EU and Russia unveil new spacecraft

Discuss Astronomy, Geology and other related subjects like Earthquakes, Volcanos, Tsunami's and other Natural events around the world.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Matt-hurricanewatcher
Category 5
Category 5

#1 Postby Matt-hurricanewatcher » Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:56 am

IT News ^ | July 26, 2008 | Iain Thomson

Space flight planners have unveiled a new spaceship design for a joint EU/Russian trip to the Moon.

The EU will be building the crew capsule, using technology developed for the automatic cargo system used to supply the International Space Station.

The capsule will use rockets to land and take off from the lunar surface and to touchdown back on Earth so that it can be reused.

The Russians are enhancing their existing booster technology into a larger rocket capable of carrying six people into orbit or four to the Moon.

"If the European Space Agency and the Russian Space Agency reach agreement, Europe will supply the service module of a co-operative spacecraft," Russian aerospace writer Anatoly Zak told BBC News.

Nasa has already announced that it intends to make a trip to the lunar surface by 2020 and set up a manned base by 2024.

However, Nasa will have to develop a completely new design of rocket to do so and engineers have already expressed doubts at the timescale.

This new craft, based on established technology, could be there a lot faster, but no plans have been announced as yet.

http://www.itnews.com.au/News/81218,eu- ... craft.aspx

Let me just say that this may be the only chance to see men on the moon in my life time. I'm not holding my breath for the United states to get to the moon within the next 30 years. Our space program back to the moon then to mars will likely be cut next year. I bet it will like it has for the last 40 freaking years. I hope China, India, EU, Russia take the step if we won't. Who ever that does I hope they become a very rich country that is able to keep on doing it; by that I mean supporting a space program that can land and build bases in space, and to push humanity outwards.
0 likes   

RL3AO
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#2 Postby RL3AO » Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:04 pm

It will take someone else doing it before the US does it again.
0 likes   

Return to “Astronomy and Geology”