WPAC: NEOGURI - Post-Tropical

Moderator: S2k Moderators

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: WPAC: NEOGURI - Typhoon

#121 Postby cycloneye » Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:50 pm

Recon would have been the true answer to the intensity question that we have. Lack of funding terminated that but hopefully in the near future it is restablished.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

xtyphooncyclonex
Category 5
Category 5

#122 Postby xtyphooncyclonex » Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:56 pm

cycloneye wrote:Recon would have been the true answer to the intensity question that we have. Lack of funding terminated that but hopefully in the near future it is restablished.

Because sometimes, Dvorak gives unusual intensity estimates, and sometimes puts the wrong center position of a cyclone. Yeah, I agree with putting recon back, and it gives better information and guidance for storm intensity.
0 likes   
REMINDER: My opinions that I, or any other NON Pro-Met in this forum, are unofficial. Please do not take my opinions as an official forecast and warning. I am NOT a meteorologist. Following my forecasts blindly may lead to false alarm, danger and risk if official forecasts from agencies are ignored.

mrbagyo
Category 5
Category 5

#123 Postby mrbagyo » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:06 pm

xtyphooncyclonex wrote:
cycloneye wrote:Recon would have been the true answer to the intensity question that we have. Lack of funding terminated that but hopefully in the near future it is restablished.

Because sometimes, Dvorak gives unusual intensity estimates, and sometimes puts the wrong center position of a cyclone. Yeah, I agree with putting recon back, and it gives better information and guidance for storm intensity.

when the bases are still in the Philippines, recon was not a problem, but since 1987, when the new constitution was signed... i don't know what happened. sorry for some politics there.
Last edited by mrbagyo on Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to RSMC, NHC and NWS products.

stormcruisin

Re: Re:

#124 Postby stormcruisin » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:06 pm

xtyphooncyclonex wrote:
stormcruisin wrote:JMA is only at 85.5 knots (1 min ) without recon just a lot of guesstimates atm .

Actually, they may be close to JTWC's estimate at 90 kts. The difference is only by 4.5 kts, so nothing major.

As we seen with the hurricanes in the epac 5 knots can make the difference between
c4 to c5.

On another note i don't want to sound ridiculously bullish but the way this is shaping up and the fuel source in the track.
I don't think its unreasonable to draw a inference to dare i say it another possible Haiyan strength super ty is on the cards here in the next few days.
0 likes   

xtyphooncyclonex
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Re:

#125 Postby xtyphooncyclonex » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:14 pm

stormcruisin wrote:
xtyphooncyclonex wrote:
stormcruisin wrote:JMA is only at 85.5 knots (1 min ) without recon just a lot of guesstimates atm .

Actually, they may be close to JTWC's estimate at 90 kts. The difference is only by 4.5 kts, so nothing major.

As we seen with the hurricanes in the epac 5 knots can make the difference between
c4 to c5.

On another note i don't want to sound ridiculously bullish but the way this is shaping up and the fuel source in the track.
I don't think its unreasonable to draw a inference to dare i say it another possible Haiyan strength super ty is on the cards here in the next few days.

As of the latest JTWC update, 140 kts is forecast, and it is quite early to forecast that, so yeah maybe even stronger than 140 kts.
0 likes   
REMINDER: My opinions that I, or any other NON Pro-Met in this forum, are unofficial. Please do not take my opinions as an official forecast and warning. I am NOT a meteorologist. Following my forecasts blindly may lead to false alarm, danger and risk if official forecasts from agencies are ignored.

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#126 Postby cycloneye » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:16 pm

Here is the Prognostic Reasoning of the 0300z warning by JTWC.

WDPN31 PGTW 050300
MSGID/GENADMIN/JOINT TYPHOON WRNCEN PEARL HARBOR HI//
SUBJ/PROGNOSTIC REASONING FOR TYPHOON 08W (NEOGURI) WARNING NR 09//
RMKS/
1. FOR METEOROLOGISTS.
2. 6 HOUR SUMMARY AND ANALYSIS.
TYPHOON (TY) 08W (NEOGURI), LOCATED APPROXIMATELY 889 NM SOUTHEAST
OF KADENA AB, OKINAWA, JAPAN, HAS TRACKED NORTHWESTWARD AT 11 KNOTS
OVER THE PAST SIX HOURS. ANIMATED MULTISPECTRAL SATELLITE IMAGERY
SHOWS THE SYSTEM HAS RAPIDLY DEEPENED AND CONSOLIDATED AS CURVED
BANDING WRAPPED TIGHTER INTO A RAGGED 25-NM EYE. THERE IS HIGH
CONFIDENCE IN THE INITIAL POSITION BASED ON THE ABOVE EYE FEATURE.
THE INITIAL INTENSITY IS AVERAGED FROM DVORAK ESTIMATES FROM PGTW,
KNES, AND RJTD. UPPER LEVEL ANALYSIS INDICATES THE SYSTEM IS 07
DEGREES SOUTH OF THE RIDGE AXIS IN AN AREA OF LIGHT TO MODERATE
(10-15 KNOT) VERTICAL WIND SHEAR; HOWEVER, THE CYCLONE HAS MAINTAINED
A MESOSCALE POINT SOURCE WHICH IS PROVIDING A HIGHLY-EFFECTIVE RADIAL
OUTFLOW MECHANISM. TY 08W IS TRACKING ALONG THE SOUTHERN PERIPHERY OF
A DEEP-LAYERED SUBTROPICAL RIDGE (STR) TO THE NORTH.
3. FORECAST REASONING.
A. NO CHANGE TO THE FORECAST PHILOSOPHY SINCE THE PREVIOUS
PROGNOSTIC REASONING MESSAGE.
B. TY 08W IS FORECAST TO TRACK NORTHWESTWARD THROUGH TAU 48 ALONG
THE SOUTHWEST PERIPHERY OF THE STR. AFTERWARDS, THE CYCLONE WILL TURN
MORE NORTHWARD AS IT ROUNDS THE WESTERN EDGE OF THE STR. THE SYSTEM
WILL CONTINUE TO INTENSIFY IN VIEW OF THE FAVORABLE CONDITIONS, IN
ADDITION TO PERENNIALLY WARM SEA SURFACE TEMPERATURES (SST) IN THE
PHILIPPINE SEA, PEAKING AT 140 KNOTS BY TAU 72.
C. IN THE EXTENDED TAUS, TY NEOGURI IS EXPECTED TO GRADUALLY
RECURVE AND TRACK NORTH-NORTHEASTWARD TOWARDS KYSHU, JAPAN. HOWEVER,
THE SYSTEM IS NOT EXPECTED TO ACCELERATE AND BEGIN EXTRA-TROPICAL
TRANSITION UNTIL AFTER TAU 120 WHEN THE SYSTEM FIRST BEGINS TO
ENCOUNTER INCREASING MID-LATITUDE WESTERLIES NEAR WESTERN JAPAN. TY
08W IS FORECAST TO GRADUALLY WEAKEN AFTER TAU 72 DUE TO DECREASING
SST AND, EVENTUALLY, LAND INTERACTION. DYNAMIC MODEL GUIDANCE REMAINS
IN TIGHT AGREEMENT, LENDING HIGH CONFIDENCE TO THE JTWC FORECAST
TRACK WHICH IS POSITIONED JUST TO THE RIGHT OF THE MULTI-MODEL
CONSENSUS TO OFFSET GFDN AND NAVGEM, THE LEFTMOST OUTLIERS THAT ARE
BIASED TOWARDS AN UNLIKELY WIDER TURN.//
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

dexterlabio
Category 5
Category 5

#127 Postby dexterlabio » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:27 pm

Where are the storm2k posters from Okinawa? I remember some who are active in the forum when the typhoon season heats up. And this howler is forecast to affect the island!
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

xtyphooncyclonex
Category 5
Category 5

#128 Postby xtyphooncyclonex » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:35 pm

If the forecast of JTWC holds true, or even stronger later on, it would be one of the strongest typhoons to ever strike Okinawa. I hope our members and guests from Okinawa would start preparing for this monster typhoon. STAY SAFE, OKINAWA!
0 likes   

supercane4867
Category 5
Category 5

#129 Postby supercane4867 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:37 pm

ECMWF is sticking on a more westward track, I doubt it may trends toward Ishigakijima rather than Okinawa
0 likes   

dexterlabio
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#130 Postby dexterlabio » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:47 pm

xtyphooncyclonex wrote:If the forecast of JTWC holds true, or even stronger later on, it would be one of the strongest typhoons to ever strike Okinawa. I hope our members and guests from Okinawa would start preparing for this monster typhoon. STAY SAFE, OKINAWA!

I know some posters in Okinawa who are willing to ride out the storm and enjoy the force of nature. :lol: I'm sure they are more thrilled than scared hearing the news of Neoguri threatening Okinawa. That's fine, though. The military bases there are sturdy enough to withstand typhoon-force winds. Talk about Japanese engineering. :D Just no surfing when the storm comes...
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

dexterlabio
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#131 Postby dexterlabio » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:50 pm

supercane4867 wrote:ECMWF is sticking on a more westward track, I doubt it may trends toward Ishigakijima rather than Okinawa

Both GFS and ECMWF are keeping the track west of the island. They trended a bit west from the previous runs showing a sharp recurve just east of Okinawa. Streamline analysis shows the STR extension holding strong, so I think a track between Naha and Ishigakijima is possible...
0 likes   

stormcruisin

#132 Postby stormcruisin » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:54 pm

GFS has it directly over Narha.
0 likes   

xtyphooncyclonex
Category 5
Category 5

#133 Postby xtyphooncyclonex » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:58 pm

JTWC has it at the western tip of Okinawa, while the JMA has it at the central part of the island as it recurves to the NNE.
0 likes   

xtyphooncyclonex
Category 5
Category 5

#134 Postby xtyphooncyclonex » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:03 pm

Um... The JTWC Warning #9 forecast of Neoguri is even stronger than JTWC Warning #10 of Haiyan. So, maybe stronger than Haiyan is possible?

JTWC Warning #10 for Haiyan had the storm peak at 130 knots.

Meanwhile, JTWC Warning #9 of Neoguri has it peaking at 140 knots.

0 likes   

stormcruisin

#135 Postby stormcruisin » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:26 pm

I would expect at some stage in the up coming 72 hours the JMA will raise the intensity forecast to violent then the beast will be off the leash.
0 likes   

xtyphooncyclonex
Category 5
Category 5

#136 Postby xtyphooncyclonex » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:00 pm

Impressive ECMWF run. 896 mb around the eyewall, and the pressure right at the eye might even be lower! This is what euro6208 was telling us about. From being the most conservative, here comes being the most bullish among the global models.

0 likes   

stormcruisin

#137 Postby stormcruisin » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:07 pm

Very big broad system unlike the midgit systems we have been seeing of late.

0 likes   

xtyphooncyclonex
Category 5
Category 5

#138 Postby xtyphooncyclonex » Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:32 am

JTWC updated their best track, and they have upgraded Neoguri to a category 4. So, Neoguri was a TS 12 hours ago, and now at category 4! Very very rapid intensification.

08W NEOGURI 140705 0600 16.0N 137.0E WPAC 115 937
0 likes   

HurricaneTracker2031
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#139 Postby HurricaneTracker2031 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:40 am

Neoguri a chance at being a stronger typhoon if it continues to intensify. Conditions appear to be advantageous for further strengthening. We will see what comes out of this...

Analysis on Neoguri and other tropical systems: http://goo.gl/FpWqpA

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS Products.

EDITED: From Strong to Stronger
Last edited by HurricaneTracker2031 on Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   
SHORT VERSION OF DISCLAIMER: THIS SITE LINK BELOW IS NOT AN OFFICIAL FORECASTING OFFICE AND SHOULD NOT BE USED TO MAKE ANY EMERGENCY DECISIONS....

http://www.macstropicalweather.weebly.com

stormcruisin

#140 Postby stormcruisin » Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:47 am

Its already a l large strong typhoon.

0 likes   

Return to “2014”