ATL: Ex-Tropical Storm FIONA - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

ILVrecurves

Re: ATL : INVEST 97L - Discussion

#21 Postby ILVrecurves » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:41 pm

I guess the forecasters were right when they said we would see 3-4 storms at once in the Atlantic. We could easily see Danielle, Earl, and Fiona at the same time.
0 likes   

Ivanhater
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re:

#22 Postby Ivanhater » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:44 pm

KWT wrote:Look how close it is though to Earl, I find it hard to believe this one won't get scooped up with Earl unless it doesn't develop barely if at all till the Caribbean and stays mainly a ITCZ feature...

The vorticity and wave axis is barely offshore. Plenty of distance between 97L and Earl..
0 likes   
Michael

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#23 Postby vbhoutex » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:45 pm

My initial thoughts on this one are that it is going to take a while to get going. It already has two systems out ahead of it that have churned up the waters and the atmosphere somewhat. It appears to be coming off Africa a little lower also. I haven't looked at everything, but I would guess that 97L will come a good deal further West than Danielle and Earl unless it ramps up quicker than I think it will. It looks like it has a good moisture envelope around it so I wouldn't expect a poof either.

Well, no one can say the tropics aren't active now. When someone lit the pilot light it did its' job very well!! the heat is on for sure.
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#24 Postby cycloneye » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:45 pm

Plenty of distance between 97L and Earl..

Around 1000 miles.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

KWT
Category 5
Category 5

#25 Postby KWT » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:48 pm

Remember though Ivanhater Earl will probably slow in 3-4 days time and thats when this system will catch up and draw in the distance....if you look at the GFS for example the system nearly gets absorbed by Earl it gets so close....it'll probably have to grow to more then a 1000 miles if this one isn't going to get drawn northwards with Earl when that eventually happens....and Danielle will still have some tug on this one as well from the looks of the GFS....

I personally think if this one does become even a half decent TS east of 50-55W it recurves given both Earl and the general troughing anyway down the W.Atlantic...now if it stays real weak then the best case is a Mariyln type system, the worst could be something heading deeper into the Caribbean and lifting out towards the E.coast/Florida through the islands IMO.

Too early to sure of anything though as per normal at this point.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products

fci
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#26 Postby fci » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:58 pm

Barely off the coast of Africa and the pundits are calling for a recurve already.

I guess I was napping when 7-14 day forecasts became automatic!
0 likes   

chrisjslucia
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: ATL: INVEST 97L - Discussion

#27 Postby chrisjslucia » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:00 pm

The currently available models are showing this curving WNW and then NW from 20N 47W. As always, I hope they and KWT are correct
0 likes   

ILVrecurves

#28 Postby ILVrecurves » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:04 pm

Well we are in a 1995 type recurve pattern so there is a great chance of every storm recurving around 60W or further east. The MJO maps indicate the entire Atlantic/Caribbean and Gulf in a favorable upward motion period by early September so maybe some home brew activity at that time, but hopefully not.

This is an amazing pattern for most people. There's nothing better than watching a fish storm become powerful and safely move out to sea, it's what tropical enthusiasts live for, a big storm with little or no threat.
0 likes   

perk
Category 3
Category 3

Re:

#29 Postby perk » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:04 pm

fci wrote:Barely off the coast of Africa and the pundits are calling for a recurve already.

I think we should take a vote on whether or not to ban the word recurve on this forum. :lol:
0 likes   

KWT
Category 5
Category 5

#30 Postby KWT » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:06 pm

I should add in this pattern usually the 3rd system in the train will get further west then the others but who knows whether that will play out this time round.

I expect only slow strengthening with this one but its going to have to barely develop to be a big threat IMO judging from the synoptic pattern...and I'd say I've been a pretty good judge given whats happening with the storms at the moment...
Last edited by KWT on Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products

cwachal

Re: Re:

#31 Postby cwachal » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:06 pm

perk wrote:
fci wrote:Barely off the coast of Africa and the pundits are calling for a recurve already.

I think we should take a vote on whether or not to ban the word recurve on this forum. :lol:

we could have it change the word recurve to "make landfall as a cat 5 in my backyard" that would get a lot of people to stop using it so early
0 likes   

TheBurn
Category 2
Category 2

#32 Postby TheBurn » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:10 pm

0 likes   

HURAKAN
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#33 Postby HURAKAN » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:13 pm

latest
0 likes   

SoupBone
Category 5
Category 5

#34 Postby SoupBone » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:14 pm

I think your sarcasm meter must be broken or malfunctioning. Go directly to your nearest Ace harware for an upgrade. :lol:
0 likes   

KWT
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Re:

#35 Postby KWT » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:14 pm

cwachal wrote:
we could have it change the word recurve to "make landfall as a cat 5 in my backyard" that would get a lot of people to stop using it so early

:lol:

Key is going to be the usual two S's, speed and strength, stay weak and take a long time to make the journey and the Caribbean threat increases markedly, strengthen too much OR speed up too much, and it follows auntie Danielle and quite possibly uncle Earl into the lovely waters of the North Atlantic for a Icelandic trip!
0 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#36 Postby Aric Dunn » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:18 pm

Its is for sure is another very impressive way right up there with what formed danielle. the wave with earl was a little better but this wave will likely develop as there is no inhibiting factors. there is some evidence for a broad circulation in surface obs and satellite and convection is on the increase so all ingredients are present so just needs some time to get some pressure falls and bingo.. would say about 48 hours for the next TD :)
0 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.
If there is nothing before... then just ask :)

Space & Atmospheric Physicist, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University,
I believe the sky is falling...

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#37 Postby Aric Dunn » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:20 pm

Should gain some distance between this system as it is moving slower at the moment.
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#38 Postby cycloneye » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:21 pm

18z Best Track

AL, 97, 2010082618, , BEST, 0, 115N, 198W, 25, 1009, DB

ftp://ftp.tpc.ncep.noaa.gov/atcf/tcweb/ ... 010.invest

Moving strait west.Only change from the first position is the pressure lower by one millibar.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

KWT
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#39 Postby KWT » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:22 pm

Aric Dunn wrote:Its is for sure is another very impressive way right up there with what formed danielle. the wave with earl was a little better but this wave will likely develop as there is no inhibiting factors. there is some evidence for a broad circulation in surface obs and satellite and convection is on the increase so all ingredients are present so just needs some time to get some pressure falls and bingo.. would say about 48 hours for the next TD :)

That'd much quicker then what the models are currently suggesting, would probably make the idea of this one following the others much more likely IMO....but not a certainty by any means.

It doesn't look bad though does it and its at a fairly deep latitude so if the subtropical high was to strengthen and stay strong like it does on the CMC (the GFS weakens it a fair amount by 144hrs) then things get interesting.

Whilst I think recurvature is more likely again like Earl its not a done deal any imagination...remember that people!!
0 likes   

HURAKAN
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#40 Postby HURAKAN » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:27 pm

Latest ... boom boom pow!
0 likes   

Return to “2010”