ATL: OPHELIA - Remnants - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#101 Postby gatorcane » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:59 pm

Yeah looks like the models are showing a big trough in the long-range along the eastern seaboard of the United States...nothing new. This has been the pattern for months now and for the last 4 Cape Verde systems that try to head west.
0 likes   

SoupBone
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: INVEST 98L - Discussion

#102 Postby SoupBone » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:04 pm

Tolak, quick question since there's a current lull with everything going on. Why doesn't S2K add the disclaimer to everyone profile as an automatically generated sig? Seems a lot easier than reminding people. I very rarely throw out any info that would be considered a forecast, but when I do I don't ever remember to add it. :)

And Wxman, how far south is that front supposed to dip down?
0 likes   

tobol.7uno
Category 1
Category 1

Re: ATL: INVEST 98L - Models

#103 Postby tobol.7uno » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:08 pm

Looks like it could move all of the way through the Caribbean into the GOM.
0 likes   
My Tropical Weather Website: http://tropwx.com/
I do link exchange, so if you have a website we can share each others links.

tobol.7uno
Category 1
Category 1

Re: Re:

#104 Postby tobol.7uno » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:14 pm

wxman57 wrote:
Hylian Auree wrote:I'm sort of curious as to what track this will take. I see no reason for significant gain of latitude... maybe a smoothed slightly north of west motion till the Caribbean?

I don't see too much mystery as to its most likely track. Models are in very good agreement in taking it to the NE Caribbean late Friday or on Saturday morning then slowly northwestward toward PR/DR. Very deep trof developing along the East U.S. Coast this weekend and early next week should allow for recurvature well east of the U.S. next week. This is probably true whether or not it develops. That's a fairly strong cold front projected to be across the southern and eastern Gulf early next week. Should prevent any movement in that direction.

Conditions in its path don't look too favorable for development, and it doesn't look very impressive on satellite. Might have a shot at developing by Wednesday afternoon, but it may be another struggling TS as it nears the eastern Caribbean.

Good agreement??? Have you even seen the models? The consensus model does bring it into the Caribbean, but they are all over the place. I think the NE Carribean is the best solution, but it to early to set that in stone. http://moe.met.fsu.edu/~acevans/models/al982011.png?0.6780400197721597
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#105 Postby wxman57 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:18 pm

SoupBone wrote:And Wxman, how far south is that front supposed to dip down?

Southern Gulf / Yucatan / Western Cuba / South Florida. Of course, it won't have much of a temperature gradient that far south. You'll see some cooler air there in south Louisiana, though.
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#106 Postby wxman57 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:23 pm

tobol.7uno wrote:Looks like it could move all of the way through the Caribbean into the GOM.

I wouldn't make that assumption. Should be a fairly strong cold front across the southern Gulf by this weekend and early next week.
0 likes   

tobol.7uno
Category 1
Category 1

#107 Postby tobol.7uno » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:12 pm

NHC has bumped it up to 60% models still lost...
0 likes   

tobol.7uno
Category 1
Category 1

#108 Postby tobol.7uno » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:14 pm

GFS guidance wants to go west...
0 likes   

Hylian Auree
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#109 Postby Hylian Auree » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:20 pm

tolakram wrote:What's your reasoning, the current model plots??

Hey tolakram. I apologize for not being more specific.
My reasoning is in part the fact that this is a broad system and likely a slow developer as well. Without significant development, I think it'll follow the generally westward steering currents to near the Caribbean along the very strong deep ridge to its north. Some models even show the ridge strengthening and building slightly southward near the northern Caribbean, so that further leads me to believe it'll be a low tracker. What happens beyond the Caribbean is harder to say, partially due to the effects of the trough wxman mentioned, precisely when they will occur and how large the weakness will be, making long range forecasts a bit more difficult (obviously).

Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.
0 likes   

Hylian Auree
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#110 Postby Hylian Auree » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:26 pm

The GFS has consistently made this a very low tracker till it enters the Caribbean, and with the ridge building north of the Carib and the system likely remaining broad and weak I kind of think it's a very logical solution. Personally I'm putting my trust in the GFS for this one.

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/NCOMAGWEB/appc ... mageSize=M
0 likes   

Nimbus
Category 5
Category 5

#111 Postby Nimbus » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:48 pm

Well 97L and 99L poofed but it looks like 98L will make it to the Hebert box in some form. Still some shear and relatively dry air to traverse though. The front that took Maria out dug all the way to Jamaica so I'm not real worried about the gulf yet.
0 likes   

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#112 Postby gatorcane » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:05 pm

Nimbus wrote:Well 97L and 99L poofed but it looks like 98L will make it to the Hebert box in some form. Still some shear and relatively dry air to traverse though. The front that took Maria out dug all the way to Jamaica so I'm not real worried about the gulf yet.

Yeah, maybe to the Hebert box, but several CV systems this year have and they have recurved well east of the U.S. as they start a recurve path somewhere in the Eastern or Central Caribbean

This one looks like it is headed down a similar path as Wxman suggests as models prog a huge trough to dig way down into the SE CONUS, through South Florida by early to mid next week.

Word of the 2011 season: TROUGH
0 likes   

Blown Away
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#113 Postby Blown Away » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:14 pm

gatorcane wrote:
Nimbus wrote:Well 97L and 99L poofed but it looks like 98L will make it to the Hebert box in some form. Still some shear and relatively dry air to traverse though. The front that took Maria out dug all the way to Jamaica so I'm not real worried about the gulf yet.

Yeah, maybe to the Hebert box, but several CV systems this year have and they have recurved well east of the U.S. as they start a recurve path somewhere in the Eastern or Central Caribbean

This one looks like it is headed down a similar path as Wxman suggests as models prog a huge trough to dig way down into the SE CONUS, through South Florida by early to mid next week.

No doubt, but this one could sneak far enough W and get pulled N close to SFL. Looks like some of the models still heading W under Hispaniola.
0 likes   
Hurricane Eye Experience: David 79, Irene 99, Frances 04, Jeanne 04, Wilma 05... EYE COMING MY WAY IN 2024…
Hurricane Brush Experience: Andrew 92, Erin 95, Floyd 99, Matthew 16, Irma 17, Ian 22, Nicole 22…

tobol.7uno
Category 1
Category 1

Re:

#114 Postby tobol.7uno » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:34 pm

Hylian Auree wrote:The GFS has consistently made this a very low tracker till it enters the Caribbean, and with the ridge building north of the Carib and the system likely remaining broad and weak I kind of think it's a very logical solution. Personally I'm putting my trust in the GFS for this one.

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/NCOMAGWEB/appc ... mageSize=M

I have not seen enough to make an assumption yet.
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#115 Postby wxman57 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:13 pm

tobol.7uno wrote:Good agreement??? Have you even seen the models? The consensus model does bring it into the Caribbean, but they are all over the place. I think the NE Carribean is the best solution, but it to early to set that in stone. http://moe.met.fsu.edu/~acevans/models/al982011.png?0.6780400197721597

Yes, I'm quite familiar with the models, and they are in quite good agreement in taking the system into the NE Caribbean late Friday or on Saturday morning. You have to ignore that Clipper model and LBAR and the various non-dynamic BAM models. Canadian is the only model that skirts it north of the NE Caribbean, but it develops it much more quickly and stronger than the other models, which is most likely wrong.
0 likes   

Hylian Auree
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#116 Postby Hylian Auree » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:20 pm

wxman - which of the BAM models are non dynamic? Unless it's all of them.
0 likes   

ConvergenceZone
Category 5
Category 5

#117 Postby ConvergenceZone » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:21 pm

We should feel lucky that this is turning out to be an incredibly slow September...Wow, I think we all expected a bunch of
activity....Just not happening this year.
0 likes   

dwsqos2

#118 Postby dwsqos2 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:31 pm

How unfortunate; another dud; the EPAC will probably produce a major hurricane within a week as well. This season has been dreadfully forecast.

Hahahahahaha!!!

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.
0 likes   

ConvergenceZone
Category 5
Category 5

#119 Postby ConvergenceZone » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:38 pm

dwsqos2 wrote:How unfortunate; another dud; the EPAC will probably produce a major hurricane within a week as well. This season has been dreadfully forecast.

Hahahahahaha!!!

It is kinda funny how everything just completely died off in September. .... A bunch of wimpy invests don't make for an active September. Not complaining, just observing... I'm skeptical that it will get going again I could be wrong, but I could also be right.. :wink:
0 likes   

fci
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#120 Postby fci » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:44 pm

Blown Away wrote:
gatorcane wrote:

No doubt, but this one could sneak far enough W and get pulled N close to SFL. Looks like some of the models still heading W under Hispaniola.

I have to concur with wxman and the way almost all CV storms have headed this season and the climatological pattern of late September that this one won't get close to SFL unless it is as an open wave which is a non-issue anyway.
IMO, our sights (those of us in South Florida) need to refocus to the NW Carib as fronts start getting down here and the ends of them are left in the bath waters of the NW Carib and troughs drag whatever develops NE towards SFL.

Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
0 likes   

Return to “2011”