ATL: SANDY - Remnants - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Terry
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: ATL: SANDY - Post-Tropical - Discussion

#3741 Postby Terry » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:02 am

From my friend on Cape May: Ocean Drive, Nummy Island. A section on Ocean Drive outside of Avalon has been washed out. The road has been closed indefinitely!

0 likes   

JuliannaMKH
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#3742 Postby JuliannaMKH » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:29 am

I had to stop last night when I realized I was crying.
Listening to Gov. Christie's presser this morning and the news coming out of it is terrible. "The level of devastation along the Jersey shore, is unthinkable." He stated there are houses in the middle of route 35. Also major damage to the train system - tracks washed away or moved. Train cars themselves washed off the tracks.
From the BBC: "New Jersey Governor Christie says three deaths have been reported in the state. Two of the victims were a couple killed by a falling tree after they got out of their pick-up truck for an unknown reason. Their two children, aged 11 and 14, remained in the car and were injured."
0 likes   

Terry
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3743 Postby Terry » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:02 am

The local ABC station continues to do an excellent job of reporting. CNN just cut away to them and a live rescue event in Little Ferry, NJ. (Levee breach area? )
http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/livenow?id=8857235
0 likes   

NoCalGal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3744 Postby NoCalGal » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:07 am

Thank YOU to S2K for their complete coverage of events the last 2 days. It has
been valuable to many. My thoughts are with the NYC folks and the responders this morning. Again, Thanks.
0 likes   

brunota2003
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3745 Postby brunota2003 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:09 am

Stephanie wrote:High wind warning cancelled for my area, may get some gusts later. I still have power which is a miracle in itself since I normally lose it for thunderstorms and many other stupid things. The trees stayed vertical and I feel VERY FORTUNATE.

I think a lot that helped people with the power is that most trees (especially up here) have deleafed already. Had Sandy hit a month or so ago, way different story!
0 likes   
Just a small town southern boy helping other humans.

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#3746 Postby Portastorm » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:16 am

Another amazing thing in Sandy's ever-growing amazing litany:

Last night when the superstorm was making landfall in southern New Jersey, some 400 miles to its northwest in northeastern Ohio, they were experiencing torrential rain, wind gusts up to 70 mph, and waves on Lake Erie close to 20 feet! Power is out in a lot of the Cleveland area and portions of northeastern Ohio today along with schools and businesses closed.
0 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

brunota2003
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3747 Postby brunota2003 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:20 am

By the way, after getting wind gusts in the low 50s last night, all has pretty much calmed here and we never lost power. Sun was out earlier, cloudy now, with gusts still to 30 mph, but the high wind warning was dropped.
0 likes   
Just a small town southern boy helping other humans.

Terry
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3748 Postby Terry » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:38 am

Has anyone heard from Ozonepete this morning? I believe he lives in Brooklyn. Maybe he lost power late last night.
0 likes   

artist
Category 5
Category 5

#3749 Postby artist » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:48 am

Terry wrote:Has anyone heard from Ozonepete this morning? I believe he lives in Brooklyn. Maybe he lost power late last night.

Hopefully he is getting some sleep, he spent many, many hours on this. I hope he checks in soon.
0 likes   

fogbreath
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#3750 Postby fogbreath » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:15 am

I actually had been in that area for work just a few days ago. Being a relative newcomer to the Buckeye State, I didn't have any real perspective on how big those waves really were, but my spouse and her family members (all from this area) told me that these were about as huge as the waves ever get on the lake.

This is a picture that was posted on one of WEWS Channel 5 in Cleveland on their website newsnet5.com

Portastorm wrote:Another amazing thing in Sandy's ever-growing amazing litany:

Last night when the superstorm was making landfall in southern New Jersey, some 400 miles to its northwest in northeastern Ohio, they were experiencing torrential rain, wind gusts up to 70 mph, and waves on Lake Erie close to 20 feet! Power is out in a lot of the Cleveland area and portions of northeastern Ohio today along with schools and businesses closed.
0 likes   

WeatherGuesser
Category 5
Category 5

#3751 Postby WeatherGuesser » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:19 am

Another thing that gets me about this board .......

People generally flock here during the run-up to the event, start to dwindle off as it's happening, then disappear afterwards during the condition reports and clean-up.

Kind of like company coming to your house for something, then leaving you with the mess.
0 likes   

Terry
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3752 Postby Terry » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:25 am

That photo from Cleveland was unreal. I've seen Lake Erie when it as rough, but nothing like that.

There is evidently looting going on in NYC. Jerks.
source is the Amateur Radio Emergency Communications Service: https://twitter.com/nycarecs
0 likes   

HurrMark
Category 2
Category 2

#3753 Postby HurrMark » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:47 am

Where is the looting? I can't get Twitter at work... That is a shock (although if this was 1977, it would not be a surprise)...
0 likes   

ConvergenceZone
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#3754 Postby ConvergenceZone » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:49 am

WeatherGuesser wrote:Another thing that gets me about this board .......

People generally flock here during the run-up to the event, start to dwindle off as it's happening, then disappear afterwards during the condition reports and clean-up.

Kind of like company coming to your house for something, then leaving you with the mess.

hehe, that's very true. lots of build of posts prior to the storm hitting, then after the storm hits, the posts on the board are almost all gone, even though hearing the reports of the storm is what people want to hear most. I never quite understood the logic in that....
0 likes   

Frank2
Category 5
Category 5

#3755 Postby Frank2 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:04 pm

Interesting that up to Sandy the 2012 season was busy but uneventful (unless I'm forgetting something), and now the season will be remembered for one particular hurricane, similar to 1969 for Camille, 1972 for Agnes, 1992 for Andrew and 2005 for Katrina, so again as they say it only takes one...

P.S. As far as lower Manhattan goes, at least this morning any additional storm surge flooding wasn't evident, but during the lunch hour I did read that 10 subway tunnels are flooded - from my memory that's most of the system into and out of Manhattan...

P.P.S. Yes, I'm sure Ozonepete is asleep or his Internet connection is down - his professional forecast about the effects of Sandy's landfall were correct, unfortunately...

Frank
0 likes   

Mello1
Category 1
Category 1

#3756 Postby Mello1 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:09 pm

HurrMark wrote:Where is the looting? I can't get Twitter at work... That is a shock (although if this was 1977, it would not be a surprise)...

ABC 7 just said that it was damage from the storm, not looting, per the NYPD. Just watched the feed online.
Water got up to about 6-7 ft.

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/livenow?id=8857235
0 likes   

WeatherGuesser
Category 5
Category 5

#3757 Postby WeatherGuesser » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:13 pm

The storm surge destroyed a number of houses on Fire Island, N.Y., where some people had decided to sit out Sandy.

Rescuers headed to Fire Island, N.Y., where Joe Williams, the commissioner of Suffolk County, told NBC News that "we definitely lost some homes into the ocean."

"One community ... the count right now is about seven. We have numerous homes reported that have collapsed during the storm on Fire Island," he said.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/49605748/ns/weather/

Pictures anybody?
0 likes   

HurrMark
Category 2
Category 2

#3758 Postby HurrMark » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:16 pm

Frank2 wrote:Interesting that up to Sandy the 2012 season was busy but uneventful (unless I'm forgetting something), and now the season will be remembered for one particular hurricane, similar to 1969 for Camille, 1972 for Agnes, 1992 for Andrew and 2005 for Katrina, so again as they say it only takes one...

Well...2005 was a few more than 'Katrina'.

It is amazing to think though, that in a season where only one category One hurricane officially made landfall in the U. S. (since 'Sandy' was not a tropical landfall, it will not go down in the records as being a landfall), this season will likely rank among the top years in terms of devastation. It clearly shows that the category doesn't matter in many cases...this will almost certainly be year seven without a major landfall...the longest stretch since the Civil War, but depending on what the storm does, it really may not mean much. I do think it's time to dump the Saffir-Simpson scale and use a better measure to determine possible destructive...something along the lines of IKE. It can be extremely misleading.
0 likes   

Terry
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3759 Postby Terry » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:19 pm

HurrMark wrote:Where is the looting? I can't get Twitter at work... That is a shock (although if this was 1977, it would not be a surprise)...

There was one other mention earlier, but here was the one I was posting about:
#NYPD calling for more cops, people "breaking into all stores" around Mermaid Ave. #crime #nyc #sandy

Just checked and there was a newer one posted about looting at Coney Island.
0 likes   

Terry
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3760 Postby Terry » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:21 pm

Terry wrote:

There was one other mentioned earlier, but here was the one I was posting about:
#NYPD calling for more cops, people "breaking into all stores" around Mermaid Ave. #crime #nyc #sandy

Just checked and there was a newer one posted about looting at Coney Island.

And now this one:
#NYPD escalating mass looter situation to a 'Level One' asking for the Boro Task Force for manpower to come assemble at location #sandy #nyc
Last edited by Terry on Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

Return to “2012”