North Texas Earthquake

Discuss Astronomy, Geology and other related subjects like Earthquakes, Volcanos, Tsunami's and other Natural events around the world.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

CaptinCrunch
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

North Texas Earthquake

#1 Postby CaptinCrunch » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:09 pm

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE FORT WORTH TX
346 AM CDT FRI OCT 31 2008

.DISCUSSION...
OF INTEREST...AT 1201 AM CDT A 3.0 MAGNITUDE EARTHQUAKE OCCURRED
IN GRAND PRAIRIE/IRVING. USGS REPORTS THE EPICENTER WAS IN THE
SHADY GROVE AREA.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsus/Maps/US2/32.34.-98.-96.php

Hard to believe that we had 2 earthquakes last night, that were felt as much as 7 miles form the eqcenter.
Last edited by CaptinCrunch on Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

Ed Mahmoud

Re: North Texas Earthquake

#2 Postby Ed Mahmoud » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:21 pm

I believe earthquakes that tiny are a daily occurence in places like California and Alaska.

Essentially, all of Texas outside the Mountain Time Zone is essentially as safe as anyplace can be, from earthquakes. I have read that a worst case New Madrid quake, which could destroy Memphis and St Louis, could cause some wall cracking and chimney collapses as far Southwest as the Northeastern suburbs of Dallas.

Now, I also understand the most recent Yellowstone eruption deposited six feet of volcanic ash on parts of North Texas. That'd kill a lot of people.

But very few parts of North America will escape that, and nobody will escape the crop failures and decades of colder than normal weather from the "nuclear winter" that follows.

And all the current S2K members will have almost certainly died of something else long before Yellowstone destroys DFW.
0 likes   

CaptinCrunch
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3 Postby CaptinCrunch » Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:29 pm

Ed Mahmoud wrote:I believe earthquakes that tiny are a daily occurence in places like California and Alaska.

Essentially, all of Texas outside the Mountain Time Zone is essentially as safe as anyplace can be, from earthquakes. I have read that a worst case New Madrid quake, which could destroy Memphis and St Louis, could cause some wall cracking and chimney collapses as far Southwest as the Northeastern suburbs of Dallas.

Now, I also understand the most recent Yellowstone eruption deposited six feet of volcanic ash on parts of North Texas. That'd kill a lot of people.

But very few parts of North America will escape that, and nobody will escape the crop failures and decades of colder than normal weather from the "nuclear winter" that follows.

And all the current S2K members will have almost certainly died of something else long before Yellowstone destroys DFW.

It's a very rare event for NTX to have an earthquake, even though it is possible, and even rarer for folks to even feel it when it happens.

Alaska and California have 90% of all EQ's in the the U.S.

Number of USA earthquakes with M1+ in the past 7 days located by USGS and Contributing Agencies. 962
0 likes   

zaqxsw75050
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#4 Postby zaqxsw75050 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:07 pm

I live only a few street away from the epicenter and I would say that the earthquake was more than just feel it is there. I can feel the whole house shake and hear objects vibrate. I can actually hear the earthquake come and go because of a rumble sound that sounds like thunder the ground created.
0 likes   

CaptinCrunch
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5 Postby CaptinCrunch » Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:50 pm

0 likes   

somethingfunny
ChatStaff
ChatStaff

#6 Postby somethingfunny » Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:17 pm

I felt nothing.

No kidding.....why would a small swarm hit Grand Prairie and Irving, of all places? Possible side effect of drilling the Barnett Shale?
0 likes   

Return to “Astronomy and Geology”