ALEUTIAN ISLAND QUAKES

Discuss Astronomy, Geology and other related subjects like Earthquakes, Volcanos, Tsunami's and other Natural events around the world.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

alan1961
Category 2
Category 2

ALEUTIAN ISLAND QUAKES

#1 Postby alan1961 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:56 pm

Take a look at the USGS site, its incredible how many quakes there have been in the last day or two in the Aleutian islands, admitedly they are only small and moderate but the number of them is numerous! :eek:

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/rec ... es_all.php

http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/story/486964.html
0 likes   

Dionne
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Location: SW Mississippi....Alaska transplant via a Southern Belle.

Re: ALEUTIAN ISLAND QUAKES

#2 Postby Dionne » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:03 am

The Aleutian Islands are part of the ring of fire around the Pacific ocean. There has been seismic activity in that region for a long time. For Alaskans.....the smaller earthquakes (<3).....are as common as thunderstorms in the lower 48. The USGS typically records 800-900 earthquakes every week in the region extending from southern California to Attu Island. The greatest threat are tsunamis generated when the epicenters are below the ocean floor.
0 likes   

lurkey
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby lurkey » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:23 am

There has been a lot of seismic activity the last two months ranging from 1.6 to 5.0 in the Aleutian Islands.
0 likes   

alan1961
Category 2
Category 2

#4 Postby alan1961 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:01 am

Dionne wrote:The Aleutian Islands are part of the ring of fire around the Pacific ocean. There has been seismic activity in that region for a long time. For Alaskans.....the smaller earthquakes (<3).....are as common as thunderstorms in the lower 48. The USGS typically records 800-900 earthquakes every week in the region extending from southern California to Attu Island. The greatest threat are tsunamis generated when the epicenters are below the ocean floor.

Yes Dionne i understand that this area of the tectonic ring of fire is constantly active as well as for example indonesia and japan but it just amazed me a few days ago to see one after the other and your talking minutes not hours recorded on the USGS site..i can't recall ever seeing that many in such a short time..cheers for your info anyway :wink:
0 likes   

Dionne
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5 Postby Dionne » Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:24 am

The numbers are rather high.......over 1300 in the last 7 days. Four in the last hour.

I check the USGS site daily. Earthquakes are like hurricanes for me. Once you've been through a big one it gets in your blood. I was in Anchorage when the March 27, 1964 Good Friday earthquake 9.2 hit. Never forget that one, for sure.

At least with hurricanes we get some warning.
0 likes   

azsnowman
Category 5
Category 5
Location: Pinetop Arizona. Elevation 7102' (54 miles west of NM border)

#6 Postby azsnowman » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:26 pm

I was stationed at NAVSTA Adak, Alaska from Dec. 1976 till Nov. 1977 and I can't tell you HOW many quakes we had during that 11 months. It was nothing to be setting in the bar in the barracks and have a rumbler come through, knock glasses off shelves and OH NO...bottles of BOOZE TOO :ggreen:

We had to evacuate the barracks 3 times if I recall correctly and head to higher grounds in case of a tsunami...
0 likes   

Dionne
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7 Postby Dionne » Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:26 am

Yesterday was interesting in Alaska. Six temblors >3. And a flurry of >1. USGS is now over 1400 for the west coast and Aleutians. We're the Rolling Stones playing Anchorage?
0 likes   

lurkey
Category 5
Category 5

#8 Postby lurkey » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:26 am

Could the Aleutian Island quakes be related to the recent volcanic activity in Alaska?

viewtopic.php?p=1761859#p1761859

angelwing wrote:And did you see this? (I hope it wasn't posted already):

Biologists plucked from erupting volcanic island

By JULIA O'MALLEY | jo'malley@adn.com

Two U.S. Fish & Wildlife biologists were rescued from volcanic Kasatochi Island in the Aleutians today shortly before an eruption sent an ash plume 35,000 feet in the air

go here for the rest of the story:

http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/story/486964.html

viewtopic.php?f=67&t=102143

Matt-hurricanewatcher wrote:Alaska Supervolcano Erupting?

23 Jul 08 – “Note that not only is the caldera double the size of the one erupting in Chili,” says reader Charles P., “but that a sister volcano, outside the caldera, began erupting as well.”

The Alaska Volcano Observatory says the six-mile-wide caldera has
several vents erupting simultaneously. (Courtesy U.S. Coast Guard)

The Alaska Volcano Observatory says that Okmok Volcano's six-mile-wide caldera has several vents erupting simultaneously.

Billowing ash clouds are reaching heights of up to 20,000 feet as seismic activity continues to fluctuate.

Geologists say they have been very busy trying to monitor not only the Okmok eruption, but also the erupting Cleveland Volcano nearby.

'I can't remember the last time we managed two eruptions at once, especially two so closely spaced on the volcanic arc,' said Tina Neal with the Alaska Volcano Observatory.

See entire article:
http://www.ktuu.com/Global/story.asp?S=8719449
0 likes   

Dionne
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9 Postby Dionne » Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:24 pm

Of course the quakes are related to the volcanic activity. We always knew when the Ring of Fire became active we would have tremors. Someone earlier mentioned the tectonic plates....same deal. We're living on the skin of the Earth.
0 likes   

Return to “Astronomy and Geology”