#101 Postby ROCK » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:43 pm

0 likes   

maxintensity
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Re: Re:

#102 Postby maxintensity » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:28 am

wxman57 wrote:
LaBreeze wrote:I just don't see a Katrina or Rita type of track with this hold that the High pressure has on us. It will be our saving grace from hurricanes and storms, but certainly not from the drought and heat!

Yep, I agree. If it reaches the NW Caribbean then a west track toward Mexico or perhaps the lower TX coast would be possible, but that ridge should hold firm over SE TX/LA/MS.
Unfortunately it is not that clear cut. According to NOAA, "Predicting where and when hurricanes will strike is related to daily weather patterns, which are not reliably predictable weeks or months in advance." It's impossible to say where 92L or any system after that will make final landfall. I'm hopeful the science will be there in the future, but until then, we can only speculate. I remember 5 days prior to landfall katrina was supposed to smash into florida and LA was not even in the cone of uncertainty. It was never supposed to cross 85W. 5 days later it killed over 1,000 people in LA with a direct strike. Needless to say, it's way too soon to know where 92L will go.
0 likes   

SoupBone
Category 5
Category 5

#103 Postby SoupBone » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:07 am

maxintensity wrote:
wxman57 wrote:
LaBreeze wrote:I just don't see a Katrina or Rita type of track with this hold that the High pressure has on us. It will be our saving grace from hurricanes and storms, but certainly not from the drought and heat!

Yep, I agree. If it reaches the NW Caribbean then a west track toward Mexico or perhaps the lower TX coast would be possible, but that ridge should hold firm over SE TX/LA/MS.
Unfortunately it is not that clear cut. According to NOAA, "Predicting where and when hurricanes will strike is related to daily weather patterns, which are not reliably predictable weeks or months in advance." It's impossible to say where 92L or any system after that will make final landfall. I'm hopeful the science will be there in the future, but until then, we can only speculate. I remember 5 days prior to landfall katrina was supposed to smash into florida and LA was not even in the cone of uncertainty. It was never supposed to cross 85W. 5 days later it killed over 1,000 people in LA with a direct strike. Needless to say, it's way too soon to know where 92L will go.

You do realize you're telling this to a well respected professional meteorologist correct? I believe that I can safely say that there is no one that knows where this thing will go, but this is what the board is all about. Discussing potential storms....
0 likes   

Kory
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#104 Postby Kory » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:26 am

ROCK wrote:
wxman57 wrote:

for 2 weeks this ridge is going to hold firm? we shall see....I have doubts...

If you haven't noticed that ridge has been there for at least a month or two. What do you think has kept Texas so dry and hot? Also there has been a persistent East Coast trough which would turn anything out to sea before it hits the United States. I see no signs of it moving, but remember if a strong storm finds even the smallest weakness in the ridge it will go northward.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: ATL: INVEST 92L - Discussion

#105 Postby cycloneye » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:05 am

8 AM TWD:

TROPICAL WAVE IS ANALYZED FROM 09N24W TO 18N22W MOVING W AT
10-15 KT. SHORTWAVE INFRARED METEOSAT-9 SATELLITE IMAGERY
REVEALS A BROAD LOW TO MID-LEVEL CYCLONIC CIRCULATION IN THE
VICINITY OF 11N23W...WHICH IS PRIMARILY A MONSOON TROUGH GYRE
ENCOMPASSING MOST OF THE EASTERN TROPICAL ATLC. THE WAVE IS
EMBEDDED IN AN AREA OF ENHANCED DEEP-LAYERED TOTAL PRECIPITABLE
WATER VALUES LOCATED SE OF THE CAPE VERDE ISLANDS WITH NO
SIGNIFICANT DEEP CONVECTION ASSOCIATED WITH THE WAVE...HOWEVER
SCATTERED MODERATE CONVECTION IS WITHIN 180 NM S OF THE MONSOON
TROUGH BETWEEN 20W-31W.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

SETXPTNeches
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#106 Postby SETXPTNeches » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:12 am

That was going to be my question...how much longer is this High pressure ridge expected to stay in place and where do you find that info (in a graph)? I usually don't get too worried about TX until the end of August, middle of September...that seems to be the time that we really need to pay attention. This heat is brutal, though, need some relief, I am just afraid it will come in the form of something similar to Rita or Ike..
0 likes   
PN-G Indians #1
Rita & Ike

The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

mutley
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: ATL: INVEST 92L - Models

#107 Postby mutley » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:20 am

ROCK wrote:MJO forecast from 8-13th

http://www.icess.ucsb.edu/asr/MJO_current_run.htm

If you don't mind. What does the MJO stand for?
0 likes   
The preceding comments are never to be used as information to establish circumstances, plans or procedures for any weather related events. Only use official National Hurricane Center or National Weather Service information issued for your area.

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#108 Postby wxman57 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:25 am

Yes, the ridge has been sitting over the Southern Plains for 3 or more months, so there's no reason to think it will pack up and move out in the next 2 weeks. In fact, the GFS indicates the ridge will strengthen the 3rd week of August. The ridge should prevent movement of storms toward the upper TX coast eastward through Louisiana as long as it's in place. NE Gulf coast, FL, and the Carolinas are not protected, though.
0 likes   

x-y-no
Category 5
Category 5

#109 Postby x-y-no » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:26 am

mutley wrote:

MJO is the Madden–Julian oscillation. It's a phenomenon which propagates west to east around the tropics and manifests as suppressed/enhanced tendency for convection and rainfall.
0 likes   

mutley
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#110 Postby mutley » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:29 am

x-y-no wrote:
mutley wrote:

MJO is the Madden–Julian oscillation. It's a phenomenon which propagates west to east around the tropics and manifests as suppressed/enhanced tendency for convection and rainfall.

Thanks a lot. Learning so much here.
0 likes   
The preceding comments are never to be used as information to establish circumstances, plans or procedures for any weather related events. Only use official National Hurricane Center or National Weather Service information issued for your area.

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#111 Postby NDG » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:51 am

wxman57 wrote:Yes, the ridge has been sitting over the Southern Plains for 3 or more months, so there's no reason to think it will pack up and move out in the next 2 weeks. In fact, the GFS indicates the ridge will strengthen the 3rd week of August. The ridge should prevent movement of storms toward the upper TX coast eastward through Louisiana as long as it's in place. NE Gulf coast, FL, and the Carolinas are not protected, though.

Yeah I agree wxman57, I have been saying for the last couple of weeks that FL to the Carolinas is where the weakness has been for tropical systems coming in from the eastern Caribbean would track close to this general area. No signs of the pattern changing.
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#112 Postby wxman57 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:59 am

I think that the pattern will change - the ridge will move out - but it may take the transition toward fall in the first few weeks of September to open up the NW Gulf.
0 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#113 Postby NDG » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:00 am

92L still has broad cyclonic circulation but it lacks some more deep convection. It has been loosing some of the support for development little by little from the GFS in its last two runs.

0 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#114 Postby NDG » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:05 am

wxman57 wrote:I think that the pattern will change - the ridge will move out - but it may take the transition toward fall in the first few weeks of September to open up the NW Gulf.

I sure hope for all of you in TX that it changes eventually, you may not need a hurricane but you desperate need the rains from a tropical system.
0 likes   

mutley
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#115 Postby mutley » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:14 am

NDG wrote:
wxman57 wrote:I think that the pattern will change - the ridge will move out - but it may take the transition toward fall in the first few weeks of September to open up the NW Gulf.

I sure hope for all of you in TX that it changes eventually, you may not need a hurricane but you desperate need the rains from a tropical system.

Ditto. Hopefully, Texas will get a reprieve soon. They are in a desperate drought situation. :(
0 likes   

HurricaneFan
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#116 Postby HurricaneFan » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:28 am

So how long will this positive phase of the MJO last?
What about September and October?
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#117 Postby cycloneye » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:55 am

Rotation looks good but lacks convection.

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars

Gustywind
Category 5
Category 5

#118 Postby Gustywind » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:59 am

cycloneye wrote:Rotation looks good but lacks convection.
http://i.imgur.com/e6zSc.gif

Looks like. What are the latest estimations Cycloneye, the best track?
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#119 Postby cycloneye » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:06 am

What are the latest estimations Cycloneye, the best track?

Gusty, no best track updates have been released this morning.
0 likes   

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#120 Postby SFLcane » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:12 am

Eastern tropical atlantic is closed for business for the time being...

0 likes   

Return to “2011”