How much are the gas prices in your area?

Chat about anything and everything... (well almost anything) Whether it be the front porch or the pot belly stove or news of interest or a topic of your liking, this is the place to post it.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

CajunMama
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#41 Postby CajunMama » Mon Feb 17, 2003 12:08 am

Premium unleaded here is $1.80/gallon. Included in that price is a .35 tax. Unfortunately, I have to use that in my Mitsu Eclipse Spyder. I fill up once a week. On another note, oil companies can make a profit at $20/barrel and they are still complaining they aren't making a decent profit. I do know they pay many of their employees very nice salaries, give them company cars, company credit cards, expense accounts, cell phones and other perks.
0 likes   

wannabehippie

#42 Postby wannabehippie » Mon Feb 17, 2003 1:24 pm

gas prices by me
regular unleaded $1.75
unleaded plus $1.81
Super $1.90

my parents had been paying $1.74/gal for heating oil. the saw an ad from a rival company offering 5 year free service and oil price locked in for this year at $0.99/gal. they called the current company up and got their price lowered to $1.39/gallon. i highly doubt that the oil company would sell us the oil at that price if they werent making a profit. so i feel the oil/gas companies are gouging and taking advantage of the tensions in the gulf and venezuala. an investigation needs to be done and correct this matter. if it isnt the price gouging by the exxon-mobiles, texacochevrons, bpamacos of the world will kill any hope of the economy recovering this year.

those companies will show record profits, which will result in record bonuses for the CEOs while their workers are laid off and the economy goes back into a tailspin as a result of their unadulterated greed.

peace

david
0 likes   

Rob-TheStormChaser

#43 Postby Rob-TheStormChaser » Mon Feb 17, 2003 3:28 pm

Supply and demand...makes for real good economics and also someone getting richer.
0 likes   

JQ Public
Category 5
Category 5

#44 Postby JQ Public » Mon Feb 17, 2003 5:29 pm

haven't gotten much higher. 161 here give or take
0 likes   

Rob-TheStormChaser

#45 Postby Rob-TheStormChaser » Mon Feb 17, 2003 5:46 pm

Still low $1.60s here as well...no movement...I think they will be leveled off and no sharp rises anytime soon.....unless of course, we go to war...then prepare for serious gouging. I dont see our prices going up more than a nickel more.
0 likes   

Stormsfury
Category 5
Category 5

#46 Postby Stormsfury » Mon Feb 17, 2003 6:12 pm

They rose another 5 cents to $1.61...I just beat the latest rise in gas prices ... :roll: :roll: :roll:
0 likes   

StormCrazyIowan
Category 5
Category 5

#47 Postby StormCrazyIowan » Mon Feb 17, 2003 6:30 pm

I paid $1.67 today, grrrr!
0 likes   

wannabehippie

#48 Postby wannabehippie » Tue Feb 18, 2003 4:37 pm

snip<Supply and demand...makes for real good economics and also someone getting richer.>

i dont think in this case it is the law of supply and demand. it is the law of corporate greed. gouge the customers as long as possible and line the pockets of the top executives with the profits.

the reason why i belive it is a case of gouging and not supply and demand is the simple fact that my oil company was charging $1.74/gal for home heating oil. but once we complained that other companies were charging FAR less they lowered our price to $1.39/gallon. A price difference of 35 cents per gallon. which add up on a 200-300 gallon delivery.
I highly doubt they are losing money selling us the oil at $1.39/gallon. when all expenses are added in they are still making a profit.
Therefore charging $1.74/gallon is price gouging plain and simple.

peace
david
0 likes   

JQ Public
Category 5
Category 5

#49 Postby JQ Public » Tue Feb 18, 2003 4:42 pm

0 likes   

Rob-TheStormChaser

#50 Postby Rob-TheStormChaser » Tue Feb 18, 2003 4:43 pm

$1.74 isnt really gouging since we all are paying about those prices nationwide. I'd say gouging is where you take a small independent company and they raise the price to $3 or $5 like they did a few years ago....now thats gouging. People will just have to suck it up and pay for it until things settle down in the world.....we could be paying alot more that what we pay now.
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#51 Postby cycloneye » Tue Feb 18, 2003 4:51 pm

Today the oil market closed at $37.05 a barrel a 3 year high so expect the gas prices to rise much more thanks to the war jitters.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Return to “Off Topic”