ATL: MATTHEW - Post-Tropical - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

seahawkjd
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: ATL: MATTHEW - Hurricane - Discussion

#10741 Postby seahawkjd » Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:56 pm

Looking at the NHC site, Matthew would have to go ESE at this point to hit its 5pm point. Its starting to get pretty windy here, at least its now just a weak 1, strong TS.
1 likes   
Gloria, Hugo, Emily, Bertha, Bonnie, Dennis (twice), Fran, Floyd, Isabel, Irene, Arthur, Matthew, Florence, Dorian (and many tropical storms and nor'easters).

Vdogg
Category 2
Category 2

#10742 Postby Vdogg » Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:57 pm

terrapintransit wrote:Safe to say that it did end up moving more north. Be safe Vdogg..

Vdogg wrote:Some outer bands moving into Va. Beach with moderate rain. Winds picking up. Bad winds and rain are not supposed to be here till tonight as storm moves up the coast. Expecting 50+ mph winds and 10 inches of rain.

Yup. We always get these storms in November/ October. Only difference is they usually start in the Gulf. They usually ride up the coast and turn extratropical once they reach our latitude. Some of our worst storms have been Nor'easters with winds sometimes reaching hurricane force. I never bought that loop south after S. Carolina. It was nonsensical and went completely contrary to any storm I've seen come through this area in the 20 years I've lived here.
2 likes   

FixySLN
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#10743 Postby FixySLN » Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:01 pm

Vdogg wrote:
terrapintransit wrote:Safe to say that it did end up moving more north. Be safe Vdogg..

Vdogg wrote:Some outer bands moving into Va. Beach with moderate rain. Winds picking up. Bad winds and rain are not supposed to be here till tonight as storm moves up the coast. Expecting 50+ mph winds and 10 inches of rain.

Yup. We always get these storms in November/ October. Only difference is they usually start in the Gulf. They usually ride up the coast and turn extratropical once they reach our latitude. Some of our worst storms have been Nor'easters with winds sometimes reaching hurricane force. I never bought that loop south after S. Carolina. It was nonsensical and went completely contrary to any storm I've seen come through this area in the 20 years I've lived here.

Problem is we're already saturated with rain from the last few weeks. Loose soil, saturated ground, and the cold front are going to make for some issues when we get this rain. Some areas are projected to get 10-12 inches. Nowhere for that water to go at this point.
1 likes   

Bane
Category 2
Category 2

#10744 Postby Bane » Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:14 pm

There's flooding throughout central North Carolina at this time.
2 likes   

NC George
Category 2
Category 2

#10745 Postby NC George » Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:31 pm

FixySLN wrote:

Problem is we're already saturated with rain from the last few weeks. Loose soil, saturated ground, and the cold front are going to make for some issues when we get this rain. Some areas are projected to get 10-12 inches. Nowhere for that water to go at this point.

In my area although the ground is saturated, but the rivers and streams aren't full. To compare with our last flooding Hurricane, the Tar River in Greenville is a 6 feet, when Floyd hit it was over 12 feet (flood stage is 15 feet.) I will say that ther is already about an inch of water completely covering my yard, but it's all flowing into drainage as it should for now.

Pressure is now at 1001 mb, another inch of rain (now at 2.6 storm total) WInd gusts in the trees around me, but not really making all the way to the ground.
0 likes   
Bertha '96, Fran '96, Bonnie '98, Dennis '99, Floyd '99 :eek: , Isabel '03, Irene '11, Matthew '16, Isaias '20, PTC16????

Avatar is heading into Florence 2018, moving friend's boat, only land between us and Hurricane Florence is Ocracoke Island!

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#10746 Postby Steve » Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:41 pm

Sounds like a rough afternoon 331. Hope you don't get much worse but if you already have gusts to 80, that's about as much punch as it should have inland beyond the sporadic tornado.
1 likes   

jaxfladude
Category 5
Category 5

#10747 Postby jaxfladude » Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:45 pm

Checking in from Jacksonville, Florida(East Arlington) never lost power(it flickered at times), some branches and twigs, littering the backyard..greater neighborhood area had some old wooden fences blown down..a few trees also down, no damages to homes, cars, that I can tell.. :flag: some cleanup ahead...
3 likes   
Stay safe y'all

pgoss11
Category 2
Category 2

#10748 Postby pgoss11 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:48 pm

Checking in from Charleston. Wild night but we're ok here. Small leak in our ceiling from lost roof shingles. Finally got power and cell phone service back but extreme flooding in sections of Charleston. I think after all has been accessed this will be quite the disaster in this area. Hope all affected from Matthew are safe.
5 likes   

Pughetime12
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#10749 Postby Pughetime12 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:57 pm

pgoss11 wrote:Checking in from Charleston. Wild night but we're ok here. Small leak in our ceiling from lost roof shingles. Finally got power and cell phone service back but extreme flooding in sections of Charleston. I think after all has been accessed this will be quite the disaster in this area. Hope all affected from Matthew are safe.

Glad you are okay, seems like the same experience we had in Mt. Pleasant. Small roof leak that looks like it's from rain getting in to the exhaust fan vent. Tree fell but it was a smaller one and fell on fence where there's 4 boards that need to be replaced. Lost power for 20 minutes, internet and Dish Network stayed on the whole time. No flooding in house but backyard is full of water. Wind was crazy and very fortunate to have the minimal damage that we had.
4 likes   

Raebie
Category 3
Category 3

#10750 Postby Raebie » Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:57 pm

Fayetteville is having catastrophic flooding. Daughter in Wilmington still has power. Heavy rain band moved north. Waiting on more and then high winds. Riverfront is under water
2 likes   

syfr
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#10751 Postby syfr » Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:05 pm

Lost power in johnston County just southeast of Raleigh about 20 miles. Heavy rain some road flooding locally and high Gusty winds probably in the 40 to 50 mile an hour gust range. Some local roads flooded to levels that haven't been seen since Fran. I wish the power would come back on you all be safe okay?
3 likes   
I'm not a meteorologist, I'm an electronics engineer. While I can probably fix your toaster oven, you're not going to learn about storms from me!

New Mexico had no hurricanes. Then I moved to NC right before Fran.....

seahawkjd
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#10752 Postby seahawkjd » Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:19 pm

Thought that we had lost power here because my computer turned off suddenly. Turns out the cat decided to stand on the power button for my desktop.
6 likes   
Gloria, Hugo, Emily, Bertha, Bonnie, Dennis (twice), Fran, Floyd, Isabel, Irene, Arthur, Matthew, Florence, Dorian (and many tropical storms and nor'easters).

Vdogg
Category 2
Category 2

#10753 Postby Vdogg » Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:23 pm

Heavy rain rolling in, winds picking up. We'll be in trouble if it's 12 hours of this. We flood in a summer thunderstormonths, lol. Speaking of which, saw some lightning too. Unusual for these systems.
0 likes   

hipshot
Category 1
Category 1

#10754 Postby hipshot » Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:25 pm

seahawkjd wrote:Thought that we had lost power here because my computer turned off suddenly. Turns out the cat decided to stand on the power button for my desktop.

Damn cat, hate that when it happens! LOL
0 likes   

underthwx
Category 5
Category 5

#10755 Postby underthwx » Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:29 pm

I tip my hat to all of you out there, whom, despite facing the same danger yourselves, maintained, and still are, providing vital information flowing to those directly in harms way, and for those who have family and friends in the path of the storm. Continue to be safe, and aware of ongoing, storm related issues.
2 likes   

NCBuckeye
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

#10756 Postby NCBuckeye » Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:33 pm

Raebie wrote:Fayetteville is having catastrophic flooding. Daughter in Wilmington still has power. Heavy rain band moved north. Waiting on more and then high winds. Riverfront is under water

Fayetteville flooding. Still hours of rain to come.
2 likes   

NC George
Category 2
Category 2

#10757 Postby NC George » Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:49 pm

Vdogg wrote:Heavy rain rolling in, winds picking up. We'll be in trouble if it's 12 hours of this. We flood in a summer thunderstormonths, lol. Speaking of which, saw some lightning too. Unusual for these systems.

I heard a long, loud rumbling thunder about 30 minutes ago, and though to myself, that's strange for a tropical system.
1 likes   
Bertha '96, Fran '96, Bonnie '98, Dennis '99, Floyd '99 :eek: , Isabel '03, Irene '11, Matthew '16, Isaias '20, PTC16????

Avatar is heading into Florence 2018, moving friend's boat, only land between us and Hurricane Florence is Ocracoke Island!

NC George
Category 2
Category 2

#10758 Postby NC George » Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:50 pm

NCBuckeye wrote:
Raebie wrote:Fayetteville is having catastrophic flooding. Daughter in Wilmington still has power. Heavy rain band moved north. Waiting on more and then high winds. Riverfront is under water

Fayetteville flooding. Still hours of rain to come.

Any idea of what street that was? That's bad. Real bad.
0 likes   

Sanibel
Category 5
Category 5

#10759 Postby Sanibel » Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:51 pm

Matthew's butting up against a cooler, drier air front that would explain the thunder.
2 likes   

NCWeatherChic
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#10760 Postby NCWeatherChic » Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:53 pm

syfr wrote:Lost power in johnston County just southeast of Raleigh about 20 miles. Heavy rain some road flooding locally and high Gusty winds probably in the 40 to 50 mile an hour gust range. Some local roads flooded to levels that haven't been seen since Fran. I wish the power would come back on you all be safe okay?

I'm out by the McGee's Xrds area and I have power but it is flickering often. I have two roof leaks and my neigbors have lost every Leland cypress due to saturated grounds and wind. I emptied the rain gauge about 3 hrs ago and it was full at 6" already. Hubby was called in this morning with the NC DOT but he setup the generator for me in case I needed it. No doubt we are seeing gust to 30- 50mph at times.

Is it supposed to get worse as the evening rolls in or better?
1 likes   

Return to “2016”