Asteroid up to 45m just missed Earth by 45,000 miles

Discuss Astronomy, Geology and other related subjects like Earthquakes, Volcanos, Tsunami's and other Natural events around the world.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

RL3AO
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

Asteroid up to 45m just missed Earth by 45,000 miles

#1 Postby RL3AO » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:21 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7921279.stm

Somewhat disturbing is that it was only discovered three days before its closest approach. I've felt for awhile now that we need to put more money into finding smaller asteriods (like this one). Yes there are the big ones that would end life on Earth, but we are more likely to be hit by an asteriod like this. While it wouldn't be a global killer, it could flatten almost any city on Earth. Could you imagine only having three days to evacuate a New York City or a Tokyo or even an entire coastline if it was going to hit in a body of water like the Indian Ocean?

I'm a lot more worried about a Tunguska like event happening this century than anything that killed the dinosaurs.
0 likes   

HURAKAN
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#2 Postby HURAKAN » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:29 pm

Scary situation. Good that it didn't hit the Earth. Accretion continues its work.
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

Re: Asteroid up to 45m just missed Earth by 45,000 miles

#3 Postby vbhoutex » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:01 pm

I have always thought that a lot more attention needs to be paid to the probability of a strke here on Earth and not to just possible global killers. That is just plain scary!!
0 likes   

Return to “Astronomy and Geology”