Magnitude 7.9 - SAMOA ISLANDS - Death toll could reach 200

Discuss Astronomy, Geology and other related subjects like Earthquakes, Volcanos, Tsunami's and other Natural events around the world.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

expat2carib
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#21 Postby expat2carib » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:37 pm

fact789 wrote:Some sad news to report this afternoon for me. Phi Theta Kappa has its oldest chapter in the South Pacific in the American Samoa. Alpha Epsilon Mu was devastated by the earthquake and tsunami. American Samoa Community College - Pago Pago was hard hit by the Tsunami. Phi Theta Kappa is asking members to donate to the American Red Cross by calling 1-800-733-2767 or by visiting the website, and mentioning Phi Theta Kappa.

For those unaware, I am the Chapter Vice President of Leadership at my college, and a Leadership Officer in the Florida Region of Phi Theta Kappa.

I will keep everyone up to date as I find out more information.

Pardon me with all respect. But what/who is Phi Theta Kappa, Alpha Epsilon Mu? Sounds like a sect of some kind.
0 likes   

JonathanBelles
Professional-Met
Professional-Met
Location: School: Florida State University (Tallahassee, FL) Home: St. Petersburg, Florida

#22 Postby JonathanBelles » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:08 pm

no, lol. Phi Theta Kappa is the International Honor Society of the Two-Year College, and Alpha Epsilon Mu is one of our 1250 chapters from around the world. We are a society of nearly 2.5 million students.
0 likes   

srainhoutx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Magnitude 7.9 - SAMOA ISLANDS - Death toll could reach 200

#23 Postby srainhoutx » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:06 pm

Amazing images :cry:

HONOLULU (BNO NEWS) – The Honolulu office of the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) on Friday released dramatic footage of last month's tsunami striking a parking lot on American Samoa.

The video shows the parking lot of the building that houses the FBI Resident Agency office on the second floor of Pago Plaza in the American Samoa Village of Pago Pago.

Because the FBI office in American Samoa is located on the second floor, the office suffered only minimal damage and the FBI continues to perform its law enforcement functions, said Special Agent Tom Simon, who is a spokesman for the Honolulu office of the FBI. "During the aftermath of the tsunami, the FBI will continue to assist in recovery efforts as requested by the Territorial Office of Homeland Security and the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)," Simon said.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9kxh-h5uUk&feature=player_embedded
0 likes   
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Wx Infinity Forums
http://wxinfinity.com/index.php

Facebook.com/WeatherInfinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity

masaji79
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#24 Postby masaji79 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:54 am

This is what happened at Keahou Bay, Hawaii the day of the Samoan Tsunami
Nobody was really expecting this

Sorry for the multiple images :x

0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#25 Postby vbhoutex » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:21 am

Whoa!! :eek:
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

HURAKAN
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#26 Postby HURAKAN » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:37 am

Quite impressive
0 likes   

JonathanBelles
Professional-Met
Professional-Met
Location: School: Florida State University (Tallahassee, FL) Home: St. Petersburg, Florida

#27 Postby JonathanBelles » Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:02 pm

Wow!! Any more pictures from Samoa? Specifically from the American Samoa Community College - Pago Pago campus?
0 likes   

Return to “Astronomy and Geology”