ATL: LEE - Remnants - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

Re: ATL: LEE - Tropical Storm - Discussion

#2861 Postby vbhoutex » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:53 pm

Kennethb wrote:
chrisnnavarre wrote:Is everyone looking at a radar presentation or something concerning NE movement, because I don't see it. I see presently NNW movement and if you turn on the NHC tropical points on the current floater you'll see that Lee is NW of the NHC track and possibly heading NW, (looping around again?), and yes he does look better over land now than he did over water. I'm confused here, were is everyone getting NNE from?

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/flt/t1/flash-vis.html

:double:

You noticed that too. I would not be surprised to see a small loop, similiar to last night. We still have SSE - S winds here in South Baton Rouge.

I think the loop is deceiving because it appears to me that the convection(without looking at radar)is ramping up around the center. Overall the motion appears to me to be a ragged N or NNE. Definitely the center is W of the forecast points. With the front in N LA now that probably won't last for long.
edit- Just looked at radar. We may have a tilted center as where I thought the center was is not where it is on radar. I think the actual llc is just W or NW of Lafayette but the circulating cdo appears to be further East or NE to me. IMO, Lee is going to have to make sharp right turn to get back to the forecast points.
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

Turtle
Category 1
Category 1

#2862 Postby Turtle » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:58 pm

I live along I-20 in East Texas and just got a 43 MPH gust. Some of my potted plants have been knocked over! :double:
0 likes   

crimi481
Category 2
Category 2

#2863 Postby crimi481 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:59 pm

I agree - it appears to want to loop around to west side - and right side of storm ( with other "low") -may splkit soon and go N.E.
Just looks that way I guess?
http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/data/geo/index ... thod=flash
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#2864 Postby vbhoutex » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:03 pm

Turtle wrote:I live along I-20 in East Texas and just got a 43 MPH gust. Some of my potted plants have been knocked over! :double:

It has been quite windy here in Houston but I haven't seen any rain, at least on the West side. Gusts have been to 37 mph which I find strange considering how far W of the center we are.
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

Raininfyr
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#2865 Postby Raininfyr » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:04 pm

I agree with VB, this looks to be moving more NNW right now. Lord, I am ready for Lee to take a hike, a quick hike.
0 likes   

bobbisboy
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

Lee's track

#2866 Postby bobbisboy » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:16 pm

Anyone notice that Lee isn't following the NCH forecast track by a WIDE bit? comments?
0 likes   

unconquered
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

#2867 Postby unconquered » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:24 pm

The winds here are 14 mph, gusting to 23 mph, from NNW. We've had 1.09 inches of rain in the last 24 hours. I think it has been more than that in my area, though.
0 likes   

rainstorm

#2868 Postby rainstorm » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:26 pm

i notice the nhc did shift lees remnants further west of the mountains.
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#2869 Postby wxman57 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:27 pm

chrisnnavarre wrote:Is everyone looking at a radar presentation or something concerning NE movement, because I don't see it. I see presently NNW movement and if you turn on the NHC tropical points on the current floater you'll see that Lee is NW of the NHC track and possibly heading NW, (looping around again?), and yes he does look better over land now than he did over water. I'm confused here, were is everyone getting NNE from?

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/flt/t1/flash-vis.html

:double:

The center isn't that visible on satellite imagery now, it's best to use radar. I'm measuring a 2-hr movement to 358 degrees (due north) at 11 kts. It's not making a loop, it may well be getting picked up by the approaching cold front. May not be much left of it by morning.

Haven't been able to find any TS wind offshore since early this morning. Looks like a weakening TD now.
0 likes   

jabman98
Category 1
Category 1

#2870 Postby jabman98 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:28 pm

I'm a close to downtown Houston and it's been raining here off and on for an hour. Well, "rain" is a bit generous. It's hardly more than a mist. But it's enough to get the sidewalks a little damp. Is this part of Lee or is the front here already?
0 likes   

Sanibel
Category 5
Category 5

#2871 Postby Sanibel » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:28 pm

Another one that would have gone to hurricane had it stayed over the Gulf in my opinion.
0 likes   

southerngale
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#2872 Postby southerngale » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:30 pm

I ended up with a couple of inches of rain from Lee yesterday. While more would have been nice, I was very grateful for what I got! It's been raining off and on today, but nothing like yesterday.
0 likes   
Please support Storm2k by making a donation today. It is greatly appreciated! Click here: Image

Image my Cowboys Image my RocketsImage my Astros

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#2873 Postby wxman57 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:34 pm

jabman98 wrote:I'm a close to downtown Houston and it's been raining here off and on for an hour. Well, "rain" is a bit generous. It's hardly more than a mist. But it's enough to get the sidewalks a little damp. Is this part of Lee or is the front here already?

That's the "cold" air coming on down. Strong northerly wind all through Texas with a LOT drier air flowing southward. Some cool nights and mild days ahead.
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

Re:

#2874 Postby wxman57 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:39 pm

southerngale wrote:I ended up with a couple of inches of rain from Lee yesterday. While more would have been nice, I was very grateful for what I got! It's been raining off and on today, but nothing like yesterday.

Had a good 4 inches at my house in southwest Houston. That's 4 inches between raindrops.
0 likes   

rainstorm

#2875 Postby rainstorm » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:42 pm

Sanibel wrote:Another one that would have gone to hurricane had it stayed over the Gulf in my opinion.

not necessarliy. the gom hasnt produced a major hurricane for the US in some time. even ike in 2008 had a hard time trying to get past cat2.
0 likes   

jabman98
Category 1
Category 1

#2876 Postby jabman98 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:42 pm

wxman57 wrote:
jabman98 wrote:I'm a close to downtown Houston and it's been raining here off and on for an hour. Well, "rain" is a bit generous. It's hardly more than a mist. But it's enough to get the sidewalks a little damp. Is this part of Lee or is the front here already?

That's the "cold" air coming on down. Strong northerly wind all through Texas with a LOT drier air flowing southward. Some cool nights and mild days ahead.

Thanks. I can't believe we're getting a front this early. Crazy. The wind is strong with some very strong gusts where I am . Knocking over potted plants and taking off limbs from trees, especially ones that are struggling due to the drought.
0 likes   

CYCLONE MIKE
Category 5
Category 5

#2877 Postby CYCLONE MIKE » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:43 pm

wxman,
in regards to the cold front coming through. You have any thoughts of what some models are showing pertaining to another storm in the gulf on the 10th or 11th. Looks to originate from deep in the BOC. Possibly tailend of this front coming through?
0 likes   

southerngale
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Re: Re:

#2878 Postby southerngale » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:47 pm

wxman57 wrote:
southerngale wrote:I ended up with a couple of inches of rain from Lee yesterday. While more would have been nice, I was very grateful for what I got! It's been raining off and on today, but nothing like yesterday.

Had a good 4 inches at my house in southwest Houston. That's 4 inches between raindrops.

LOL! Sorry.... I tried to blow it in your direction, but I guess it didn't make it that far.
0 likes   
Please support Storm2k by making a donation today. It is greatly appreciated! Click here: Image

Image my Cowboys Image my RocketsImage my Astros

cheezyWXguy
Category 5
Category 5

#2879 Postby cheezyWXguy » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:52 pm

rainstorm wrote:
Sanibel wrote:Another one that would have gone to hurricane had it stayed over the Gulf in my opinion.

not necessarliy. the gom hasnt produced a major hurricane for the US in some time. even ike in 2008 had a hard time trying to get past cat2.

Thats because Ike was massive and suffered some serious structural problems in its path across cuba.
0 likes   

rainstorm

#2880 Postby rainstorm » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:58 pm

PERHAPS, but the pattern has clearly changed since 04/05. the gom just isnt producing due to shear and dry air and that persistent high over texas.
0 likes   

Return to “2011”