ATL: LORENZO - Post-Tropical - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

hurricanes1234
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: LORENZO - Hurricane - Discussion

#461 Postby hurricanes1234 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:21 pm

northjaxpro wrote:
Ptarmigan wrote:I am not surprised that Lorenzo is a Category 5 hurricane.

Me either. I stated earlier in the week on this thread that he had a good shot at achieiving history out in the Far Eastern Tropical Atlantic basin.

He has indeed!! An increfible ttopical cyclone! I still maintain he msy have reached Cat 5 intensity back on Thursday night. So, he has had 2 rapid intensification cycles in the past 48 hours!
Simply amazing!

If I remember correctly, it was also you who mentioned in the first pages of the Dorian thread that you felt as though the precursor for Dorian (99L) would grow into a potentially formidable tropical cyclone.
:double:
7 likes   
PLEASE NOTE: With the exception of information from weather agencies that I may copy and paste here, my posts will NEVER be official, since I am NOT a meteorologist. They are solely my amateur opinion, and may or may not be accurate. Therefore, please DO NOT use them as official details, particularly when making important decisions. Thank you.

EquusStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#462 Postby EquusStorm » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:27 pm

Legitimately an out of place supertyphoon. Seems to have been nothing even remotely comparable in the satellite era; I don't know what we would even call this besides an Atlantic typhoon. Might also join the record books as one of the few 5s to avoid retirement unless it hits the Azores extremely hard. In which case Luigi is the only appropriate replacement to match Mario on the EPac list.
15 likes   
Colors of lost purpose on the canvas of irrelevance

Not a meteorologist, in fact more of an idiot than anything. You should probably check with the NHC or a local NWS office for official information.

zal0phus
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#463 Postby zal0phus » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:33 pm

EquusStorm wrote:Legitimately an out of place supertyphoon. Seems to have been nothing even remotely comparable in the satellite era; I don't know what we would even call this besides an Atlantic typhoon. Might also join the record books as one of the few 5s to avoid retirement unless it hits the Azores extremely hard. In which case Luigi is the only appropriate replacement to match Mario on the EPac list.

I think it has a fair shot at retirement as is honestly; between its Category 5 status and how it destroyed the Bourbon Rhode I think that could get it pulled. Like with Joaquin and the El Faro.
0 likes   
And it all comes tumbling down, tumbling down, tumbling down...
And I just keep letting me down, letting me down, letting me down...

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#464 Postby northjaxpro » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:52 pm

hurricanes1234 wrote:
northjaxpro wrote:
Ptarmigan wrote:I am not surprised that Lorenzo is a Category 5 hurricane.

Me either. I stated earlier in the week on this thread that he had a good shot at achieiving history out in the Far Eastern Tropical Atlantic basin.

He has indeed!! An incredible tropical cyclone! I still maintain he msy have reached Cat 5 intensity back on Thursday night. So, he has had 2 rapid intensification cycles in the past 48 hours!
Simply amazing!

If I remember correctly, it was also you who mentioned in the first pages of the Dorian thread that you felt as though the precursor for Dorian (99L) would grow into a potentially formidable tropical cyclone.

:uarrow: Yes indeed I did state that early in the Dorian thread. I had forgotten that I did mention that until you just reminded me of that.

Yes, 2019 Atlantic Hurricane Season is one for the ages for sure!! Heck we still have October to come!!
4 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#465 Postby northjaxpro » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:59 pm

Last edited by northjaxpro on Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#466 Postby tolakram » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:02 pm

Incredible, I just discovered it had reached cat 5.
1 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

TallyTracker
Category 2
Category 2

#467 Postby TallyTracker » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:11 pm

WPAC: “Hey where is that super typhoon I ordered?”

Operator: “It appears to have jumped off the train a little early.”

WPAC: “Oh did the EPAC grab it? Or the West Caribbean?”

Operator: “Nope! This one jumped off in the East Atlantic...”

WPAC: “ :double:

:D
17 likes   
Fran '96, Georges '98, Gordon '00, Gabrielle '01, Charley '04, Frances '04, Jeanne '04, Barry '07, Fay '08, Debby '12, Matthew '16, Emily '17, Irma '17, Michael ‘18, Elsa ‘21, Fred ‘21, Mindy ‘21, Nicole ‘22, Idalia ‘23

DioBrando
Category 4
Category 4

#468 Postby DioBrando » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:16 pm

EquusStorm wrote:Legitimately an out of place supertyphoon. Seems to have been nothing even remotely comparable in the satellite era; I don't know what we would even call this besides an Atlantic typhoon. Might also join the record books as one of the few 5s to avoid retirement unless it hits the Azores extremely hard. In which case Luigi is the only appropriate replacement to match Mario on the EPac list.

If it does happen it could actually happen... both names are Italian origin (I'm Italian myself, sharing the same name with this storm) and don't they have to match the same language?

I won't be surprised if I blow up to 170mph at this rate. (And I'm loving it! I'm beautiful, right?)
3 likes   
blonde stacey (xe/xem/xir)

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#469 Postby northjaxpro » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:20 pm

Astromanía wrote:2019 ATL season has an hurricane from each category on saffir-simpson scale
Cat 1: Barry
Cat 2: Jerry
Cat 3: Humberto
Cat 4: Lorenzo
Cat 5: Dorian

Edit: "Female hurricanes" are not agressive this year :P, only "male hurricanes" :lol:

Cat 1 Barry
Cat 2 Jerry
Cat 3 Humberto

Cat 5: Lorenzo

We now can skip over Cat 4 for the time being. :wink:

I will say we will have a decent shot of seeing possibly a Cat 4 later in October.
3 likes   

FireRat
Category 5
Category 5

#470 Postby FireRat » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:23 pm

No way, I can't believe this!!
:double:

Wooooooow. amazing! Cat 5!!
1 likes   
Georges '98, Irene '99, Frances '04, Jeanne '04, Katrina '05, Wilma '05, Gustav '08, Isaac '12, Matthew '16, Florence '18, Michael '18, Ian '22

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#471 Postby CrazyC83 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:24 pm

zal0phus wrote:

I think it has a fair shot at retirement as is honestly; between its Category 5 status and how it destroyed the Bourbon Rhode I think that could get it pulled. Like with Joaquin and the El Faro.

Who would make the case? Portugal (Azores) is not on the RA IV committee.
0 likes   

AxaltaRacing24
Category 5
Category 5

#472 Postby AxaltaRacing24 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:25 pm

EquusStorm wrote:What the actual hecking heck 2019. Bye Isabel/Hugo/Irma.

I thought the OHC here supported far under 140kt AND that weakening had started. Never in a billion years would I have believed this is a thing that's happening now, at that location, last week. Climatology is being hardcore chunked in the trash these last few years.

This is a place that should have a cat 5 on MS Paint maps I made when I was twelve, not on an actual Atlantic map. Suffice to say it's hard to believe this is a thing that's happening :eek: The second half of this decade is kicking itself into overdrive and making up for the first half in high end intensity I swear

First half was wild too. Honestly only the middle years, (2013,2014,2015), were dismal.
1 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#473 Postby CrazyC83 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:32 pm

The thing we have to remember: the record for intense hurricanes in the position of Lorenzo is quite short. It is certainly possible that there were other category 5 storms out there where Lorenzo is, but they would have gone undetected until about 50 years ago.
7 likes   

DioBrando
Category 4
Category 4

#474 Postby DioBrando » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:39 pm

northjaxpro wrote:
Astromanía wrote:2019 ATL season has an hurricane from each category on saffir-simpson scale
Cat 1: Barry
Cat 2: Jerry
Cat 3: Humberto
Cat 4: Lorenzo

Edit: "Female hurricanes" are not agressive this year :P, only "male hurricanes" :lol:

Cat 1 Barry
Cat 2 Jerry
Cat 3 Humberto

Cat 5: Lorenzo

We now can skip over Cat 4 for the time being. :wink:

I will say we will have a decent shot of seeing possibly a Cat 4 later in October.

Another one for the boys anyone?
1 likes   
blonde stacey (xe/xem/xir)

bob rulz
Category 5
Category 5

#475 Postby bob rulz » Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:01 am

CrazyC83 wrote:The thing we have to remember: the record for intense hurricanes in the position of Lorenzo is quite short. It is certainly possible that there were other category 5 storms out there where Lorenzo is, but they would have gone undetected until about 50 years ago.

I would imagine that particularly powerful storms in the East Atlantic would still have been detected, though it's unlikely they would have had any basis to categorize them as category 5 back then.

Even considering the PoR is quite short in that area of the world, it's still an incredible accomplishment. Honestly there's a great chance a lot of cat 5's were underanalyzed before the satellite era, even in well-traveled areas.
0 likes   

StruThiO
Category 3
Category 3

#476 Postby StruThiO » Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:06 am

#2019ing

8 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#477 Postby CrazyC83 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:08 am

bob rulz wrote:
CrazyC83 wrote:The thing we have to remember: the record for intense hurricanes in the position of Lorenzo is quite short. It is certainly possible that there were other category 5 storms out there where Lorenzo is, but they would have gone undetected until about 50 years ago.

I would imagine that particularly powerful storms in the East Atlantic would still have been detected, though it's unlikely they would have had any basis to categorize them as category 5 back then.

Even considering the PoR is quite short in that area of the world, it's still an incredible accomplishment. Honestly there's a great chance a lot of cat 5's were underanalyzed before the satellite era, even in well-traveled areas.

The only way would have been if a ship ran into the core and measured an intense wind or low pressure. It's not exactly a busy shipping area anyway. And to get an official cat 5 out there, a ship would likely have to grab a pressure below 930 after entering the eye, or at least the eyewall, which is a very tiny area compared to the Atlantic as a whole or even the storm's footprint (and survive to tell about it). I believe the lowest pressure recorded by a ship in that part of the world is in the 970s, which is only good enough to analyze as a category 2 hurricane.
1 likes   

Blizzard96x
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#478 Postby Blizzard96x » Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:25 am

Definitely a great point. Glad to be able to witness it in our technological era.
0 likes   

EquusStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#479 Postby EquusStorm » Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:39 am

DioBrando wrote:

If it does happen it could actually happen... both names are Italian origin (I'm Italian myself, sharing the same name with this storm) and don't they have to match the same language?

I won't be surprised if I blow up to 170mph at this rate. (And I'm loving it! I'm beautiful, right?)

I've always assumed is that it's usually a name picked by the language of the country that retires it buuut this doesn't seem to be always the case at all so being replaced by the same nationality is definitely reasonable. I'm floored that Luigi would actually be a possibility if it does get retired ahaha
1 likes   
Colors of lost purpose on the canvas of irrelevance

Not a meteorologist, in fact more of an idiot than anything. You should probably check with the NHC or a local NWS office for official information.

HurricaneA
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#480 Postby HurricaneA » Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:47 am

EquusStorm wrote:
DioBrando wrote:

I've always assumed is that it's usually a name picked by the language of the country that retires it buuut this doesn't seem to be always the case at all so being replaced by the same nationality is definitely reasonable. I'm floored that Luigi would actually be a possibility if it does get retired ahaha

Would be hilarious if Lorenzo was replaced with Luigi, especially since we have Mario for the EPAC lol.
2 likes   

Return to “2019”