Canadians hold two Pakistanis at U.S. border

Chat about anything and everything... (well almost anything) Whether it be the front porch or the pot belly stove or news of interest or a topic of your liking, this is the place to post it.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

bfez1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Location: Meraux--10 mi E of New Orleans-totally destroyed by Katrina

Canadians hold two Pakistanis at U.S. border

#1 Postby bfez1 » Sat Feb 15, 2003 12:48 pm

NIAGARA FALLS, Canada (CNN) -- Canadian authorities Saturday were questioning two Pakistani men, detained as they tried to enter Canada from the United States carrying materials that triggered the scrutiny of customs agents, police said.

No charges have been filed against the men, and Canadian police would not disclose what they were carrying or why they were detained Friday morning.
0 likes   

mf_dolphin
Category 5
Category 5

#2 Postby mf_dolphin » Sat Feb 15, 2003 12:51 pm

Maybe the Canadiens should send them to the US.... in a barrel.....over the falls! Just an idea.
0 likes   

streetsoldier
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#3 Postby streetsoldier » Sat Feb 15, 2003 2:12 pm

I hope the RCMP is holding them by their cojones; or would that be too much to ask?
0 likes   

JQ Public
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby JQ Public » Sat Feb 15, 2003 3:07 pm

y'all are a little harsh. They haven't even said anything yet and the first thing you wanna do is lynch them. Wonder what you'd do if i walked by you.
0 likes   

streetsoldier
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#5 Postby streetsoldier » Sat Feb 15, 2003 3:25 pm

"What would you do if I walked by you?"....Interesting question, but requires substantial elaboration...why would you say that, of all things?
0 likes   

mf_dolphin
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby mf_dolphin » Sat Feb 15, 2003 3:27 pm

My comment was "tongue in cheek...." :D
0 likes   

JQ Public
Category 5
Category 5

#7 Postby JQ Public » Sat Feb 15, 2003 3:39 pm

O just because my parents emigrated from India to America. Born and raised in raleigh, NC...I've lived here my whole life. And i would just hate to think of what people are saying about me under their breath when they don't even know me.
Last edited by JQ Public on Sat Feb 15, 2003 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

Rob-TheStormChaser

#8 Postby Rob-TheStormChaser » Sat Feb 15, 2003 3:42 pm

How about remembering this little tidbit........

Canadian Held In Afghanistan Over Killing Of U.S. Soldier
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New York Times
September 14, 2002

Canadian Held In Afghanistan Over Killing Of U.S. Soldier

By Clifford Krauss

TORONTO, Sept. 13 — A Canadian teenager accused of killing an American medic while fighting with Al Qaeda in Afghanistan is being held there by the United States, Canadian officials say.

The Canadian government has requested that Washington allow its consular officials to interview the 15-year-old, Omar Khadr, but the Bush administration refused permission this week.

Mr. Khadr was born in Canada, and accounts of his immigrant family's activities in radical Muslim politics have embarrassed the government as it works to tighten security in its immigration policy.

Mr. Khadr's 20-year-old brother, Abdul Rahman, who was born in Bahrain, was seized by Northern Alliance forces, the United States' allies, while fighting with Al Qaeda in Afghanistan in November. Their father, Ahmed Said Khadr, an Egyptian-born Canadian citizen considered by Canadian intelligence officials to be a close associate of Osama bin Laden, is believed to be hiding in Pakistan or Afghanistan.

Canadian officials said Omar Khadr was badly wounded and captured on July 27 in the Afghan village of Ab Khail, near the Pakistan border, after a four- hour gun battle in which Sgt. First Class Christopher J. Speer died; American officials believe that he was killed by a grenade thrown by Mr. Khadr.

Mr. Khadr is still being held in Afghanistan, according to Canadian officials, who say they have been kept abreast of his condition by the Red Cross and informally by the United States.

The officials said they sent Washington a diplomatic note on Aug. 30 asking permission for a consular meeting with the youth, but that in its reply on Monday, the United States would not even acknowledge that it was holding him.

The Foreign Affairs Ministry said the government "is concerned that a Canadian juvenile has been detained, and believes that this individual's age be taken into account in determining treatment."

A Bush administration official said the United States did not customarily confirm holding prisoners in Afghanistan until they were transferred to the American base in Guantánamo Bay, Cuba, for long-term internment. But the official, referring to the American military account of Mr. Khadr's actions, said, "The battle was over, and this kid popped up and threw a grenade, so it appears pretty specific that he was involved in something."

Canadian intelligence officials said they had long been monitoring Mr. Khadr's family, which lived in the Toronto suburb of Scarborough until last year. Now they would like to interrogate him or get access to information he may have about terrorist activities in Canada.

"We would be interested in any information he has," a Canadian security official said.

Mr. Khadr's father, who arrived in Canada in 1977, worked for Islamic charitable causes that funneled money to Afghan forces fighting the Soviet Union in the 1980's, intelligence officials said. In 1992 in Afghanistan, the father sustained shrapnel wounds that he claimed were suffered while doing relief work. He returned to Canada for medical treatment.

The father, now 54, was arrested in 1995 in Pakistan on suspicion of involvement in the bombing of the Egyptian Embassy, an attack attributed to Al Jihad, an Egyptian chapter of Al Qaeda, that killed 17 people. Forty thousand dollars in cash was found in his house.

A month later Prime Minister Jean Chrétien, while on a state visit, asked Pakistan's prime minister at the time, Benazir Bhutto, to see that Mr. Khadr receive just treatment as a Canadian citizen. Mr. Khadr was released shortly afterward and returned to Toronto.

The American capture of Omar Khadr and press reports of his family's activities have led opposition leaders to question whether Canada's immigration policies, which have promoted the settlement of foreigners in the country to spur population growth, are sufficiently secure.

Stephen Harper, leader of the center-right Canadian Alliance party in Parliament, said the reports had underscored his concerns about "Canada being a platform for activities that are dangerous to the Western alliance."

More than 20 Canadians have been either arrested or sought by international law enforcement for involvement in Al Qaeda in the last several years. They had lived in Montreal and around Toronto and Vancouver, cities with large immigrant populations. Many operated internationally as well.

Mohamed Mansour Jabarah, 20, from a town southwest of Toronto, was recently arrested in Oman and accused of involvement in a foiled plot to bomb the American and Israeli Embassies in Singapore. Canadian officials handed him over to United States authorities. Amine Mezbar, an Algerian-born resident of Montreal, was arrested in June on charges that he played a part in a plot to bomb the American Embassy in Paris.

Canada has responded to the Sept. 11 attacks by reinforcing security at border points, investigating applicants for political refugee status and stiffening security in the processing of passports. New antiterrorism legislation has given law enforcement agencies greater latitude to use wiretaps, seize suspects and confiscate assets in terrorism investigations.
0 likes   

streetsoldier
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#9 Postby streetsoldier » Sat Feb 15, 2003 4:40 pm

JQ, I am under the impression that you believe, if you spoke your family's language within my hearing, I would be unable to distinguish it from the various Islamic national/cultural/tribal dialects...you, sir, would be mildly surprised.

There is more to me than may seem to appear on these pages.
0 likes   

Rainband

#10 Postby Rainband » Sat Feb 15, 2003 5:55 pm

JQ, yes it is sad that people are judged by what their nationality is but this is in part because of September 11th. I believe all americans wether they admit it or not are some what predjudicial to some extent and I feel this is a normal reaction to what has happened. I also feel that there are many fine people in this country that we have no need to worry about. On the other hand there are many sleepers and as I mentioned some of the hijackers lived among us for years. So while it is difficult to understand the anger and hatred some people feel, it is also difficult for me to trust everyone as I once did. I guess we live in different times and this is part of the consequences of them. I will tell you ,if I meet someone I give them the benifit of the doubt and in no way do I hate all non americans or people who look like they are Middle eastern...But the peace and harmony of my life was forever changed on September 11th 2001 and thats not my fault it's the fault of the cowards who terrorized this nation and it's people. It is unfortunate that we have to live our lives this way but it wasn't our choice....
0 likes   

JQ Public
Category 5
Category 5

#11 Postby JQ Public » Sat Feb 15, 2003 6:03 pm

That's kinda what i thought. But just the way you didn't give the pakistani's the benefit of the doubt made me a little suspect. Actually i know that you do not like to stereotype being that you are technically the minority in your apt complex. You just dissappointed me for a second...
0 likes   

JQ Public
Category 5
Category 5

#12 Postby JQ Public » Sat Feb 15, 2003 6:12 pm

Rainband...Its just so hard to lump people together b/c people from that look like they are from the middle east can also resemble people from india to greece and even latin america. You just have to understand that in a sense America is repeating history by once again finding another group of people to call subhuman/evil. Back in the day it was the blacks...a little more recently the irish immigrants were the people that people were scared of...or the japanese immigrants that we put in concentration camps because we feared them. You have got to understand that it is more likely you will be killed by lighting then by a middle east terrorist. If you were in the middle east it is more likely you would be killed in a car accident than by a suicide bomber. You fear what you don't understand...and it seems like you don't understand why the vast majority of people came here.
0 likes   

streetsoldier
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#13 Postby streetsoldier » Sat Feb 15, 2003 6:17 pm

OK, let me disabuse you of certain possibilities....

I'm conservative/libertarian (highly individualistic, distrustful of concentrated power), descended from Danish, Irish, German, Norman-French, and Sephardic Jewish ancestors; we are the only Caucasian family living in our entire apartment complex, and I have a stepdaughter who is married to a wonderful man and has two beautiful daughters and a handsome son...the fact that this man is black doesn't bother me in the least, or that my "grandbabies" are "mixed".

Add that I'm 100% disabled (a Princeton "endowed chair" professor called people such as myself "useless eaters", and advocates involuntary euthanasia for anyone who cannot "substantially contribute")...

Yet there are those who would kill me outright for any or all of the "reasons" outlined above.

Does that answer any questions for you?
0 likes   

JQ Public
Category 5
Category 5

#14 Postby JQ Public » Sat Feb 15, 2003 6:29 pm

I told ya i didn't think you were stereotypical. Even if you were trying to be funny...its just perpetuates bad things...lets wait and see if the pakistani's did anything or even had anything against them. Most likely if they were innocent it wouldn't even be a blip on the news channels...just a passing remark. What about those marines that gathered information in order to blow up camp lejeune? Not one thing said about them anymore. If they were in turbans or olive skinned i assure you it would be front page news.

I have no problem with anything about you. I'd be the first to go after someone that would try and kill you. I just didn't want anyone to go overboard with the brown people bashing thats why i made that initial remark. I know you didn't mean anything racial by it.
0 likes   

streetsoldier
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#15 Postby streetsoldier » Sat Feb 15, 2003 6:55 pm

JQ, I believe it is worth notice that the two best physicians I've seen over the last 22 years were a Sikh and a Pashtun Pakistani.

It isn't the PEOPLE, JQ, it's the dictators or "caliph"-wannabes that cause me to wax eloquent. These are deserving of the world's wrath, not the nations who groan in suffering, rape-as-policy and mass murder under their dubious authority.
0 likes   

JQ Public
Category 5
Category 5

#16 Postby JQ Public » Sat Feb 15, 2003 7:07 pm

Agreed. So i'm sure you know that the vast majority of turban wearing people in America...like the cab drivers in NYC are Sikh and not Muslim like most people think. Right after sept 11th a sikh man was killed in arizona b/c people didn't know better. Glad to see you know so many different kinds of people. Variety is the spice or life or smthg like that hhe! I have quicktime video about a young sikh man in America. Its pretty thought provoking. If i can find it i'll give you the link...

Sigh i can't find it. When my friend gets back to school i'll show it to ya. But here is another video. http://www.sikh.net/community/DSAm.htm
0 likes   

Rainband

the sadness in my eyes.........

#17 Postby Rainband » Sat Feb 15, 2003 7:38 pm

This may help you to understand...............
Growing up as a boy, I was aware of anger, hatred and terror. My parents did their best to shield me from this but I knew from the news and TV shows it was there. I never let it get the best of me until September 11th, 2001; now I have sadness in my eyes. I have a permenant reminder burned into my memory of those planes hitting the WTC and the Pentagon. After the tragic events of 9/11 I am a changed individual and I have sadness in my eyes. I walk down the street now and look over my shoulder and wonder if they are among us still. I lost the trust and tranquilty of being an American and wondered if Id ever get it back now I know I never will. I have sadness in my eyes...I lost of piece of myself that tragic day and believe we all did too in some strange way. We once were a country filled with all different breeds supporting and sheltering thats what america means. But now it's so different so strange and so cruel so much doubt distrust and hatred have split us in two. The ones that look like they might be, they could be ,they are. The meaning of freedom has been stretched so far. While we once trusted our neighbor and supported our friends we are split in many directions and there seems to be no end. Now I walk down the street but the tears don't roll down my face they are tucked down deep inside me in this mysterious place. This place that I speak of was not always there but it was born that day out of anger, hatred and fear..we all lost something that day though it may not be clear..we lost the ability to trust and now live in fear. So if you think I don't trust you it's sad but it may be true. I lost something that tragic day and you did too. We lost lost a piece of ourselves will we ever get it back ; each night I pray, Ipray, we will

By John Robert Bieckmann Feb 15, 2003
0 likes   

Rob-TheStormChaser

#18 Postby Rob-TheStormChaser » Sat Feb 15, 2003 7:44 pm

I echo that on a daily basis myself! Nicely written by that person.
0 likes   

streetsoldier
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#19 Postby streetsoldier » Sat Feb 15, 2003 7:57 pm

I agree (but I was prepared for this possibility over 17 years ago); the sad fact is, we have to "play the hand we've been dealt", for good or ill.
0 likes   

JQ Public
Category 5
Category 5

#20 Postby JQ Public » Sat Feb 15, 2003 8:02 pm

Sad indeed...
0 likes   

Return to “Off Topic”