Error I have been receiving on and off for nearly two weeks

This forum is for making test posts, requesting assistance, and making suggestions

Moderator: S2k Moderators

ColdFront77

Error I have been receiving on and off for nearly two weeks

#1 Postby ColdFront77 » Tue Aug 12, 2003 4:32 pm

I have never had this sort of error as frequently as I have for just about two weeks...

Microsoft Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

It asked me if I want to restart Microsoft Internet Explorer and then two options, "Send Error Report" and "Don't Send" -- I usually don't send it, but have a few times. I have continually clicked "Don't Sent" and after about a dozen times the website will reluctantly load and everything is find for at least a number of minutes. I am able to have one website opened when this continous error is occurring.

Along with this my computer has occasionally been freezing up when I accidentally (or intentionally) click "Tools" on the toolbar [or probably anything else on the toolbar]

What do you suppose the problem is.

Thank you in advance.
0 likes   

#2 Postby Guest » Tue Aug 12, 2003 4:48 pm

A little more info about your computer might help especially the OS. Is it XP? Sometimes pop ups will hose 5.5 and I would suggest that you check the updates for your OS. Try lavasoft ad-aware to see if something you don't know about is crashing IE. I think IE has a repair option in the add/remove panel, so you might try that first.
0 likes   

weatherwunder
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby weatherwunder » Tue Aug 12, 2003 5:09 pm

There is a critical update for IE on the microsoft updates website. I installed them, and I have had no problems since then.

-Jeff
0 likes   

Stormsfury
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby Stormsfury » Tue Aug 12, 2003 5:11 pm

Ever since I dumped Weatherbug and Kazaa, I've had absolutely no problems with the critical error message and needs to close. I also have had only 2 crashes in the last 3 weeks ever since I dumped both.

SF
0 likes   

Rainband

#5 Postby Rainband » Tue Aug 12, 2003 5:14 pm

I would check and see if you have a virus thats what my puter did..just before it crashed!!! Sorry to be the bearer of bad news!! :(
0 likes   

ColdFront77

#6 Postby ColdFront77 » Tue Aug 12, 2003 6:09 pm

Thank you very much Redder, Mike, Jeff, Mike and Jonathan. :)

My OS is Windows 98 and I have IE 6.0.

I have run Ad-Aware a few times and ScanDisk several times and Disk Defragmenter a couple times. I did a virus check and actually was able to update it today... was having errors doing an update since I got it the software a few months ago.

I have checked for Window Updates and there aren't any downloads available.

My computer eventually crashes some of the time after these errors occur continously, as I said after a view clicks of "Do Not Send" the websites load fully.

As some of you know my CD-ROM hasn't worked over this period, too. Changing the contast, brightness and color has also been a problem over the last two weeks; nothing brightness up my monitor
0 likes   

Lindaloo
Category 5
Category 5

#7 Postby Lindaloo » Tue Aug 12, 2003 7:34 pm

there is a critical update that microsoft has that will fix that problem. it is actually just a bug with ie version 6.
0 likes   

Stephanie
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#8 Postby Stephanie » Tue Aug 12, 2003 8:18 pm

Stormsfury wrote:Ever since I dumped Weatherbug and Kazaa, I've had absolutely no problems with the critical error message and needs to close. I also have had only 2 crashes in the last 3 weeks ever since I dumped both.

SF

Kazaa had totally jammed up my PC too. It was soooo slow and I would get those same error meesages when I had it also. I'm sure it didn't help that my PC is a 1999 IBM Apriva. :roll:

Check for critical updates like Weatherwunder said. You could be amazed at how many are out there that your PC should currently have!
0 likes   

ColdFront77

#9 Postby ColdFront77 » Tue Aug 12, 2003 8:29 pm

When I run Windows Update it says that there aren't any Critical Updates for my computer.

I heard that Kazaa is has files. Files of what?
Last edited by ColdFront77 on Tue Aug 12, 2003 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

Stephanie
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#10 Postby Stephanie » Tue Aug 12, 2003 8:42 pm

Kazaa's files are probably the "shared music" files that are on your PC and are made available to everyone else that is signed up through Kazaa to download the music. Your best bet would be to completely uninstall Kazaa (and keep it off), but save the music to a different directory first. That should help (I hope). :wink:
0 likes   

breeze
Category 5
Category 5

#11 Postby breeze » Tue Aug 12, 2003 8:43 pm

Most of my kazaa is music files, Tom. From places
like the old Napster and Morpheus and Grokster.

What kind of virus scan program do you have?
0 likes   

ColdFront77

#12 Postby ColdFront77 » Tue Aug 12, 2003 8:50 pm

Annette, I have Norton Anti-Virus. I was surprised when I tried updating it and it worked. I haven't ran it since this update worked several hours ago.

ColdFront77 wrote:I heard that Kazaa is has files. Files of what?

Stormsfury wrote:Ever since I dumped Weatherbug and Kazaa, I've had absolutely no problems with the critical error message and needs to close. I also have had only 2 crashes in the last 3 weeks ever since I dumped both.

SF

Stephanie, I do not use Kazaa. :uarrow: SF, was just mentioning it. :uarrow:

I figured that is what they were, wanted to make sure. Thanks.
0 likes   

weatherlover427

#13 Postby weatherlover427 » Tue Aug 12, 2003 8:55 pm

You should send the error reports, Tom. They develop updates and critical updates out of those, which keep your computer safe from hackers and virus attacks; plus the major bug that is going around right now. ;)
0 likes   

ColdFront77

#14 Postby ColdFront77 » Tue Aug 12, 2003 9:00 pm

Joshua, I have send some of the reports in. I don't think continously sending them when they pop up would make much of a difference. "They" are getting the ones I set which aren't too rare.
0 likes   

weatherlover427

#15 Postby weatherlover427 » Tue Aug 12, 2003 9:23 pm

I think you should send at least one or two for every type of error that you get; that way they have a record of what goes wrong with your comp so they know what the bugs are and how to fix them and issue patches for them. :)
0 likes   

GalvestonDuck
Category 5
Category 5
Location: Galveston, oh Galveston (And yeah, it's a barrier island. Wanna make something of it?)

#16 Postby GalvestonDuck » Tue Aug 12, 2003 9:25 pm

Unfortunately, thanks to that annoying LovSan worm virus that hit yesterday and today (all our XP computers on the UTMB network were affected), Microsoft is going to be inundated with error reports very soon.

They won't be due to users actively sending them. Instead, the worm apparently is set to send thousands of error reports automatically. Some of them will say, "Billy Gates, why do you let this happen?"

That worm was a PITA today. Caused my computer to keep locking up with a message that said something like "NT Security Shutdown" and then it had a countdown to shutdown in 60 seconds. It would reboot...and then do it again.

Took most of the morning for our information services guys to get around to all the XP machines and install a patch.

CF -- I used to get those error messages also. But that was back when I had all sorts of stuff downloaded onto my work computer. Kazaa, Weatherbug, different messenger programs, and screensavers like My Corkboard or other interactive ones. Okay, we know you don't have Kazaa. How about any of those others?
0 likes   

blizzard
Category 5
Category 5

#17 Postby blizzard » Tue Aug 12, 2003 9:37 pm

Both my home PC and my laptop were infected with that very virus Duck, what a pain in the rump. had one heck of a time downloading the patch due to the fact that it was shutting down my whole systtem. Have the laptop cured now, just have to wait until I get home tomorrow to fix the home PC.
0 likes   

ColdFront77

#18 Postby ColdFront77 » Tue Aug 12, 2003 10:16 pm

I have AIM and YIM and had MSN a few times, the last time being before uninstalling a half hour to hour ago. Before a couple weeks ago I was unable to download (and install) MSN for some reason.

I enjoy chatting with people on AIM and YIM, so I really wouldn't want to uninstall either one of them.
0 likes   

coriolis
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#19 Postby coriolis » Tue Aug 12, 2003 10:16 pm

I get that message occasionally too. Not enough to be a major hassle.
I'm surprised at the number of former Kazaa users here. :wink: I downloaded Kazaa Lite which is supposed to be free from spyware, and I think it's true. I do Adaware and Spybot frequently, and haven't seen a pattern of more spyware after kazaa lite sessions. If you do download Kazaa lite, it always asks you if you want to "upgrade" to regular Kazaa when you launch it. I always decline. I'm running WinME which is running surprisingly well considering its reputation. When I have problems I do a system restore which usually clears them up. Ironically I always get spyware from the Weather Channel web page called "Avenue A" or something like that.
0 likes   
This space for rent.

weatherlover427

#20 Postby weatherlover427 » Tue Aug 12, 2003 10:31 pm

http://www.techtv.com/callforhelp/freef ... 27,00.html

That is a link to a spyware nuker - it nukes spyware BEFORE it has a chance to put itself on your comp! :) Only one file made it through since I installed it. It is free btw. :)
0 likes   

Return to “Tests, Help, & Suggestions”