Further from the Sun means colder.

Discuss Astronomy, Geology and other related subjects like Earthquakes, Volcanos, Tsunami's and other Natural events around the world.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

gigabite
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Further from the Sun means colder.

#1 Postby gigabite » Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:13 pm

0 likes   

Matt-hurricanewatcher
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Further from the Sun means colder.

#2 Postby Matt-hurricanewatcher » Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:19 pm

A question, will we grow farther from the sun as the shape of our orbit "changes", meaning more oval ? In do you see this becoming more so.
0 likes   

gigabite
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Further from the Sun means colder.

#3 Postby gigabite » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:00 am

This is a multi decade long slingshot event being caused by the closeness of this approach of the Jovian perihelion that is shifting/perturbing Earth’s orbit. The effect should be over before solar cycle 26. I haven’t looked at it close enough yet to tell if the orbit is changing shape. Summer is moving closer to the Sun over the next 1000 years, and I am told winter is moving away from the Sun. Right now all four seasons are moving away from the Sun.

The dramatic effect should be year over year overnight temperatures, because the Earth’s plasma-shield should be eroding, and that portion that extends leeward of the terminator will go first. I hope to get some GPS TEC data that shows that this week.

There was a note about the temperatures in Boston and Washing ton year over year being down 12 degrees on the Weather Channel this morning (07/28/2008).

It’s not showing up in the CPC’s seasonal forecast for January February, March 2009.
0 likes   

Return to “Astronomy and Geology”