ATL: Ex INVEST 92L - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Gustywind
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: INVEST 92L - Discussion

#121 Postby Gustywind » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:34 am

cycloneye wrote:
What are the latest estimations Cycloneye, the best track?

Gusty, no best track updates have been released this morning.

Ok thanks but that's a bit surprising, no?
0 likes   

Macrocane
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: INVEST 92L - Models

#122 Postby Macrocane » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:35 am

I don't think the MJO will have much influence in the activity this year, as its signal has been pretty weak most of the time anyway it could help a little but not as much as we saw in 2008. A weak MJO doesn't mean an inactive or active Atlantic season, look at las year MJO was pretty much the same as this year and it was a very active season.
0 likes   

Kory
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#123 Postby Kory » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:37 am

Gustywind wrote:
cycloneye wrote:
What are the latest estimations Cycloneye, the best track?

Gusty, no best track updates have been released this morning.

Ok thanks but that's a bit surprising, no?

Hmm not really...there is very little in the way of convection with this system.
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#124 Postby cycloneye » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:46 am

The predict team is talking today of a possible merger between this wave and wave that is close behind.

http://www.met.nps.edu/~mtmontgo/P14L.html

P14L
12N, 21W
700 hPa

The story of a single, easily-tracked pouch is gone!

ECMWF: P14L is stationary just off the coast of Africa as another weak wave approaches from the east. P14L and the other wave/pouch (I have never tracked this eastern wave/pouch) merge during Day 2. Then this merged pouch, which I continue to call P14L, initially moves northwestward, but then it moves southwestward and dissipates after 96 hours. Meanwhile, two other pouches are depicted later in the forecast period. (1) An area of elevated and OW values to the southeast of P14L, and (2) A small 700-hPa pouch moves from the subtropics toward the southwest ahead of/west of P14L. This pouch develops and then moves westward toward the Caribbean. (I have always thought that 2010's Matthew had similar origins, so this potential pouch needs monitoring.)

GFS: Similar to ECMWF, except that after the merger, P14L moves northwestward into the subtropical ridge and dissipates. GFS also depicts the eventual tropical pouch to the southeast as well as the subtropical pouch that moves into the Caribbean.

UKMET: Similar to GFS, with an early merger, motion into and dissipation in the subtropical ridge, and even the development of another 700-hPa subtropical development to the west.

NOGAPS: Outlier!! Like other models, NOGAPS hints at an early merger, although the presence of the other wave/pouch is not so obvious in the fields. However, NOGAPS does not move P14L northwestward, but rather, moves westward, but with a somewhat erratic track. P14L is elongated zonally, so it appears to be just part of the ITCZ.

HWRF-GEN: (No data)

ECMWF -5.0 v700 & RH 96h
GFS -5.8 v700 84h
UKMET -5.8 v700 & RH 96h
NOGAPS -4.3 v700 120h
HWGEN ---- v700 ---h
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Jevo
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#125 Postby Jevo » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:55 am

cycloneye wrote:The predict team is talking today of a possible merger between this wave and wave that is close behind.

Nothing like a good merger to keep the tropical Atlantic in line.. We can't have all these rogue tropical waves out there being all sneaky like.. coming into you house when you're not there and stealing your shoes and eating your snacks.. No! we just can't have that!

Wait.. what was I talkign about...

oh

0 likes   
Disclaimer: 50% of the time I have no clue of what I am talking about. Chances are I am taking a less than educated guess that sounds good because 10 years ago I stole Mike Watkins book 'The Hurricane and its Impact'. For official information please direct yourself to the NHC and their cadre of weather geniuses.

SETXPTNeches
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#126 Postby SETXPTNeches » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:02 am

mutley wrote:
NDG wrote:
wxman57 wrote:I think that the pattern will change - the ridge will move out - but it may take the transition toward fall in the first few weeks of September to open up the NW Gulf.

I sure hope for all of you in TX that it changes eventually, you may not need a hurricane but you desperate need the rains from a tropical system.

Ditto. Hopefully, Texas will get a reprieve soon. They are in a desperate drought situation. :(

This has sparked another question...if 92L or any other storm that develops after this one, if it is a strong or powerful storm, is the ridge strong enough to still protect us? I just want to make sure I am paying attention when I am supposed to. :)
0 likes   
PN-G Indians #1
Rita & Ike

The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

x-y-no
Category 5
Category 5

#127 Postby x-y-no » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:47 am

12Z GFS keeps it very weak across the Atlantic, begins developing near windward islands, take strengthening system across Caribbean to Yucatan, then across BOC to Mexico.
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re:

#128 Postby cycloneye » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:53 am

x-y-no wrote:12Z GFS keeps it very weak across the Atlantic, begins developing near windward islands, take strengthening system across Caribbean to Yucatan, then across BOC to Mexico.

12z GFS Loop
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars

ROCK
Category 5
Category 5

#129 Postby ROCK » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:34 pm

oh I agree that the weakness it there in the NE GOM currently and even seen in the not to la la land GFS runs. However to predict that the ridge will remain in place 2 weeks from now is a bit of a stretch. The ridge did break a few weeks ago and allowed some much needed rain prior to Don via some nice sea breeze storms. So it does happen....odds are it wont but never say never. It wouldnt take much to open the door to the NGOM, IMO..

I guess no one saw the 06z GFS... :wink:
Last edited by ROCK on Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

SoupBone
Category 5
Category 5

#130 Postby SoupBone » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:37 pm

NDG wrote:
wxman57 wrote:I think that the pattern will change - the ridge will move out - but it may take the transition toward fall in the first few weeks of September to open up the NW Gulf.

I sure hope for all of you in TX that it changes eventually, you may not need a hurricane but you desperate need the rains from a tropical system.

How's Orlando doing right now in terms of drought conditions?
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#131 Postby cycloneye » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:40 pm

Rip for now 92L!

BEGIN
NHC_ATCF
invest_DEACTIVATE_al922011.ren
FSTDA
R
U
NONE
NOTIFY=ATRP
0 likes   

ROCK
Category 5
Category 5

#132 Postby ROCK » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:56 pm

oh no....now what do we watch? game over... :lol:
0 likes   

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#133 Postby northjaxpro » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:01 pm

SFLcane earlier on the thread posted the image of the high amount of SAL across the Atlantic Basin right now.

I have to say that I am not surprised to see 92L get deactivated right now. Anything out there trying to develop is either ingesting too much dry air or getting sheared apart right now. We may not have anything organized to track for at least a week or so.
0 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#134 Postby wxman57 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:23 pm

12Z GFS is back to developing it. Reaches the eastern Caribbean late on the 15th, becomes a hurricane in the Caribbean, clips the northern Yucatan, ridge over TX/LA shoves it west to near Tampico with landfall on the 22nd.
0 likes   

Nikki
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Location: Santa Fe, TX (yes I typed that right TEXAS not New Mexico, I am about 20 miles from Galveston, TX)

#135 Postby Nikki » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:35 pm

wxman57 wrote:12Z GFS is back to developing it. Reaches the eastern Caribbean late on the 15th, becomes a hurricane in the Caribbean, clips the northern Yucatan, ridge over TX/LA shoves it west to near Tampico with landfall on the 22nd.

Thank you wxman57, as always informative and on time! I guess those in South East Texas will have to do rain dances for some rain! :lol:
0 likes   
My name is Nicole and this is what I go by in Storm2k chat! Come chat with us! We have fun in there too!!

A teacher's purpose is not to create students in her own image, but to develop students who can create their own image. ~Author Unknown

Alicia, Allison, Rita, Ike

Kory
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#136 Postby Kory » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:41 pm

wxman57 wrote:12Z GFS is back to developing it. Reaches the eastern Caribbean late on the 15th, becomes a hurricane in the Caribbean, clips the northern Yucatan, ridge over TX/LA shoves it west to near Tampico with landfall on the 22nd.

It looks like the ridge starts shifting to the east and positions itself more over the SE US instead of Texas. As the system comes around the western edge of the high pressure, it may erode the ridge a bit more and try to come northward a bit faster.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.
0 likes   

CronkPSU
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#137 Postby CronkPSU » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:42 pm

SoupBone wrote:
NDG wrote:

How's Orlando doing right now in terms of drought conditions?

not too bad, much better than south Florida and light years better than Texas
0 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#138 Postby Aric Dunn » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:59 pm

Slowly getting better organized... about another 24hours we should start to see decent convection building and things slowly starting to come together.

http://rammb.cira.colostate.edu/ramsdis ... r2_floater
0 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.
If there is nothing before... then just ask :)

Space & Atmospheric Physicist, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University,
I believe the sky is falling...

underthwx
Category 5
Category 5

#139 Postby underthwx » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:36 pm

tried the sfwmd models page....not showing 92L..do they not have it posted yet? :?:
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#140 Postby cycloneye » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:53 pm

underthwx wrote:tried the sfwmd models page....not showing 92L..do they not have it posted yet? :?:

The invest was deactivated earlier this afternoon and that is why you dont see 92L there.
0 likes   

Return to “2011”