Tropical Depression GABRIELLE:Discussions and Images

Moderator: S2k Moderators

HURAKAN
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re: Subtropical Storm Gabrielle advisories

#21 Postby HURAKAN » Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:38 pm

NCWeatherChic wrote:Wonder if this storm is the reason why the labor & delivery area at the hospital was booming today....so I have to wait and see if I can be induced tomorrow. I had to call every 3hrs today and nada...she said they were delivering in triage they were so full and so unexpected.

Please: Discussion is in here: viewtopic.php?f=59&t=97781&p=1624818#p1624818
0 likes   

NCWeatherChic
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Re: Subtropical Storm Gabrielle Discussions and Images

#22 Postby NCWeatherChic » Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:40 pm

Is it possible for Gabby to become at Cat 1 before Sunday nights estimated landfall? And, I was thinking it would be closer to landfall between Myrtle Beach SC and Wilmington, NC? Any thoughts?
0 likes   

MiamiensisWx

#23 Postby MiamiensisWx » Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:40 pm

A friendly reminder:

We could fill 1,000 pages with one-liners, chat, and greetings to a non-human entity. We could continue our model speculation with no facts to support them. I'm blunt, but it's the truth. We should restrain ourselves, folks. Please stop the one-liners per each second. I cannot get any constructive analyses. I can't read the thread!!! We should relax our fingers.

I'll get off my soapbox. I saw the posts in the old 99L thread.
Last edited by MiamiensisWx on Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#24 Postby CrazyC83 » Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:40 pm

What will Gabrielle be called if it reaches hurricane intensity and is still subtropical?
0 likes   

ConvergenceZone
Category 5
Category 5

#25 Postby ConvergenceZone » Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:40 pm

I'm losing my interest in this one. Yea, it will probably be a weak to moderate tropical storm upon landfall, but half the enjoyment is not knowing how strong it will be and also watching a beautiful storm spin up. I'd prefer watching a decent sized hurricane, just turning before it hit the shoreline, so that it stayed off shore, that would be much more enjoyable...Frustrating storms like this don't do it for me, but I know others enjoy it :)..nonetheless, I'll tune into the board a couple of times over the weekend to see if NC is getting some much needed rain...
0 likes   

storms in NC
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#26 Postby storms in NC » Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:41 pm

don't most women take there time LOL Oh no put my self down cause I be one too. :D
0 likes   

fasterdisaster
Category 5
Category 5

#27 Postby fasterdisaster » Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:41 pm

NCWeatherChic wrote:Is it possible for Gabby to become at Cat 1 before Sunday nights estimated landfall? And, I was thinking it would be closer to landfall between Myrtle Beach SC and Wilmington, NC? Any thoughts?

Yes I do think it's possible and the NHC is being fairly conservative with their forecast. But it is because they are assuming it to be subtropical for another whole day, when it could possibly be so for only 12 hours or so.
0 likes   

Bane
Category 2
Category 2

#28 Postby Bane » Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:41 pm

tropical storm watch from edisto beach, sc to oregon inlet, nc
0 likes   

Chacor
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#29 Postby Chacor » Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:42 pm

CrazyC83 wrote:What will Gabrielle be called if it reaches hurricane intensity and is still subtropical?

Subtropical Storm.
0 likes   

fasterdisaster
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#30 Postby fasterdisaster » Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:43 pm

CrazyC83 wrote:What will Gabrielle be called if it reaches hurricane intensity and is still subtropical?

I think I've read that's an impossibility, and 60 to 65 mph is the maximum possibility for a still subtropical storm.
0 likes   

Recurve
Category 5
Category 5

#31 Postby Recurve » Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:44 pm

WeatherChick, just the typical thoughts here -- don't focus on an exact point of landfall three or two days out, be prepared for it coming to you if you're in the cone, and plan for one category higher than forecast. Even tropical storms can throw out a mess of tornadoes and produce flash floods.

The pros (NHC and the mets here) are the only one's I'd listen to for track guidance.
0 likes   

ConvergenceZone
Category 5
Category 5

#32 Postby ConvergenceZone » Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:44 pm

fasterdisaster wrote:
NCWeatherChic wrote:Is it possible for Gabby to become at Cat 1 before Sunday nights estimated landfall? And, I was thinking it would be closer to landfall between Myrtle Beach SC and Wilmington, NC? Any thoughts?

Yes I do think it's possible and the NHC is being fairly conservative with their forecast. But it is because they are assuming it to be subtropical for another whole day, when it could possibly be so for only 12 hours or so.

I don't know about that, mets on here even mentioned this today said weak to moderate tropical storm upon landfall..
0 likes   

Matt-hurricanewatcher
Category 5
Category 5

#33 Postby Matt-hurricanewatcher » Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:44 pm

If I remember right if a subtropical system reachs hurricane strength it is called a hurricane. In really that kind of wind in a subtropical system is very rare. I'm not really sure about this.
0 likes   

fasterdisaster
Category 5
Category 5

#34 Postby fasterdisaster » Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:47 pm

ConvergenceZone wrote:
fasterdisaster wrote:

I don't know about that, mets on here even mentioned this today said weak to moderate tropical storm upon landfall..

That was before this was suddenly initialized as a 45 mph storm.
0 likes   

Chacor
Category 5
Category 5

#35 Postby Chacor » Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:47 pm

Check HURDAT. Subtropical Storm 1 in 1968 and 1979 were both called STSes, at hurricane strength of 70 and 65 kt respectively.

Also, in the NHC's glossary, there is no upper wind speed limit for subtropical storms.
Last edited by Chacor on Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

jimvb
Category 1
Category 1

Re: Subtropical Storm GABRIELLE (ATL): Discussions and Images

#36 Postby jimvb » Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:47 pm

Logically if a subtropical storm gets winds exceeding 74 mph, it should be called a subhurricane. But my guess is that it is just simply called a hurricane.
0 likes   

fasterdisaster
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#37 Postby fasterdisaster » Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:48 pm

Chacor wrote:Check HURDAT. Subtropical Storm 1 in 1968 and 1979 were both called STSes, at hurricane strength of 70 and 65 kt respectively.

Also, in the NHC's glossary, there is no upper wind speed limit for subtropical storms.

Actually it was me who said that, sorry, I thought I read it somewhere but I was wrong.
0 likes   

Bane
Category 2
Category 2

Re: Subtropical Storm GABRIELLE (ATL): Discussions and Images

#38 Postby Bane » Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:49 pm

here is an historical perspective of storms that have formed near gabrielle. the map is courtesy of weatherunderground.
Last edited by Bane on Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

NCWeatherChic
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#39 Postby NCWeatherChic » Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:50 pm

Recurve wrote:WeatherChick, just the typical thoughts here -- don't focus on an exact point of landfall three or two days out, be prepared for it coming to you if you're in the cone, and plan for one category higher than forecast. Even tropical storms can throw out a mess of tornadoes and produce flash floods.

The pros (NHC and the mets here) are the only one's I'd listen to for track guidance.

I suppose you are right...I guess I am antsy as I was to be induced today and the L&D floor was booming and the nurses I spoke to said they never have that many babies being born without a storm of some sort right on us or a full moon. They were delivering in triage it was so messed up. I called every 3hrs today and now to start over tomorrow morning at 10am and hope to get in and then get out before Gabby comes just in case she is stronger than expected. I certainly don't want to deliver at home!!! (Where's that epidural?)

Thanks,
Angela
0 likes   

Bane
Category 2
Category 2

#40 Postby Bane » Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:51 pm

NCWeatherChic wrote:
Recurve wrote:WeatherChick, just the typical thoughts here -- don't focus on an exact point of landfall three or two days out, be prepared for it coming to you if you're in the cone, and plan for one category higher than forecast. Even tropical storms can throw out a mess of tornadoes and produce flash floods.

I suppose you are right...I guess I am antsy as I was to be induced today and the L&D floor was booming and the nurses I spoke to said they never have that many babies being born without a storm of some sort right on us or a full moon. They were delivering in triage it was so messed up. I called every 3hrs today and now to start over tomorrow morning at 10am and hope to get in and then get out before Gabby comes just in case she is stronger than expected. I certainly don't want to deliver at home!!! (Where's that epidural?)

Thanks,
Angela

last october, my wife and i went through the same thing. it took 18 hours to get her into the hospital.
0 likes   

Return to “2007”