Moderator: S2k Moderators

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#21 Postby TheStormExpert » Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:34 am

12z Track Guidance :darrow:

12z Intensity Guidance :darrow:

0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#22 Postby gatorcane » Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:46 am

Big difference between the GFS Ensembles and ECMWF Ensembles by hour 192 regarding the ridge/trough setup over the Western Atlantic and Eastern North America with the ECMWF as usual, showing much more of a ridge:

ECMWF Ensembles:

GFS Ensembles:

The 00Z GEM model has this system "crawling" NW at the end of the run in the vicinity of the Bahamas:
0 likes   

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#23 Postby northjaxpro » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:02 am

Regarding 98L long range, just want to re'emphasize again that the recurve scenario is certainly no guarantee just yet. I know you guys know this, but I just felt the need to state this nonetheless.....
0 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

BobHarlem
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#24 Postby BobHarlem » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:23 am

northjaxpro wrote:Regarding 98L long range, just want to re'emphasize again that the recurve scenario is certainly no guarantee just yet. I know you guys know this, but I just felt the need to state this nonetheless.....

Both major model sets show it and climatology favors it, what you say may be true, but the odds favor it recurving.
0 likes   

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Re:

#25 Postby northjaxpro » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:37 am

BobHarlem wrote:
northjaxpro wrote:Regarding 98L long range, just want to re'emphasize again that the recurve scenario is certainly no guarantee just yet. I know you guys know this, but I just felt the need to state this nonetheless.....

Both major model sets show it and climatology favors it, what you say may be true, but the odds favor it recurving.

Fair enough. But I would wait just a bit longer before taking those odds and wagering on it at Vegas or Atlantic City.
0 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#26 Postby LarryWx » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:53 am

BobHarlem wrote:

IF it becomes a TC in the E MDR, then odds would strongly favor it not reaching the CONUS, especially with it being a strong El Niño, due mainly to recurvature or dissipation before it could reach there. The longterm odds of any one system developing there in August and reaching the CONUS during a strong Nino is likely no higher than about 15% based on many decades of records. However, that means there is always the chance this one would be an exception such as was the case in 1899:

http://weather.unisys.com/hurricane/atl ... /track.gif

However, IF 98L were to not become a TC until much further west, say close to the Lesser Antilles, then that would obviously be a whole different ballgame oddswise, especially if it were to become a Caribbean Cruiser. It is way too early to know where, if at all, it will become a TC. Overall, I do think a Caribbean Cruiser is a nontrivial possibility this season though I think the chances for that would be higher as we get toward mid to late Sep vs late Aug.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#27 Postby northjaxpro » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:01 am

LarryWx wrote:
BobHarlem wrote:

IF it becomes a TC in the E MDR, then odds would strongly favor it not reaching the CONUS, especially with it being a strong El Niño, due mainly to recurvature or dissipation before it could reach there. The longterm odds of any one system developing there in August and reaching the CONUS during a strong Nino is likely no higher than about 15% based on many decades of records. However, that means there is always the chance this one would be an exception such as was the case in 1899:

http://weather.unisys.com/hurricane/atl ... /track.gif

However, IF 98L were to not become a TC until much further west, say close to the Lesser Antilles, then that would obviously be a whole different ballgame oddswise, especially if it were to become a Caribbean Cruiser. It is way too early to know where, if at all, it will become a TC.

All that discussion above proves the point I was making earlier. Thanks for providing your analysis.
The point is to watch this evolve carefully before 100% proclaiming that 98L will recurve.
0 likes   

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#28 Postby gatorcane » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:23 am

12Z GFS up soon. I think it is going to blow it up again. Let's see what it does this time.
0 likes   

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: ATL: INVEST 98L - Models

#29 Postby SFLcane » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:24 am

It's recurve city apparently with all these waves which is always a good thing. GFS ensembles showing just that with a weakness in subtropical ridge. Maybe a threat to Bermuda we shall see.
0 likes   

Hurricaneman
Category 5
Category 5

#30 Postby Hurricaneman » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:27 am

SFLcane wrote:It's recurve city apparently with all these waves which is always a good thing. GFS ensembles showing just that with a weakness in subtropical ridge. Maybe a threat to Bermuda we shall see.

Possibly Atlantic Canada and or New England and Long Island based on a lot of those too

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products
0 likes   

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#31 Postby SFLcane » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:30 am

Heres a view...ensembles.

0 likes   

perk
Category 3
Category 3

#32 Postby perk » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:34 am

SFLcane wrote:Heres a view...ensembles.

Only the GFS ensembles,what does the Euro ensembles show.Refer to the Euro ensemble post by gatorcane.
Last edited by perk on Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

SouthDadeFish
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#33 Postby SouthDadeFish » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:35 am

SFLcane wrote:It's recurve city apparently with all these waves which is always a good thing. GFS ensembles showing just that with a weakness in subtropical ridge. Maybe a threat to Bermuda we shall see.

Sure, if you trust 10-day model forecasts. And by the way, the deterministic run of the 00Z Euro brings this storm through the northern Antilles, near the Bahamas, and quite close to the eastern U.S. with a mid-level ridge building in over SE Canada. Way too early to say right now.
0 likes   

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#34 Postby northjaxpro » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:35 am

Odds favor the recurve scenario. I am not questioning that. I did not know I was opening a can of worms about this. I simply made a point in saying it is still early in the game and that the recurve scenario is not for certain yet a guarantee. Just remember folks this is a science and there are no 100% guarantees in weather forecasting you can take this fact to the bank and deposit it!!!!
Last edited by northjaxpro on Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
0 likes   

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#35 Postby gatorcane » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:36 am

perk wrote:
SFLcane wrote:Heres a view...ensembles.

http://www.ral.ucar.edu/hurricanes/real ... ck_gfs.png

Only the GFS ensembles,what does the Euro ensembles show.

They show more of a Western Atlantic ridge, I posted the graphic above and below again:

ECMWF Ensembles:
0 likes   

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#36 Postby SFLcane » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:38 am

SouthDadeFish wrote:

Sure, if you trust 10-day model forecasts. And by the way, the deterministic run of the 00Z Euro brings this storm through the northern Antilles, near the Bahamas, and quite close to the eastern U.S. with a mid-level ridge building in over SE Canada. Way too early to say right now.

Na ive yet to see any evidence of any type mid level ridging worth driving anything that far west. Odds are a trof will weaken the ridge and keep the 10+ year door open. :(
0 likes   

perk
Category 3
Category 3

Re:

#37 Postby perk » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:40 am

northjaxpro wrote:Odds favor the recurve scenario. I am not questioning that. I did not know I was opening a can of worms about this. I simply made a point in saying it is still early in the game and that the recurve scenario is not for certain yet a guarantee. Just remember folks this is a science and there are no 100% guarantees in weather forecasting you can this fact to the bank and deposit it!!!!

I'm not sure the odds favor one or the other after only a few model runs.We don't even have a center yet.
0 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#38 Postby TheStormExpert » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:42 am

SFLcane wrote:
SouthDadeFish wrote:

Na ive yet to see any evidence of any type mid level ridging worth driving anything that far west. Odds are a trof will weaken the ridge and keep the 10+ year door open. :(

There certainly has not been a persistent East Coast trough for 10+ years, more like for the past 5+ years makes sense.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#39 Postby tolakram » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:43 am

12Z GFS

Weak through 30 hours.

0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

perk
Category 3
Category 3

#40 Postby perk » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:45 am

SFLcane wrote:
SouthDadeFish wrote:

With the GFS showing a recurve and the Euro showing more of a ridge, in my opinion that puts the odds at 50/50.
0 likes   

Return to “2015”