DISASTER SUPPLY KIT

Chat about anything and everything... (well almost anything) Whether it be the front porch or the pot belly stove or news of interest or a topic of your liking, this is the place to post it.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Rainband

DISASTER SUPPLY KIT

#1 Postby Rainband » Sat Feb 08, 2003 7:39 pm

On our news, they said to have a disater supply kit ready. The kit should be just like the one you would have during a hurricane. Also have a plan in place where you would meet your family and one alternate. The kit should have water, non-perishable food, medicine and money. HMMMMMMMMMM :o . what do they know, that we dont want to :?: :roll:
0 likes   

ColdFront77

#2 Postby ColdFront77 » Sat Feb 08, 2003 7:56 pm

I heard this on the news as well. Generally we do not have disaster supply kits ready until a few days before an event, such as a hurricane or winter storm.
0 likes   

Rainband

#3 Postby Rainband » Sat Feb 08, 2003 7:58 pm

English Translation= WE ARE SCREWED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :roll:
0 likes   

streetsoldier
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#4 Postby streetsoldier » Sat Feb 08, 2003 8:03 pm

Add movable tents (arctic-rated), spare clothing/bedding, luminous light-sticks, enough water for 2 gallons per person per day, food for three squares per person (MREs are great for this, packed in bulk boxes of 12 meals each), all for at least 3 weeks....portable Esbit cookers/trioxane fuel tabs, signalling devices (mirrors, strobes), emergency pea-less whistles, and...at least one good firearm/ammunition per adult (to "dismay" potential looters/deranged people after-the-fact).

The idea is to SURVIVE, alone/with family, for three weeks at the outside, ladies and gentlemen...

Things we FEMA-types know.....and you SHOULD. :larrow:
0 likes   

Amanzi
Category 5
Category 5

#5 Postby Amanzi » Sat Feb 08, 2003 8:18 pm

:o :o :o :o Oh dear, these are not the kinds of things we like to hear.

I know this is off topic, but my husband was driving down Flagler beach on the A1A and stopped to watch some whales (the fish kind not the woman kind...lol) He said it was amazing because right in front of him out popped a huge submarine pretty close inshore :o It is good to know the men and woman of this country are well equiped and dedicated to serve! All we can do as citizens is be vigilant, listen to instructions and heed warnings and of course most important....PRAY like there is no tomorrow.
0 likes   

Skywatch_NC
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby Skywatch_NC » Sat Feb 08, 2003 9:41 pm

A question...why is a pea-less whistle better than a peaed one?
I received a peaed one for a gift for Christmas.

Eric
0 likes   

southerngale
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#7 Postby southerngale » Sat Feb 08, 2003 9:47 pm

streetsoldier

I need to add another room onto my house to keep a kit ready with everything you mentioned! Plus, of course, there are many things you didn't mention that I know we would need!
0 likes   
Please support Storm2k by making a donation today. It is greatly appreciated! Click here: Image

Image my Cowboys Image my RocketsImage my Astros

streetsoldier
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#8 Postby streetsoldier » Sat Feb 08, 2003 10:19 pm

southerngale,

The items I mentioned are the very LEAST a family should have; an additional tent (family-size) can be kept for storage of food/water. NBC suits/masks are also good to have, personal kinves (Swiss/US mil-spec or other good folders). I keep "hobos" (folding knife-fork-spoon combos), stainless steel for each of us, and a set of trip-wire with "green-sticks" serve as access-control warnings. Luminous sticks can also be used for marking LZ for helicopter SAR groups/National Guard traveling over you, to let them know there is life below.

Radios for wx and FEMA/or a complete HF/VHF/UHF mobile setup with gas generator may prove invaluable; a pickup truck, large SUV or two standard vehicles would be needed to transport all this material to a pre-designated locale.

I am operating on the idea that buildings will be either destroyed or unsafe, so taking to the countryside should be an option.

Eric, "pealess" whistles, like the Fox 40, can be heard over crowds, underwater, or other heavy "db" situations, unlike the average pea whistle.

There is so much more, but I suppose each person/family should make those decisions...what I've offered herein is but a sampling.
0 likes   

southerngale
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#9 Postby southerngale » Sun Feb 09, 2003 6:02 am

streetsoldier,

Do you keep all of your stuff together in one place, like one humongous kit or do you just have all of that stuff in case you need it?

When Lili was a cat.5 hurricane last year heading toward us and we had to evacuate, I found out how LONG it took me to get everything ready. Of course I did have time so I was taking pictures, etc. being cautious in case my house got wiped out. Of course she ended up hitting Louisiana after weakening some so my house was fine. Anyway, I don't have anything prepared like what you are mentioning and I don't know anyone who does. During these uncertain times though, I guess we all need to get a disaster kit ready....just in case. (with a list of the things to quickly add that can't be easily stored in it)

It's a little freaky to think about needing it... :o
0 likes   
Please support Storm2k by making a donation today. It is greatly appreciated! Click here: Image

Image my Cowboys Image my RocketsImage my Astros

Rob-TheStormChaser

#10 Postby Rob-TheStormChaser » Sun Feb 09, 2003 6:31 am

lol wow...I'm glad that we have most of that 'stuff' in use already here...a simple grab and I'm out the door! Of course when you're dealing with an ex-vet...you'll have this! :wink: I have about 10 first aid kits...I dont think even if I combine them I'll get close to what Bill needs for survival! I have plenty of MRE's though....circa 1988.
0 likes   

raine
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#11 Postby raine » Sun Feb 09, 2003 11:06 am

Cap'n midnight, I've heeded some of the advice you posted about what to pack, I've been perusing the RedCross and DHS websites as well.I still have not found what I am looking for.....I should have asked you first!

My question is this.....I have heard that when you are storing water in reusable containers, IE empty plastic gallon milk jugs ect,that you should add clorox or some form of santizer.Is that true and if so how much per gallon should be added?

Where can I get those light sticks you talked about and where can I find a battery operated radio?I've looked at Kmart and have not been able to find one, maybe I'm not looking in the right spot.

Thanks fella,
Raine
0 likes   

streetsoldier
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#12 Postby streetsoldier » Sun Feb 09, 2003 1:44 pm

Raine,

Cyalume light-sticks can be had from Brigade Quartermasters (http://www.actiongear.com), U.S. Cavalry (http://www.uscav.com) , Sportsman's Guide (http://www.sportsmansguide.com) or some other places. They also have the MREs, tents, first-aid kits, survival pocketbooks (SAS is good) and Sportsman's Guide, at least, should have battery-op radios.

"actiongear" and "uscav" also have water-purification filters, tablets, Camel-Bak bladders, 5-gal. bladders for storage, etc. If you employ the filters and tablets, Clorox won't be necessary; in fact, they are made so that troops in the field can use whatever water is around for drinking, and they remove 99.8% of possible bio-chem contaminants (E. coli, mercury, oxides, etc.)

Also, if you have the bladders, you should rotate them (pour out/refill) at one-month intervals, and stagger the filling schedule to minimize water use.

I have ample storage space here to keep all this stuff until necessary... :wink:
Last edited by streetsoldier on Sun Feb 09, 2003 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

Rob-TheStormChaser

#13 Postby Rob-TheStormChaser » Sun Feb 09, 2003 1:48 pm

I love them Army-Navy outlets here.....so much surplus and supplies and decently priced!
0 likes   

streetsoldier
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#14 Postby streetsoldier » Sun Feb 09, 2003 2:26 pm

We used to have some very good surplus stores around here, too...until Waco and Ruby Ridge, which garnered so much negative publicity that they eventually closed shop. (Thanks again, Slick Willie and "The Wicked Witch of the West Wing") :x

Since then, it's been either mail-order, E-order or an occasional find at one of the floating "flea markets" (one that only opens on weekends here is frequented by the man from whom I got that knife, and he has access to every possible brand at a HUGE discount...feel like a kid in a toy store!) :wink:

BTW, 1988???? Your MREs are outdated, sir...you need to replace them (5 year max on those). You may wish to recheck your first-aid kits, too, esp. those which have atropine injection kits; a set of EMT "blunt-tip" shears is always good to include, too. And don't forget the Ranger/SAS "meatball" surgery booklets..read, retain and be ready to "do it".

And to all interested, don't skimp on the outerwear..get goose-down and Gore-Tex outerwear, and mil-spec polypro underwear in addition to the regular clothing.
Last edited by streetsoldier on Sun Feb 09, 2003 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

Rob-TheStormChaser

#15 Postby Rob-TheStormChaser » Sun Feb 09, 2003 2:33 pm

lol yeah but those MRE's last a lifetime compared to those older C rats and even a coupla T rats I still have here. We used to get hooked up with the mess hall and whenever we had to jump sites and move, they'd throw huge amounts of food in our laps...pretty darn good food when you're hungry!
0 likes   

HeartofNC
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#16 Postby HeartofNC » Sun Feb 09, 2003 3:44 pm

I got 5 radios from Roses department store for $10 each, they run on 4 AA batteries. they're ugly but they work. They don't even HAVE a cord to plug in!

Alright now, how do I explain to my husband that we need to get these things together,. He thinks I'm batty when it comes to storms, let alone something that might not happen. We've got canned food, water, kerosene heaters, a tent, one or two sleeping bags and those light sticks, (got em for .49 at Winn Dixie - Halloween surplus ;) )- no first aid kit to speak of, or anything else in your lists. Also, since I'm out of work budget is Low! Any great ideas on what I should do. ??

HeartofNC
0 likes   

M2

#17 Postby M2 » Sun Feb 09, 2003 3:45 pm

Streetsoldier is correct and we've had some good detailed discussions of this in the past. Actually many of the items you'd need can be picked up in your local stores: Target, Popular Outdoors, REI - any hiking/camping/outdoors stores will carry most of this stuff. If you have a specific list, it's pretty easy to find and of course there is the mailorder or online sites.

Here is the FEMA site which contains the whole list of what's needed, what to do, what types of plans are needed, etc. Use this as a checklist for your shopping: http://www.fema.gov/areyouready/

The main FEMA website also provides the lastest info on Homeland Security and local preparedness: http://www.fema.gov/

Really the first link contains good detail and explanations, so check it out. Hope this helps.

M2 :Fade-color
0 likes   

Rob-TheStormChaser

#18 Postby Rob-TheStormChaser » Sun Feb 09, 2003 3:50 pm

Wal-Mart has plenty as well...lol

Not to mention...I have a hand crank radio, as well as a 'charger' for most things like cell phones and anything else that you can wind up and it'll run.....never needs batteries!
0 likes   

M2

#19 Postby M2 » Sun Feb 09, 2003 4:05 pm

Howdy Rob - you know Radio Shack carries alot of goodies that are reasonably priced including those hand-crank radios. I bought one for someone a few months ago and they are both solar powered & hand-cranked for those non-light situations. Sure, WalMart will carry basic stuff too. The big club stores like Costco & Sam's Club are other good resources to get bulk stuff cheap. Just remember to buy what you normally consume; don't get a bunch of stuff that you've never eaten before or haven't tried. Alot of people who 'stocked up' for Y2K were not happy when they tasted some of that stuff sold mailorder. The big things to remember are lots of ducktape & plastic tarps plus water. If FEMA says to seal off a room in your house (they do in one of their writeups), you'll need a few of these things around your house.

M2
0 likes   

Rob-TheStormChaser

#20 Postby Rob-TheStormChaser » Sun Feb 09, 2003 4:10 pm

lol I remember Y2K like it was yesterday! All the hype like the end of the world was near! I've had about 5 power outages here due to ice and wind/snow storms up on the hilltops of this lakefront. The only thinge we'd really need is a crank/gas generator made by Honda. I pretty much have plenty of army surplus on my own since I served 8 years....even a frag vest and full gear, kevlar, NBC suits and lots of food, lighting and gear for a long stay and survival for more than one person...if need be. Never can be too cautious, but I saved as I went along...a little here and there. It all goes great in conjunction with camping...especially the firestarters and burners too.
0 likes   

Return to “Off Topic”