Clicking links in posts

This forum is for making test posts, requesting assistance, and making suggestions

Moderator: S2k Moderators

ColdFront77

Clicking links in posts

#1 Postby ColdFront77 » Mon Jan 05, 2004 5:00 pm

For the last several days now, every time I click a link in a post (in any forum), this site freezes up.

I appreciate any feedback on this situation. Thank you very much in advance.
0 likes   

GalvestonDuck
Category 5
Category 5
Location: Galveston, oh Galveston (And yeah, it's a barrier island. Wanna make something of it?)

#2 Postby GalvestonDuck » Mon Jan 05, 2004 5:12 pm

I haven't experienced it, but then again, I haven't used my work computer for the past couple of days. My DSL at home is acting slow, but aside from that, no freezing when I link away from here.
0 likes   

weatherlover427

#3 Postby weatherlover427 » Mon Jan 05, 2004 6:34 pm

I just clicked the link in your sig, Tom; and it loaded; but it was a bit slow. My cable internet has been a bit slow on this site sometimes (and a few others I might add), on others it flies.
0 likes   

ColdFront77

#4 Postby ColdFront77 » Mon Jan 05, 2004 6:44 pm

I have been having this problem for some reason and I can't seem to pinpoint it. I had Sygate Firewall, seemed at first that was the problem (I uninstalled it [again] last night).

I have Norton AntiVirus installed, but disabled to see if that is the problem and that isn't either.

I had to do "ipconfig /release" and "ipconfig /renew" in "Run > type "cmd" after installing both of them so I could am access websites, but the problem continues to be links in posts here including the Stats page... (and links elsewhere, as well).
Last edited by ColdFront77 on Mon Jan 05, 2004 7:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 likes   

weatherlover427

#5 Postby weatherlover427 » Mon Jan 05, 2004 6:48 pm

The stats page is always slow to load because it has so much info to calculate. I don't know why but my cable internet has been seriously lagging lately. :o
0 likes   

ColdFront77

#6 Postby ColdFront77 » Mon Jan 05, 2004 6:52 pm

I am well aware that he stat page is always slow, using it very often for personal interest and to calculate the statistics for the site. It has been faster on my new computer... since this problem began a few days ago... now along with links I click the whole site doesn't do anything and I have to Ctrl + Alt + Del and close the window and reaccess S2K.
0 likes   

ColdFront77

#7 Postby ColdFront77 » Mon Jan 05, 2004 7:29 pm

I defragged about four times in the last two days and a link I clicked in the Winter Weather forum loaded slowly, but at least it loaded.

Hours later ---> The problem hasn't really cleared up, I defragged again early this morning and restarted my computer; like Sunday night-Monday morning I am able to access websites via links in posts, but not as fast as it should be/was.

I am able to view websites from links here and elsewhere (sites that for some reason aren't loading by copying and pasting the web address.

I know full well that it is important to delete temporary internet files, clear history and delete cookies. I do these three things frequently. Apparently Windows XP does something differently with them... that is to say it I notice that it takes longer for the same number of files to delete and clear compared to Windows 98. (I noticed this at my brother and sister-in-law's computer in Melbourne, FL and my sister and brother-in-law's in Massachusetts).

Hopefully I can get to the bottom of this, sooner rather than later... as I am still accessing some sites that are taking longer than normal to load on a PC with 512MB of RAM and a cable modem.

Also, the "Search" in my "Start Menu" isn't working. I did a search for it and there are directions to follow to fix the problem, however, I am able to access the feature from the Toolbar.
0 likes   

ColdFront77

#8 Postby ColdFront77 » Tue Jan 06, 2004 9:42 pm

I am getting the "Send"/"Don't Send window(s)," too when I am receiving these "Not Responding Errors."
0 likes   

mf_dolphin
Category 5
Category 5

#9 Postby mf_dolphin » Tue Jan 06, 2004 10:11 pm

Sounds like your Internet Explorere has been hijacked. Just for a test try downloading Netscape and see if that works.
0 likes   

ColdFront77

#10 Postby ColdFront77 » Wed Jan 07, 2004 4:46 pm

I could sure tell there is something wrong with my browser.

I downloaded and installed Internet Explorer 6.0 figuring that would fix the problem (don't see why I have to use Netscape/never can use Internet Explorer again).

My homepage (Yahoo!) loaded quicker than it had been since this happened several days ago, howeve, I still couldn't access my e-mail.

I just tried the "Stats" link above and that worked fine for the first time since before this problem started.

8:50 pm Eastern: Was able to access my e-mail once, a few hours ago.
0 likes   

chadtm80
Category 5
Category 5

#11 Postby chadtm80 » Wed Jan 07, 2004 9:39 pm

He wasnt telling you to never use netscape again.. He was asking you to try netscape so we could then see if it was indeed IE causing the problem, then we would go from there
0 likes   

ColdFront77

#12 Postby ColdFront77 » Thu Jan 08, 2004 12:40 am

Chad, I know that Marshall said for a test to try Netscape. Sorry for posting my thoughts the way that I did above.

I just tested two sites that I was experiencing the problem with and both worked fine using Netscape.

I believe I fixed the problem. Checking my e-mail is still sluggish, but the smaller window where the list of e-mails is for some reason covered up by the larger site... the site to log into. The same for the "Stats page,' via the link above.

(As I mentioned above, I am aware that this page is supposed take a number of seconds to load; as I have been accessing it daily for many months).
0 likes   

Return to “Tests, Help, & Suggestions”