Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: INVEST 96L - Discussion

#121 Postby Iceresistance » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:30 am

30 mph & 1007 MB
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

tomatkins
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#122 Postby tomatkins » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:32 am

kevin wrote:Yes. Not to restart an OT ACE discussion, but ACE is very biased towards long lived open ocean systems, whose existence or absence doesn't per se determine how active or conductive a season is. But it does mostly determine the ACE, therefore putting seasons like 2020 with a more active Gulf compared to the open ocean at a disadvtange ACE wise. A season with a closed open ocean but hyperactive Gulf can still be hyperactive, but if you'd only use ACE it would be near impossible for such a season to reach hyperactive levels without at least one long lived storm in the Atlantic.

This is true - but most of 2005s ACE didn't come from open ocean storms. Only Emily was really a high intensity long tracker. You just had some real high end Gulf and Caribbean storms that lasted a while, where storms this year didn't quite max out so high and generally moved faster. Dennis, Katrina, Rita, and Wilma vs say Laura, Sally, Delta, and Zeta.
5 likes   

SconnieCane
Category 4
Category 4

#123 Postby SconnieCane » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:41 am

tomatkins wrote:
kevin wrote:Yes. Not to restart an OT ACE discussion, but ACE is very biased towards long lived open ocean systems, whose existence or absence doesn't per se determine how active or conductive a season is. But it does mostly determine the ACE, therefore putting seasons like 2020 with a more active Gulf compared to the open ocean at a disadvtange ACE wise. A season with a closed open ocean but hyperactive Gulf can still be hyperactive, but if you'd only use ACE it would be near impossible for such a season to reach hyperactive levels without at least one long lived storm in the Atlantic.

This is true - but most of 2005s ACE didn't come from open ocean storms. Only Emily was really a high intensity long tracker. You just had some real high end Gulf and Caribbean storms that lasted a while, where storms this year didn't quite max out so high and generally moved faster. Dennis, Katrina, Rita, and Wilma vs say Laura, Sally, Delta, and Zeta.

Laura could have generated a lot more ACE had it not hugged the GA for so long.
2 likes   

Laminar
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#124 Postby Laminar » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:43 am

Lets put our ACES back in our pants and get back to the subject at hand...
4 likes   
FAA ATP
Belize UAS Operator

us89
Category 1
Category 1

#125 Postby us89 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:49 am

tomatkins wrote:

And this is why ACE is a flawed measurement to start with. If you look at 2020, the individual cyclone that produced the most ACE by far was Teddy with around 27 units. Paulette and Delta both produced around 15 units, and despite its impressive peak intensity, Laura only produced 12. Nothing else has produced over 10 ACE units, and only three other storms (Isaias, Sally, Zeta) were over 4. It seems simply unfair that a storm like cat-2 Paulette could outperform nearly-cat-5 Laura, but that's how the math works out.

ACE is heavily weighted against storms that rapidly intensify into landfalls - which have not been hard to come by this season. These are also the types of storms that are the most impactful to lives and property.
3 likes   

Deshaunrob17
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#126 Postby Deshaunrob17 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:53 am

SconnieCane wrote:
tomatkins wrote:

Laura could have generated a lot more ACE had it not hugged the GA for so long.

Plus I believe the parade of MDR systems in September formed too far North... Example if Paulette had moved more south, it would have missed the shear and be a long tracked hurricane. Rene and Vicki basically went right into the shear too
2 likes   

Hypercane_Kyle
Category 5
Category 5

#127 Postby Hypercane_Kyle » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:53 am

Re: ACE, I'd rather take the long-tracked storm I know is coming vs. the surprise powerful hurricanes we've been seeing right at landfall this year.

Back to the topic at hand, 96L still has a lot of work to do, but the environment does look primed for quick intensification unfortunately.

5 likes   
My posts are my own personal opinion, defer to the National Hurricane Center (NHC) and other NOAA products for decision making during hurricane season.

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#128 Postby Iceresistance » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:53 am

Dvorak says that 96L it too weak to classify.
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#129 Postby NDG » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:54 am

By looking at the satellite this morning, it appears 96L already has a very small LLC racing to the west, ASCAT may not even catch it.
Will not really organize much until it gets to the central Caribbean.

1 likes   

ClarCari
Category 2
Category 2

#130 Postby ClarCari » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:54 am

There’s people posting in an ACE discussion in Talkin’ Tropics right now. It’d be better to join them about ACE there.

96L has so far the most ominous early signs of a system this season. Usually there’s one or two “doubts” that may or may not impede something, but this system has a basically perfect setup and it just now entered the Caribbean...
0 likes   

GCANE
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#131 Postby GCANE » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:56 am

Been seeing a couple east-to-west moving towers this morning around the cold pool that I think has developed at the top of the wave axis
1 likes   

AutoPenalti
Category 5
Category 5

#132 Postby AutoPenalti » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:56 am

NDG wrote:By looking at the satellite this morning, it appears 96L already has a very small LLC racing to the west, ASCAT may not even catch it.

https://i.imgur.com/jchqEIA.jpg

LLC either gets tucked in beneath all that convection or the LLC dies and a new one forms below it.
3 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

Model Runs Cheat Sheet:
GFS (5:30 AM/PM, 11:30 AM/PM)
HWRF, GFDL, UKMET, NAVGEM (6:30-8:00 AM/PM, 12:30-2:00 AM/PM)
ECMWF (1:45 AM/PM)

TCVN
is a weighted averaged

GCANE
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#133 Postby GCANE » Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:00 am

This does seem to indicate there is indeed a cold pool.
No warm core yet though.

0 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#134 Postby NDG » Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:20 am

There is my LLC 5 hours ago.

4 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#135 Postby Aric Dunn » Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:31 am

NDG wrote:By looking at the satellite this morning, it appears 96L already has a very small LLC racing to the west, ASCAT may not even catch it.

https://i.imgur.com/jchqEIA.jpg

westerly inflow cloud lines have been steadily increasing all morning on the south side as the convection has been building.

as it slows down later today and tonight it will likely start to take of very quickly.
2 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.
If there is nothing before... then just ask :)

Space & Atmospheric Physicist, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University,
I believe the sky is falling...

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#136 Postby Iceresistance » Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:33 am

ASCAT just missed the system at 9:08 AM CDT.
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

tiger_deF
Category 1
Category 1

#137 Postby tiger_deF » Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:45 am

Iceresistance wrote:ASCAT just missed the system at 9:08 AM CDT.

The sun also rose this morning
1 likes   

AnnularCane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#138 Postby AnnularCane » Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:03 am

Kind of off topic, I guess, but am I the only one constantly reading CA initially as California? It's driving me nuts. :lol:
6 likes   

kevin
Category 5
Category 5

#139 Postby kevin » Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:11 am

AnnularCane wrote:Kind of off topic, I guess, but am I the only one constantly reading CA initially as California? It's driving me nuts. :lol:

Haha, I know 2020 is a crazy season, but an Atlantic storm somehow landfalling in California is a bit too much :lol: .
1 likes   

CourierPR
Category 5
Category 5

#140 Postby CourierPR » Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:11 am

AnnularCane wrote:Kind of off topic, I guess, but am I the only one constantly reading CA initially as California? It's driving me nuts. :lol:

Yes, we all have to learn the jargon with that and words like bury and eject.
1 likes   

Return to “2020”