BoB: AMPHAN - Post-Tropical

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Yellow Evan
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re: BoB: AMPHAN - Cyclonic Storm

#81 Postby Yellow Evan » Sat May 16, 2020 12:10 pm

Have no idea why the JTWC is only showing 85 knots. It’s CDO screams upper end Category 5 and the globals continue to hint at such.
2 likes   

Abdullah
Category 1
Category 1

#82 Postby Abdullah » Sat May 16, 2020 12:18 pm

That looks like a mid-range Tropical Storm, or even on the high end.
0 likes   

Yellow Evan
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#83 Postby Yellow Evan » Sat May 16, 2020 12:32 pm

Abdullah wrote:

ASCAT shows 45 knots so probably 50 knots. It's actual presentation is that of, without microwave, something I'd suspect would be on the brink of becoming a hurricane.

3 likes   

Yellow Evan
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#84 Postby Yellow Evan » Sat May 16, 2020 12:33 pm

----- Current Analysis -----
Date : 16 MAY 2020 Time : 164500 UTC
Lat : 10:44:50 N Lon : 85:59:53 E

CI# /Pressure/ Vmax
3.4 / 993.1mb/ 53.0kt

Final T# Adj T# Raw T#
3.4 3.3 4.0

Center Temp : -86.8C Cloud Region Temp : -86.3C

Scene Type : UNIFORM CDO CLOUD REGION

Subtropical Adjustment : OFF

Extratropical Adjustment : OFF

Positioning Method : FORECAST INTERPOLATION

Ocean Basin : INDIAN
Dvorak CI > MSLP Conversion Used : CKZ Method
0 likes   

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#85 Postby aspen » Sat May 16, 2020 12:50 pm

Yellow Evan wrote:Have no idea why the JTWC is only showing 85 knots. It’s CDO screams upper end Category 5 and the globals continue to hint at such.

It’s the JTWC tracking something in the NIO, what else would you expect? I’m betting it becomes a Cat 5 but they only say it’s 130-135 kt.
2 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

Shell Mound
Category 5
Category 5

#86 Postby Shell Mound » Sat May 16, 2020 12:52 pm

BYG Jacob wrote:UKMET killing 5 or 6 digit figures of people in their runs I see.

This will probably end up killing just that amount of people, based on the synoptic/thermodynamic environment, topography, bathymetry, and population density.
0 likes   
CVW / MiamiensisWx / Shell Mound
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

Abdullah
Category 1
Category 1

#87 Postby Abdullah » Sat May 16, 2020 1:13 pm

aspen wrote:
Yellow Evan wrote:Have no idea why the JTWC is only showing 85 knots. It’s CDO screams upper end Category 5 and the globals continue to hint at such.

It’s the JTWC tracking something in the NIO, what else would you expect? I’m betting it becomes a Cat 5 but they only say it’s 130-135 kt.

Why do we use, or even care about the JTWC's unofficial forecasts and not the IMD's official forecasts?
0 likes   

Yellow Evan
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#88 Postby Yellow Evan » Sat May 16, 2020 1:24 pm

Abdullah wrote:
aspen wrote:

Why do we use, or even care about the JTWC's unofficial forecasts and not the IMD's official forecasts?

Neither agency has a good reputation for accuracy on here if I’m being frank though I find IMD’s poor Dvorak analysis and historical reluctance to classify what in my view are clear tropical cyclones worse.
2 likes   

Yellow Evan
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#89 Postby Yellow Evan » Sat May 16, 2020 1:36 pm

TPIO10 PGTW 161826

A. TROPICAL CYCLONE 01B (E OF INDIA)

B. 16/1745Z

C. 10.91N

D. 86.00E

E. FIVE/GOES-IO

F. T2.5/2.5/D2.5/24HRS STT: S0.0/03HRS

G. IR/EIR

H. REMARKS: 38A/PBO SBC/ANMTN. CNVTN WRAPS .40 ON LOG10 SPIRAL
YIELDING DT OF 2.5.PT AGREES. MET 2.0. DBO DT.

I. ADDITIONAL POSITIONS: NONE

DARLOW
1 likes   

Yellow Evan
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#90 Postby Yellow Evan » Sat May 16, 2020 1:40 pm

T3.5.
0 likes   

Highteeld
Category 5
Category 5

#91 Postby Highteeld » Sat May 16, 2020 1:41 pm

Yellow Evan wrote:https://i.imgur.com/BdkjFUU.gif

T3.5.

That looks stronger than when i last checked 3 hours ago for sure
0 likes   
Very useful information on the Dvorak Technique --

https://severe.worldweather.wmo.int/TCF ... kBeven.pdf

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#92 Postby aspen » Sat May 16, 2020 1:48 pm

Yellow Evan wrote:
Abdullah wrote:
aspen wrote:It’s the JTWC tracking something in the NIO, what else would you expect? I’m betting it becomes a Cat 5 but they only say it’s 130-135 kt.

Neither agency has a good reputation for accuracy on here if I’m being frank though I find IMD’s poor Dvorak analysis and historical reluctance to classify what in my view are clear tropical cyclones worse.

The sheer incompetence I’ve seen with both the IMD and the JTWC with certain storms — Hagibis, Bualoi, Halong, Kyarr, and 07A to name a few — really makes me wonder if they’re just being lazy or actually trying to be terrible. It baffles me how official agencies can let something like 07A slide or do horrendous Dvorak analyses that people on this forum can do way better.

Not to say the JTWC doesn’t do stuff right; they did a mostly good job with Vongfong and Harold.
2 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

FireRat
Category 5
Category 5

#93 Postby FireRat » Sat May 16, 2020 1:58 pm

Based on the environment, water temps , depth of the warm waters and the fact this could pass thru virtually untapped waters, this could be a catastrophe indeed. One more thing to note is that the storm is about 3 to 4 days away (5/20/2020) from landfall, and this puts it in a peculiar position and time (3 days before landfall) in which many past storms, in all basins, were at before they struck land at peak intensity. Could this also be the case with Amphan? Hope not, but the fact models keep blowing this thing up is a very ominous thing indeed. I hope everyone in this future monster's path are taking precautions early.
0 likes   
Georges '98, Irene '99, Frances '04, Jeanne '04, Katrina '05, Wilma '05, Gustav '08, Isaac '12, Matthew '16, Florence '18, Michael '18, Ian '22

Yellow Evan
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#94 Postby Yellow Evan » Sat May 16, 2020 1:59 pm

aspen wrote:
Yellow Evan wrote:
Abdullah wrote:

The sheer incompetence I’ve seen with both the IMD and the JTWC with certain storms — Hagibis, Bualoi, Halong, Kyarr, and 07A to name a few — really makes me wonder if they’re just being lazy or actually trying to be terrible. It baffles me how official agencies can let something like 07A slide or do horrendous Dvorak analyses that people on this forum can do way better.

Not to say the JTWC doesn’t do stuff right; they did a mostly good job with Vongfong and Harold.

I've long suspected that they are just new and didn't grow up doing Dvorak like many of this forum have.
0 likes   

BYG Jacob
Category 3
Category 3

#95 Postby BYG Jacob » Sat May 16, 2020 2:05 pm

Shell Mound wrote:
BYG Jacob wrote:UKMET killing 5 or 6 digit figures of people in their runs I see.

This will probably end up killing just that amount of people, based on the synoptic/thermodynamic environment, topography, bathymetry, and population density.

The Ganges delta is just about the worst landfall spot for an intense storm to make.
1 likes   

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#96 Postby aspen » Sat May 16, 2020 2:15 pm

Microwave pass from 15z shows an incomplete tiny eyewall: https://rammb-data.cira.colostate.edu/t ... 161522.gif
0 likes   

1900hurricane
Category 5
Category 5

#97 Postby 1900hurricane » Sat May 16, 2020 2:17 pm

Yellow Evan wrote:
Abdullah wrote:

ASCAT shows 45 knots so probably 50 knots. It's actual presentation is that of, without microwave, something I'd suspect would be on the brink of becoming a hurricane.

https://i.imgur.com/LxI5qLi.jpg

Chou, Wu, & Lin actually suggest that the ASCAT low bias is even higher at that level. When cross-compared with dropsonde data, a 23 m/s (45 kt) ASCAT vector actually best correlates to a 30 m/s (58 kt) intensity.

3 likes   
Contract Meteorologist. TAMU & MSST. Fiercely authentic, one of a kind. We are all given free will, so choose a life meant to be lived. We are the Masters of our own Stories.
Opinions expressed are mine alone.

Follow me on Twitter at @1900hurricane : Read blogs at https://1900hurricane.wordpress.com/

Abdullah
Category 1
Category 1

#98 Postby Abdullah » Sat May 16, 2020 2:25 pm

aspen wrote:
Yellow Evan wrote:
Abdullah wrote:

I don't think the JTWC is bad, but what started the JTWC making forecasts for the South Asia region too? Why don't the agencies stay in their respective regions?
0 likes   

Yellow Evan
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#99 Postby Yellow Evan » Sat May 16, 2020 2:29 pm

A good reminder to not take the GFS pressures literally and that inner core dynamics are likely to be the driving force in terms of intensity at its peak.
0 likes   

Yellow Evan
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#100 Postby Yellow Evan » Sat May 16, 2020 2:34 pm

Abdullah wrote:
aspen wrote:
Yellow Evan wrote:

I don't think the JTWC is bad, but what started the JTWC making forecasts for the South Asia region too? Why don't the agencies stay in their respective regions?

US has a military presence around the world, not just in the western Pacific so there "home region" is not just the western Pacific.
0 likes   

Return to “2020”