Moderator: S2k Moderators

PavelGaborik10
Category 1
Category 1

Re: ATL: BARRY - Hurricane - Discussion

#1901 Postby PavelGaborik10 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:01 pm

supercane4867 wrote:"Hurricane" Barry

https://i.imgur.com/cxpwoFi.jpg

My goodness that is one of the saddest looking "hurricanes" I've ever seen in my life.
3 likes   

PTrackerLA
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: BARRY - Tropical Storm - Discussion

#1902 Postby PTrackerLA » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:04 pm

Still relatively calm here but skies have darkened. Lightning activity is starting to pick up offshore as the squall south of Vermilion bay looks like it's starting to inch inland.
1 likes   

StormLogic
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#1903 Postby StormLogic » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:10 pm

winds picking up, NW winds now instead of NE
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#1904 Postby wxman57 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:11 pm

12Z UKMET now has landfall in NW Vermilion Bay. It's catching on. Better late than never.
8 likes   

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1905 Postby chaser1 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:15 pm

dl20415 wrote:Im on Hwy 90 2miles south of Jeanerette. Steady wind at 45, gusting over 60

Makes sense; you have that strong rain band pulling up and into your area. Needless to say, but with "Hurricane Barely" more or less centered over or near Abbeville, it's tightly wrapped ( :roflmao: ) eastern semi-circle eye wall appears to be moving over your area. If the decoupled mid level vorticity to the south remains vigorous, then you and potentially points east of you might well receive copious amounts of rain from this hybrid abortion of a hurricane
1 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

ava_ati
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#1906 Postby ava_ati » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:16 pm

wxman57 wrote:12Z UKMET now has landfall in NW Vermilion Bay. It's catching on. Better late than never.

Now is when it loops out to sea and heads towards TX :lol:

Disclaimer: just a joke everyone it actually isn't doing that, from what I can tell
5 likes   

Hypercane_Kyle
Category 5
Category 5

#1907 Postby Hypercane_Kyle » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:19 pm

So did Barry make landfall as a hurricane then moved inland, or did Barry weaken to a TS and made landfall?
0 likes   
My posts are my own personal opinion, defer to the National Hurricane Center (NHC) and other NOAA products for decision making during hurricane season.

HurricaneBelle
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1908 Postby HurricaneBelle » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:23 pm

Hypercane_Kyle wrote:So did Barry make landfall as a hurricane then moved inland, or did Barry weaken to a TS and made landfall?

Hurricane.

https://twitter.com/NHC_Atlantic/status/1150103305894408194

0 likes   

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1909 Postby chaser1 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:24 pm

Hypercane_Kyle wrote:So did Barry make landfall as a hurricane then moved inland, or did Barry weaken to a TS and made landfall?

You left out one possible senario LOL; Option 3: Make land-fall and then get upgraded to a hurricane :ggreen:
0 likes   

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1910 Postby chaser1 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:30 pm

PavelGaborik10 wrote:
supercane4867 wrote:"Hurricane" Barry

https://i.imgur.com/cxpwoFi.jpg

My goodness that is one of the saddest looking "hurricanes" I've ever seen in my life.

Well, it certainly WOULD be a candidate for my "top 5" sad list anyway. Hey?! What a great idea for an all-time "Saddest 5 Hurricanes Ever" trivia/list though LOL!
2 likes   

Astromanía
Category 2
Category 2

#1911 Postby Astromanía » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:37 pm

Sorry but this is not an hurricane, not even close, overrated storm :roll:
0 likes   

Nimbus
Category 5
Category 5

#1912 Postby Nimbus » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:38 pm

They had plenty of hurricane force gusts recorded out on the oil rigs but I wasn't even thinking they would upgrade it. Looking at all those dry high cirrus clouds inland maybe Barry will dry up a lot quicker than forecast. Still going to be some feeder bands with some heavy squalls but the dry slots between those sure will help the flooding situation.
1 likes   

sphelps8681
Category 2
Category 2

#1913 Postby sphelps8681 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:43 pm

What do ya'll think about this.

It looks like a secondary center is trying to form on Hurricane Barry's flank over the gulf to the south-southeast of Houston/Galveston. Storm tops have warmed (lowered) near the main center along the Louisiana coast, while tops have cooled (risen) near the secondary feature. This may slow down the storm's movement further into Louisiana today and perhaps cause the main center to wobble more to the west. I would not be surprised for the National Hurricane Center to expand Tropical Storm Warning coverage to the eastern Texas coast.

By the way...anyone else see the face of Barry?

1 pm Update...A favorable sign is that winds from buoy and drilling rigs in the gulf of the southeast TX coast remain out of the northwest. This suggests that this secondary circulation peripheral to Barry's main center is not doing more than slowing down the hurricane's northwest movement. Still bad for Louisiana but probably not a big deal for Port Arthur or points west. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... I6tq&ifg=1
2 likes   

Craters
Category 1
Category 1

#1914 Postby Craters » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:44 pm

Holy crap. I was just looking at the latest 1-hour radar loop of Barry's circulation. The area around Mobile Bay -- particularly the eastern side -- is getting hammered...
0 likes   
Nothing that I post here should ever be treated as a forecast or anything resembling one. Please check with your local NWS office or the NHC for forecasts, watches, and warnings.

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#1915 Postby Hammy » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:51 pm

Astromanía wrote:Sorry but this is not an hurricane, not even close, overrated storm :roll:

Winds met the criteria, it's a hurricane. Likely had been since late last night in fact.
12 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

johngaltfla
Category 5
Category 5

#1916 Postby johngaltfla » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:04 pm

Astromanía wrote:Sorry but this is not an hurricane, not even close, overrated storm :roll:

There are many cases where a storm may not have the looks or intensity one envisions with a hurricane; yet in some cases they are more dangerous. Despite the drama of massive storm surge, high winds, etc. a slow moving storm like this could wipe out thousands of homes and cause massive damage to the agricultural businesses in its path. Just because we don't see a 928 mb reading and 155 mph wind does not mean its "overrated"; it's just as dangerous if not more so because people will not take the threat seriously.
Last edited by johngaltfla on Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
7 likes   

AdamFirst
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1917 Postby AdamFirst » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:13 pm

Extreme outer bands have been drenching coastal Alabama and the western Florida panhandle, tornado warned storm rotating north

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED
Tornado Warning
National Weather Service Mobile AL
202 PM CDT Sat Jul 13 2019

The National Weather Service in Mobile has issued a

* Tornado Warning for...
Monroe County in south central Alabama...
Northwestern Escambia County in south central Alabama...
Western Conecuh County in south central Alabama...

* Until 300 PM CDT.

* At 202 PM CDT, a severe thunderstorm capable of producing a tornado
was located over I65 And AL 21, or 5 miles north of Atmore, moving
northeast at 30 mph.

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED
Flash Flood Warning
National Weather Service Mobile AL
1236 PM CDT Sat Jul 13 2019

The National Weather Service in Mobile has issued a

* Flash Flood Warning for...
Mobile County in southwestern Alabama...
Baldwin County in southwestern Alabama...
Western Escambia County in south central Alabama...
Northwestern Escambia County in northwestern Florida...

* Until 630 PM CDT.

* At 1235 PM CDT, Doppler radar indicated heavy rain across the
warned area. Up to three inches of rain have already fallen. Also
rainfall rates have been observed between two and three inches per
hour lcoally. Flash flooding is expected to begin shortly.
1 likes   
Dolphins Marlins Canes Golden Panthers HEAT
Andrew 1992 - Irene 1999 - Frances 2004 - Jeanne 2004 - Wilma 2005 - Fay 2008 - Isaac 2012 - Matthew 2016 - Irma 2017 - Dorian 2019 - Ian 2022 - Nicole 2022

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1918 Postby chaser1 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:16 pm

Hammy wrote:

Winds met the criteria, it's a hurricane. Likely had been since late last night in fact.

I think that is a very debatable point. If solely based on wind, then we'd commonly define Aleutian Island Low's, Nor'Easters, and other baroclinic Atlantic low pressure systems "hurricanes" as well. While Barry did in fact deepen over water, it's transition from non tropical to tropical had not quite fully allowed Barry to develop a well defined COC. We've seen tropical storms or depressions open up into tropical waves yet continue to have deep convection removed from center that continued to cause gale force winds; In spite of this however, such systems fell well short of being defined as a tropical storm. I could accept the possibly argument that Barry was possibly only 12 or so hours away from developing a better defined core and a much less asymmetrical appearance, but at the point of landfall it had not.
1 likes   

Hurricane_Apu
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#1919 Postby Hurricane_Apu » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:28 pm

After more than three hours in the eye/calm center, winds are finally picking up again in Lafayette. We may be getting that strong band/partial eyewall/whatever from the south soon...
0 likes   

MississippiWx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1920 Postby MississippiWx » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:35 pm

The good thing about recon data is it doesn’t care about opinions. Barry was a hurricane and there is plenty of evidence to prove it. Coastal Louisiana residents on the east side of the center would be happy to enlighten anyone one who doubts this was a hurricane. They have been battered for 24 hours straight by high winds and surge.
13 likes   
This post is not an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of MississippiWx and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Return to “2019”