Admin

Re: ATL: INVEST 95L - Discussion

#21 Postby cycloneye » Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:55 pm

A strong tropical wave located over the far east Atlantic off the
African coast is producing a broad area of showers and
thunderstorms. As the system moves west-northwestward into the
central Atlantic Ocean, conditions appear only marginally conducive
for development due to relatively cool ocean temperatures. However,
a small tropical depression could still form by early next week.
* Formation chance through 48 hours...low...20 percent.
* Formation chance through 5 days...medium...40 percent.
1 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Shell Mound
Category 5
Category 5

#22 Postby Shell Mound » Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:07 pm

3 likes   
CVW / MiamiensisWx / Shell Mound
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#23 Postby Aric Dunn » Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:21 pm

It is definitely well on its way in terms of vorticity and low level structure.
4 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.
If there is nothing before... then just ask :)

Space & Atmospheric Physicist, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University,
I believe the sky is falling...

Stormybajan
Category 1
Category 1

#24 Postby Stormybajan » Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:11 pm

Aric Dunn wrote:It is definitely well on its way in terms of vorticity and low level structure.

4N?? I cant remember seeing an invest in the atlantic THAT far south before, maybe the reason models are showing no development currently is because they are initializing it to swing too far north
0 likes   
Sad West Indies and Manchester United fan ⚽️

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#25 Postby chaser1 » Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:11 pm

Aric Dunn wrote:It is definitely well on its way in terms of vorticity and low level structure.

However, a small tropical depression could still form by early next week.

:ggreen: I don't know Aric..... seems like NHC feels 95L seems to lack the outstanding upper air conditions AND the inland Louisiana SST's that made naming Claudette a no-brainer :yayaya:
8 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#26 Postby Aric Dunn » Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:21 pm

chaser1 wrote: :ggreen: I don't know Aric..... seems like NHC feels 95L seems to lack the outstanding upper air conditions AND the inland Louisiana SST's that made naming Claudette a no-brainer :yayaya:

Those darn swamps do it everytime.. lol
4 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.

StPeteMike
Category 1
Category 1

#27 Postby StPeteMike » Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:48 pm

Though the waves have been impressive, I don’t see anything forming out in the MDR until at least mid to late July… which would still be relatively early. Though I may be wrong, my belief that we will see the wave near the Lesser Antilles form before reach the GOM is dwindling pretty fast.
0 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

tailgater
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#28 Postby tailgater » Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:59 pm

After looking at the TPW loop, drier air is being suck in and the water temps marginal, I think the chances are pretty low this system develops in the near future. The shear I see may abate when it moves farther west away from the coast.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#29 Postby aspen » Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:01 pm

StPeteMike wrote:Though the waves have been impressive, I don’t see anything forming out in the MDR until at least mid to late July… which would still be relatively early. Though I may be wrong, my belief that we will see the wave near the Lesser Antilles form before reach the GOM is dwindling pretty fast.

The Euro velocity forecast suggests conditions could be good for activity starting in the last third of July, following what looks to be a suppressive phase in mid July. If the waves in late June are this powerful and getting so close to being TCs, then we might have to watch out come next month.
1 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#30 Postby chaser1 » Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:09 pm

(Bones to Kirk)
"....... Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor not a bio-horticulturist. You can't simply beam down 500 hundred tons of gator & crawdad infested marshlands to the ocean surface.
95L simply needs more heat or it'll die!

(Kirk to Sulu)
"Reconfigure ships phasers to pulse setting and target these coordinates 4.5 N and 17.5W, at a sub-surface depth of 50'."

(Chekov to Kirk)
"Captain, ship sensors are picking up multiple unidentified subsurface wessles in the area. Our phasers may be misconstrued as an aggressive action sir.

(Kirk to Chekov)
"What are wessles? Oh, you mean UFO''s? Don't worry about them, they've been on Earth observing before the dinosaurs. Besides, 95L must boldly go where no Tropical Storm has gone before..... Commence firing on my mark"
7 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#31 Postby aspen » Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:10 pm

Maybe this might be a wave that doesn’t develop in the MDR, but survives until it’s able to develop further west.
0 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

BYG Jacob
Category 3
Category 3

#32 Postby BYG Jacob » Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:14 pm

Multiple skeptical posts ignoring glaring evidence the wave is already consolidating.
6 likes   

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#33 Postby ElectricStorm » Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:17 pm

Hard for me to get excited for a wave this far out there in June, so I'm not expecting much from this. Could become a TS though

On the other hand though, we have a wave like this in June... So I guess I'm a little excited lol
0 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

AnnularCane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#34 Postby AnnularCane » Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:50 pm

Weather Dude wrote:Hard for me to get excited for a wave this far out there in June, so I'm not expecting much from this. Could become a TS though

On the other hand though, we have a wave like this in June... So I guess I'm a little excited lol

Yeah, it's a nice-looking wave, but on the other hand...it's June. Makes it kind of hard to think much will happen.

But on the other hand, it's a nice-looking wave...

:yesno:
5 likes   
"But it never rained rain. It never snowed snow. And it never blew just wind. It rained things like soup and juice. It snowed mashed potatoes and green peas. And sometimes the wind blew in storms of hamburgers." -- Judi Barrett, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs

Stormybajan
Category 1
Category 1

#35 Postby Stormybajan » Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:17 pm

Certainly some convection down there at 5N however Im wondering if the energy at 10N will in the end takeover
0 likes   
Sad West Indies and Manchester United fan ⚽️

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#36 Postby cycloneye » Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:57 pm

No more mention of small tropical depression.

Tropical Weather Outlook
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL
800 PM EDT Thu Jun 24 2021

For the North Atlantic...Caribbean Sea and the Gulf of Mexico:

1. A strong tropical wave located over the far eastern Atlantic off
the African coast is producing a broad area of showers and a few
thunderstorms. As the system moves west-northwestward into the
central Atlantic Ocean during the next few days, conditions appear
only marginally conducive for development due to relatively cool
ocean temperatures. However, some development of this system is
still possible by early next week.
* Formation chance through 5 days...medium...40 percent.

Forecaster Pasch
2 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#37 Postby chaser1 » Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:01 pm

Stormybajan wrote:Certainly some convection down there at 5N however Im wondering if the energy at 10N will in the end takeover

I don't think that will be the case. Tops have warmed and convection decreased some, in association with the MLC a bit to the west. At the same time, it appears that convection is slowly increasing in association with the weak LLC around 5N. Models seem to be slow to kick this low westward which suggests that it is lacking much vertical structure at the moment. We'll just have to wait and see if/when that'll change but some serious convective bursting over or near the LLC would certainly be a clue. Fwiw, I believe that another strong wave is on deck to emerge off the coast in a few days as well.
2 likes   

Craters
Category 1
Category 1

#38 Postby Craters » Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:59 pm

Wouldn't this thing have trouble generating large-scale vorticity that close to the equator because it's almost Coriolis-free down there?

(If I knew what I was talking about, I would have phrased that much more professionally.)
0 likes   
Nothing that I post here should ever be treated as a forecast or anything resembling one. Please check with your local NWS office or the NHC for forecasts, watches, and warnings.

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#39 Postby Aric Dunn » Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:49 pm

NIce ball of convection.. right where it should be..
0 likes   

JRD
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#40 Postby JRD » Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:01 pm

Westerly flow may be due to the monsoon trough being north of the Invest. Also, it seems that the Invest's circulation is close to closed.
https://ocean.weather.gov/UA/Atl_Tropics.gif
2 likes   

Return to “2021”