Anthrax again???

Chat about anything and everything... (well almost anything) Whether it be the front porch or the pot belly stove or news of interest or a topic of your liking, this is the place to post it.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

wx247
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Anthrax again???

#1 Postby wx247 » Sun Feb 16, 2003 1:58 pm

Here is an article from the AP:

Authorities in New Jersey, where at least five anthrax-laden letters were mailed in 2001, closed another post office after white powder fell from a package containing a threatening letter.

An initial test was negative for anthrax, but a secondary test was inconclusive, Postal Service spokesman Tony Esposito said. He said one employee came in contact with the powder but didn't appear to have symptoms.

The post office was closed Saturday as a precaution, pending tests by the state health department.

The substance was discovered Friday night when a postmark machine stamped a padded envelope addressed to an eastern Pennsylvania residence and the powder spilled out, Esposito told The Star-Ledger of Newark. He wouldn't say what town the letter was destined for.

The substance was discovered Friday night when a postmark machine stamped a padded envelope addressed to an eastern Pennsylvania residence and the powder spilled out, Esposito told The Star-Ledger of Newark. He wouldn't say what town the letter was destined for.

Garrett :o
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

southerngale
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#2 Postby southerngale » Sun Feb 16, 2003 2:02 pm

Hopefully it's just a hoax and then we punish them like it's not! :x
0 likes   
Please support Storm2k by making a donation today. It is greatly appreciated! Click here: Image

Image my Cowboys Image my RocketsImage my Astros

JQ Public
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby JQ Public » Sun Feb 16, 2003 2:10 pm

A wife of a victim of the anthrax letters in 2001 is suing a maryland base b/c her husband died after being infected with anthrax!

Widow of Florida anthrax victim files $50 million claim:
FORT LAUDERDALE, Florida (AP) -- The widow of a man killed by inhalation anthrax has filed a $50 million wrongful-death claim with the government, alleging lax security at a Maryland Army base allowed the theft of the deadly strain.

Robert Stevens, a photo editor in a building owned by American Media Inc., publisher of six supermarket tabloids, including The National Enquirer and Globe, died October 5, 2001, after apparently becoming infected from a tainted letter.

Stevens' death was the first known U.S. death from the inhaled form of the disease since 1976 -- and the first of five people to die nationwide in anthrax attacks in the weeks following the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks. No one has been arrested.

Maureen Stevens wants to get more information about her husband's death -- including a copy of his autopsy report -- and is pursuing a financial settlement, her attorney, Richard Schuler, said Friday.

"There have been no arrests. There's been no information given to her, no indication that the investigation is progressing," Schuler said.

Schuler said he sent the claim to the Defense Department and the Army. If the government denies the claim, he has six months to file a lawsuit.

The claim outlines a theory that Stevens was killed by the anthrax that came from a security breach at Fort Dietrick in Maryland, which houses the Army's Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases.

The lab develops vaccines and drugs to protect service members from biological warfare agents.

Army spokesman Chuck Dasey declined to comment on the claim.

Schuler did not return a phone message left with his office answering service late Friday.
0 likes   

Rob-TheStormChaser

#4 Postby Rob-TheStormChaser » Sun Feb 16, 2003 2:17 pm

We had a woman in her mid 50s here prosecuted and sent to prison for Anthrax hoaxing here in 2001...in October....good for her...I hope she rots in there...that is nothing to play arund with in the minds of people in our communities.
0 likes   

Stormsfury
Category 5
Category 5

#5 Postby Stormsfury » Mon Feb 17, 2003 6:10 pm

With myself being a postal worker, and the mail I sorted today was letters and flats ... geez!...Just when I thought I had enough stress in my life right now ... this is all that I need ... :roll: :roll: :roll:

Thus truely a shame with COWARDS staging attacks such as these.
0 likes   

Return to “Off Topic”