and we’ll get a nice, consistent, and easy to forecast Long tracking Cat 4.
1 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

sikkar
Category 1
Category 1

#710 Postby sikkar » Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:08 pm

Appears to be slightly improving on IR, may be taking advantage of warmer water.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Sciencerocks
Category 5
Category 5

#711 Postby Sciencerocks » Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:57 pm

1 likes   

Sciencerocks
Category 5
Category 5

#712 Postby Sciencerocks » Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:33 am

0 likes   

Chris90
Category 2
Category 2

#713 Postby Chris90 » Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:26 am

aspen wrote:
Kingarabian wrote:Unfortunately for Larry it failed to meet my expectations given the favorable OHC and favorable upper level environment. Had Isabel type expectations for it. But nope, in the end it was never ending ERC's.

Hopefully the next OTS major won’t try to match or out-do Larry’s tendency for EWRCs, and we’ll get a nice, consistent, and easy to forecast Long tracking Cat 4.

I think part of the reason why Felicia and Linda were more impressive annular hurricanes was because they had less ideal environments, that’s partly what annulars require. I think part of Larry’s problem was the environment was good enough that it supported the formation of a secondary band that could become the new eyewall, but I think if the environment was drier it could have cut off external bands and allowed Larry to more consistently maintain his annular structure. I think Larry would have done better without the annular structure and a core that was smaller and easier to contract so that way when an ERC started it could squeeze out as much intensification as possible with the inner core before the outer eyewall took over. Larry kind of wanted to sit on the fence and have an annular structure but also do ERCs, but he couldn’t have it both ways.

I do think Larry will make for some fascinating research papers on his annular structure but also perpetual ERCs. He was consistently acting out of character for an annular hurricane.
2 likes   
Solar Aquarian
Lunar Cancerian
:uarrow: Sagittarian

cheezyWXguy
Category 5
Category 5

#714 Postby cheezyWXguy » Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:16 am

Chris90 wrote:
aspen wrote:

I think part of the reason why Felicia and Linda were more impressive annular hurricanes was because they had less ideal environments, that’s partly what annulars require. I think part of Larry’s problem was the environment was good enough that it supported the formation of a secondary band that could become the new eyewall, but I think if the environment was drier it could have cut off external bands and allowed Larry to more consistently maintain his annular structure. I think Larry would have done better without the annular structure and a core that was smaller and easier to contract so that way when an ERC started it could squeeze out as much intensification as possible with the inner core before the outer eyewall took over. Larry kind of wanted to sit on the fence and have an annular structure but also do ERCs, but he couldn’t have it both ways.

I do think Larry will make for some fascinating research papers on his annular structure but also perpetual ERCs. He was consistently acting out of character for an annular hurricane.

I must be the only one who thinks the environment wasn’t all that ideal. You don’t see a nearly cat4 hurricane have its mid level eye shifted so dramatically off of its surface eye very often.
1 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#715 Postby wxman57 » Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:37 am

Recon indicates Larry is a Cat 2 with around 100 mph winds - similar to yesterday's recon. No evidence of 115 mph. Looks quite ragged now compared to a couple days ago. Without the heavier squalls in the eyewall, those FL winds are not making it down to the surface.
3 likes   

Sciencerocks
Category 5
Category 5

#716 Postby Sciencerocks » Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:28 am

0 likes   

TheDreamTraveler
Category 2
Category 2

#717 Postby TheDreamTraveler » Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:00 pm

Chris90 wrote:
aspen wrote:

That's the thing about annular hurricanes, we're still learning more about them since they're so rare. It wasn't until the early 2000s that annular canes were fully recognized as their own thing. I feel we still have more to learn about them
0 likes   

TheDreamTraveler
Category 2
Category 2

#718 Postby TheDreamTraveler » Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:04 pm

But yeah it looks likely now that Larry will impact Newfoundland. Just wondering how well it holds itself together when it gets there
0 likes   

abajan
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#719 Postby abajan » Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:59 pm

As expected, Larry is getting bigger. Its tropical-storm-force winds now extend outward up to 240 miles.
0 likes   

Ubuntwo
Category 5
Category 5

#720 Postby Ubuntwo » Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:56 pm

Current recon data hardly supports 80kt let alone 95kt.
3 likes   
Kendall -> SLO -> PBC

Memorable Storms: Katrina (for its Florida landfall...) Wilma Matthew Irma

Return to “2021”