ATL: NICHOLAS - Models

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: NICHOLAS - Models

#181 Postby Cpv17 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:23 pm

jaguars_22 wrote:Cpv which means over Victoria?

With the current track, the NHC has it going just east of Victoria by maybe 20-30 miles.
0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#182 Postby tolakram » Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:37 pm

GFS total precip
1 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#183 Postby tolakram » Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:38 pm

18Z GFS landfall
2 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

Clearcloudz
Category 2
Category 2

#184 Postby Clearcloudz » Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:42 pm

tolakram wrote:18Z GFS landfall
https://i.imgur.com/8lakiyr.png

Since yesterday GFS has slowly been shifting west. Lets not forget GFS had this going into Texas and Louisiana border a day ago so that in itself is a westward shift but lets see what happens going forward can still shift back east or more westward shifts possible.
0 likes   

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#185 Postby Cpv17 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:42 pm

tolakram wrote:18Z GFS landfall
https://i.imgur.com/8lakiyr.png

Palacios, TX landfall on the 18z GFS.
0 likes   

Hypercane_Kyle
Category 5
Category 5

#186 Postby Hypercane_Kyle » Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:48 pm

Nicholas is a very large tropical storm in terms of convective envelope.

0 likes   
My posts are my own personal opinion, defer to the National Hurricane Center (NHC) and other NOAA products for decision making during hurricane season.

ChrisH-UK
Category 1
Category 1

#187 Postby ChrisH-UK » Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:49 pm

Has anyone noticed a trend in the models, each run has the center moving west and earlier than the last run. For example here's the GFS with Nicholas off Brownsville on the 06z nearest time is 21z and 18z nearest time is 15z and just off the coast.

1 likes   

Nimbus
Category 5
Category 5

#188 Postby Nimbus » Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:51 pm

MBryant wrote:
Nederlander wrote:Whew, RIP Schulenberg, La Grange, Flatonia on that model run. But certainly only one run and definitely an outlier in terms of overall precipitation.

For reference, the highest total rainfall for Harvey was 60.58 inches at the airport in Jefferson county, south of Beaumont. I just don’t see that type of setup here with that many days of training bands.

That may be the highest official total, but I live about 10 miles from an unofficial 67" total (Vidor) which is about 25 miles north of the airport.

NHC track is way inland NW of Houston up near the Greenwood Saloon in Bluffdale.
I'm not familiar with the local flooding issues but a stall west or northwest of Houston would be the moisture pump that is concerning.

Probably change the track around 8ish with the update.
0 likes   

IcyTundra
Category 3
Category 3

#189 Postby IcyTundra » Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:01 pm

HMON slight shift east from the 12Z. 12Z HMON had Nicholas going over Port O'Connor but the 18Z HMON has Nicholas barely passing to the east of Port O'Connor

0 likes   

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#190 Postby Cpv17 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:02 pm

ChrisH-UK wrote:Has anyone noticed a trend in the models, each run has the center moving west and earlier than the last run. For example here's the GFS with Nicholas off Brownsville on the 06z nearest time is 21z and 18z nearest time is 15z and just off the coast.

https://i.imgur.com/RNwrnpD.png

https://i.imgur.com/2GkOu7N.png

The GFS is caving to the Euro.
3 likes   

Clearcloudz
Category 2
Category 2

#191 Postby Clearcloudz » Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:05 pm

Cpv17 wrote:
ChrisH-UK wrote:Has anyone noticed a trend in the models, each run has the center moving west and earlier than the last run. For example here's the GFS with Nicholas off Brownsville on the 06z nearest time is 21z and 18z nearest time is 15z and just off the coast.

That would result in a epic rainfall event. :spam:
1 likes   

SoupBone
Category 5
Category 5

#192 Postby SoupBone » Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:10 pm

Clearcloudz wrote:
Cpv17 wrote:

I don't know how good the GFS is in rainfall predictions, but not really. It shows 9" over most of Houston for the whole event. That's actually manageable. The Euro was much more concerning.
2 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Clearcloudz
Category 2
Category 2

#193 Postby Clearcloudz » Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:12 pm

SoupBone wrote:
Clearcloudz wrote:
Cpv17 wrote:

I don't know how good the GFS is in rainfall predictions, but not really. It shows 9" over most of Houston for the whole event. That's actually manageable. The Euro was much more concerning.

If the track moves west then no system would slow down considerably and throw down rain way more than 9 inches probably in the 20 to 30 inch range. NWS Houston mentions this in there discussion as well at 4PM that a more westward track would result in even more rainfall.
Last edited by Clearcloudz on Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3 likes   

SoupBone
Category 5
Category 5

#194 Postby SoupBone » Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:15 pm

Clearcloudz wrote:
SoupBone wrote:
Clearcloudz wrote:

If the track moves west then no system would slow down considerably and throw down rain way more than 9 inches probably in the 20 to 30 inch range.

Your response to him was referencing the GFS which shows the 9" amounts. The GFS does not show 20-30" of rain. That's why I mentioned the Euro, but even then most of the mets commenting said it's way overdoing those rainfall numbers. This next one might self-correct and maybe we'll see more realistic amounts.

The NWS Houston is calling for 8-10" in Houston with coastal areas and SE Houston getting between 15-20" which would not be fun.
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

ChrisH-UK
Category 1
Category 1

#195 Postby ChrisH-UK » Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:16 pm

Clearcloudz wrote:
Cpv17 wrote:

I hope not.
0 likes   

Clearcloudz
Category 2
Category 2

#196 Postby Clearcloudz » Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:20 pm

SoupBone wrote:
Clearcloudz wrote:
SoupBone wrote:

If the track moves west then no system would slow down considerably and throw down rain way more than 9 inches probably in the 20 to 30 inch range.

Your response to him was referencing the GFS which shows the 9" amounts. The GFS does not show 20-30" of rain. That's why I mentioned the Euro, but even then most of the mets commenting said it's way overdoing those rainfall numbers. This next one might self-correct and maybe we'll see more realistic amounts.

The NWS Houston is calling for 8-10" in Houston with coastal areas and SE Houston getting between 15-20" which would not be fun.

Confidence is low so lets see what happens when the 00Z runs come out.
0 likes   

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#197 Postby Cpv17 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:20 pm

The reason why the GFS is showing less rainfall is because it doesn’t stall it out like the Euro does.
3 likes   

IcyTundra
Category 3
Category 3

#198 Postby IcyTundra » Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:23 pm

Cpv17 wrote:The reason why the GFS is showing less rainfall is because it doesn’t stall it out like the Euro does.

Which is because the GFS has Nicholas getting stronger than the euro.
0 likes   

SoupBone
Category 5
Category 5

#199 Postby SoupBone » Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:23 pm

Cpv17 wrote:The reason why the GFS is showing less rainfall is because it doesn’t stall it out like the Euro does.

It's interesting how that's such a major difference in the two right now. The GFS zips it on out of here.
0 likes   

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#200 Postby Cpv17 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:25 pm

SoupBone wrote:

It's interesting how that's such a major difference in the two right now. The GFS zips it on out of here.

Yeah, huge difference. The EPS also has many members that stall it out or move it very slowly as well.
1 likes   

Return to “2021”