FBI, CIA believe mass-casualty al Qaeda strike more likely

Chat about anything and everything... (well almost anything) Whether it be the front porch or the pot belly stove or news of interest or a topic of your liking, this is the place to post it.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

southerngale
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

FBI, CIA believe mass-casualty al Qaeda strike more likely

#1 Postby southerngale » Tue Feb 11, 2003 5:03 am

Al Qaeda's latest threat of terrorist attacks is focused on operations in three areas: the continental United States, the Persian Gulf region or Southeast Asia, according to intelligence officials.
Intelligence from both the FBI and CIA indicates that al Qaeda is preparing to conduct a major attack that will cause mass casualties, like the September 11 attacks, according to officials.
The CIA is worried that the new attack will be al Qaeda's first attempt to carry out a terror strike using deadly chemical, biological or radiological weapons, said officials who spoke on the condition of anonymity.

There's more to this story...I just posted the first few paragraphs. Here's the link:

http://www.washtimes.com/national/20030211-704598.htm

Yikes! :o

I'm getting really mad sitting here thinking about September 11th. Those freaking cowards!!
0 likes   
Please support Storm2k by making a donation today. It is greatly appreciated! Click here: Image

Image my Cowboys Image my RocketsImage my Astros

streetsoldier
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#2 Postby streetsoldier » Tue Feb 11, 2003 9:00 am

OH, yes...The Fox and Friends were discusssing this at length this morning...

Subways, theaters, hotels, synagogues...the list is seemingly endless, and you know and I know we can't cover all the bases.
0 likes   

wx247
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3 Postby wx247 » Tue Feb 11, 2003 9:18 am

:o :o :o

Yeesh!

Garrett :multi:
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Rob-TheStormChaser

#4 Postby Rob-TheStormChaser » Tue Feb 11, 2003 9:29 am

I'm glad I live in the country....and besides...they have to GET here 1st! We're not making mistakes like in the past.
0 likes   

wx247
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5 Postby wx247 » Tue Feb 11, 2003 11:25 am

Here is some new info. from MSNBC.com:

In the most specific warning to date, CIA Director George Tenet testified Tuesday that intelligence indicates the al-Qaida terror network is plotting new attacks in the United States and on the Arabian Peninsula, possibly including the “use of a radiological dispersion device as well as poisons and chemicals.”
ADDING NEW DETAILS on the reason the Bush administration last week raised the terror assessment threat level to “orange,” or high risk,” Tenet told the Senate Intelligence Committee that the information gathered by his agency suggests the plots are close to fruition. He said they are believed to be timed to coincide with the Hajj — the annual Muslim pilgrimage to Mecca in Saudi Arabia, Islam’s holiest site, which began Saturday and concludes at the end of the week.
“The intelligence is not idle chatter on the part of terrorists and their associates,” Tenet said. “It is the most specific we have seen, and it is consistent with both our knowledge of al-Qaida doctrine and our knowledge of plots this network and particularly its senior leadership has been working on for years.”

Garrett :band:
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

mf_dolphin
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby mf_dolphin » Tue Feb 11, 2003 12:02 pm

The sad truth is that a small, highly motivated, and well trained group is almost impossible to stop. Our own US Special Forces teams such as the Green Beret, Navy Seals, Rangers and Delta Force have used tat to their advantage for decades. The key is to destroy the infrasturcture that supports these groups. That means not only the leadership but also the money stream and the countries that support them. I'm afraid that we are in for a long strruggle.
0 likes   

streetsoldier
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#7 Postby streetsoldier » Tue Feb 11, 2003 12:46 pm

I don't know how many of you lend credence to al this, but I do recall watching a 1994 Discovery Channel program on "Nostradamus" hosted by the late Orson Welles; Nostradamus was "off" by two years (prediction was for 1999), but he did state that this Islamic "potentate" would attack us by air, and the war "Resultan" (LOL) from this would last (...drumroll...) 27 years, but the West would emerge victorious.
0 likes   

Rob-TheStormChaser

#8 Postby Rob-TheStormChaser » Tue Feb 11, 2003 12:54 pm

Problem is with all of that Nostradamus stuff is if you read what someone perceives to write for the masses to be his/her beliefs, then sooner or later, someone or something comes along and has to try to go out of their way to make it come true. While Nostrdamus has come close on his notions and possibilities, he is nothing more than a proverbial ancient psychic, and at best a little loony for what he believes as true. I'll take my chances with a fortune cookie and play the lottery numbers found inside...anyday! lol :roll: :wink:
0 likes   

southerngale
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#9 Postby southerngale » Tue Feb 11, 2003 2:29 pm

Yes, we are in for a long struggle. This war on terror is going to take a long time.

At various times since 9/11, it's as if we were waiting for the other shoe to drop, but it didn't. Of course we have stopped several plans, including that freaky shoe bomber. But my point is that Al-qaeda usually likes to wait at least a year between spectacular attacks. I guess that gives them the time and resources they need to pull it off. Let's pray we somehow thwart these.
0 likes   
Please support Storm2k by making a donation today. It is greatly appreciated! Click here: Image

Image my Cowboys Image my RocketsImage my Astros

Rob-TheStormChaser

#10 Postby Rob-TheStormChaser » Tue Feb 11, 2003 2:32 pm

Well IMO we needed a valid reason to be on our guard to begin with. This country we live in is very lax. Think about it...it took all the way until 9/11 for people to really think twice all of their things they let fall through the cracks and taken for granted. While it is sad that we had to lose 3000 people, it was a wake up call for sure.
0 likes   

streetsoldier
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#11 Postby streetsoldier » Tue Feb 11, 2003 3:39 pm

It's not the regimes, boys and girls...it's the IDEOLOGY that drives them that has to be confronted, and ultimately crushed.

Islam as a whole, no; "Wahhabi" Islam, yes. And I can see this taking 27 years to clean house...remember, bin Laden (?) just called us "Crusaders" three or four times in that Al Jazeera audiotape. HE (?) has no illusions about it..it's ideologiocal. We, on the other hand, have to play the game afoot by his (?) "rules" if we're ever going to achieve any semblance of peace and stability in the "10-40 window".
0 likes   

Rob-TheStormChaser

#12 Postby Rob-TheStormChaser » Tue Feb 11, 2003 3:49 pm

lol..I would think in 40 years I'd be too old for this $#!+! :wink:
0 likes   

streetsoldier
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#13 Postby streetsoldier » Tue Feb 11, 2003 3:59 pm

A sobering thought; in 3 1/2 years, Coppertop will be 18...and somewhere there's a Muslim, trained to hate since birth, that Coppertop may have to deal with "up close and personal"...

&%@#, indeed.
0 likes   

Return to “Off Topic”