DISASTER SUPPLY KIT

Chat about anything and everything... (well almost anything) Whether it be the front porch or the pot belly stove or news of interest or a topic of your liking, this is the place to post it.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

black opal
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#41 Postby black opal » Thu Feb 13, 2003 5:19 pm

We talked some about nuclear war in the TWC,ot. I will say it here also. If Chemicals are used, Im sorry to tell you but, we are screwed There are chemicals that even the chemical suits & gas masks that are not any good against, like blister agents. I would like to know what duct tape & plastic sheeting is suppose to do? I have a good friend that teaches chemical warfare to military units all over, and he has been very busy lately. I think I will ask him if he is going to buy these things? Im almost embarresed to ask, I know he will laugh at me. And Im getting my own computer soon :multi:
0 likes   

Rob-TheStormChaser

#42 Postby Rob-TheStormChaser » Thu Feb 13, 2003 5:23 pm

They found out that so many women are buying the plastic and duct tape, the men buy it to lower heating costs, such as I have done in the past. I have some leftover injectors in case we get gassed and even while I was in the deserts of Iraq, we never saw anything close to all this gas talk and agents. I'm not worried, and again...I'll have to actually SEE it to believe it.
0 likes   

black opal
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#43 Postby black opal » Thu Feb 13, 2003 5:28 pm

Rob was it you that was in Saudi & had to wear the gas mask & chemical suit? Somebody & I were trying to explain to lidaloo why we did not want to go to war. Those suits a pure he## to wear. I might buy the water but I do anyway. If we get gassed plasic sheeting is not going to do you anygood
0 likes   

wx247
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#44 Postby wx247 » Thu Feb 13, 2003 5:30 pm

You all make some great points and very logical ones as well. I have 100% faith in my government if the terrorists are gung ho on a terror attack chances are they can pull it off. Why? Because our people can't be everywhere at every time.

With that said...I think that a conventional type of attack...suicide bombings, etc. are a much greater threat to us right now than a chemical, biological, or radiological attack. I am not discounting those methods by any means, however.

My view is that it is prudent to be prepared and to be concerned, but not to go a-wall and go overboard. A lot of the stuff the govt. is recommending is not going to be needed for most of us.

Just MHO.

Garrett :band: <----- ROCK ON!
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Rob-TheStormChaser

#45 Postby Rob-TheStormChaser » Thu Feb 13, 2003 5:34 pm

black opal wrote:Rob was it you that was in Saudi & had to wear the gas mask & chemical suit? Somebody & I were trying to explain to lidaloo why we did not want to go to war. Those suits a pure he## to wear. I might buy the water but I do anyway. If we get gassed plasic sheeting is not going to do you anygood

Yep...twas me. I wore my chemical suit almost the whole time there...got to the point where I looked like the Michelin man in MOPP 2!!! lol I kept mine on quite often to keep warm on the colder nights over there, but in the days and weeks as we stayed there...it got into the low 100s and you do NOT want that sucker on anymore!
0 likes   

Rainband

#46 Postby Rainband » Thu Feb 13, 2003 5:34 pm

To be honest after thinking about it, I think it's all hype by the media and I live in a small town so I am not really concerned. I think they (our goverment) wants to prepare people and the media exaggerates to get ratings. Don't get me wrong I think there is a risk of an attack but I don't think every state in the union will be bombed or gased. I think it will be isolated. The biggest chances of attack are in NY and DC IMHO. :roll:
0 likes   

black opal
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#47 Postby black opal » Thu Feb 13, 2003 5:37 pm

[quote="wx247"]You all make some great points and very logical ones as well. I have 100% faith in my government if the terrorists are gung ho on a terror attack chances are they can pull it off. Why? Because our people can't be everywhere at every time.

You were never in the military were you? I never would trust that they gave me the right filters for the gas mask or enough of them. They are not good if they got wet or stayed in to long. I didnt even trust them with any paperwork. It is well known always make copies. Shoot I do not trust them to handle anything. If they were trustworthy they would of handled this situattion in the 90's:D
0 likes   

Rainband

#48 Postby Rainband » Thu Feb 13, 2003 5:43 pm

:roll: Just for the record it wasn't the United States that failed to handle this in the 90's :o it was the UN..... :wink:
0 likes   

Rob-TheStormChaser

#49 Postby Rob-TheStormChaser » Thu Feb 13, 2003 5:44 pm

Well....this war is so much different than the one 12 years ago...almost to the day. We have no real ground war forseen even if we needed to intercept their Republican Guard, they are not dug in waiting for us like last time. I think a good air war with us dropping bombs on their targets will do it and we can do it from a safe enough distance so we're not even harmed. We have more technology for the soldiers now and they have more training, so they'll win...I have no reason to doubt otherwise...but at what cost? Will we lose some? will they use the gas? Will other facets of Al Qaeda attack us here? Will other countries aid us in beating these idiots into suppression? We'll see. Frankly, if I was still in uniform, I'd be a helluva lot more confident this time around as last time....the 1991 one we didnt know our way around...now we do.
0 likes   

black opal
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#50 Postby black opal » Thu Feb 13, 2003 5:47 pm

I stand corrected, My bad. We always do what the UN says :?
0 likes   

HeartofNC
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#51 Postby HeartofNC » Thu Feb 13, 2003 5:49 pm

[
quote="black opal"]We talked some about nuclear war in the TWC,ot. I will say it here also. If Chemicals are used, Im sorry to tell you but, we are screwed There are chemicals that even the chemical suits & gas masks that are not any good against, like blister agents. I would like to know what duct tape & plastic sheeting is suppose to do?

Yup, the FEMA folks think we'll feel better if we've got some 6mil plastic covering our windows and doors - if they use the chemical weapons we know about, plastic isn't gonna do much but preserve the bodies for the people cleaning up....

If you believe that an attack is emminent, make sure you're on the right side with God and soon, because if you're not sure you are, you most likely aren't. This I can help ya with. :wink:
0 likes   

black opal
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#52 Postby black opal » Thu Feb 13, 2003 5:52 pm

Yup, the FEMA folks think we'll feel better if we've got some 6mil plastic covering our windows and doors - if they use the chemical weapons we know about, plastic isn't gonna do much but preserve the bodies for the people cleaning up....

If you believe that an attack is emminent, make sure you're on the right side with God and soon, because if you're not sure you are, you most likely aren't. This I can help ya with. :wink:[/quote]

Thank you
0 likes   

Rainband

#53 Postby Rainband » Thu Feb 13, 2003 5:54 pm

Last time we were a coalition, not just the United States and Britain. So when the threat to Kuwait was over we pulled out. :o Unfortunately 20/20 is hindsite :roll: and we should have done it then but then we were out voted :roll: . I hope you don't think I am being rude I just think the military needs are the faith they can get. No military is perfect but ours is sure close :wink: :P
Last edited by Rainband on Thu Feb 13, 2003 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

Rob-TheStormChaser

#54 Postby Rob-TheStormChaser » Thu Feb 13, 2003 5:55 pm

I was at Wal-Mart earlier today and laughed at all the mostly women buying rolls of tarp and plastic....sheesh...you'd think they were ordering a hit on Gotti...but he aint around anymore...so it must be this gas talk....IMO thats just what it is....hot air!
0 likes   

black opal
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#55 Postby black opal » Thu Feb 13, 2003 6:01 pm

No I do not think your being rude at all. I really miss being in sometimes. I was in for 18yrs. Got out as a staff sgt. Im alittle sarcastic about the military because I was in so long and I can be called back in since Im a nurse. I would go in a heartbeat, Don my uniform & go. but I know things that are scarry about the military and the thought of a chemical war is one that I do not have complete faith that the military could handle it.
0 likes   

Rainband

#56 Postby Rainband » Thu Feb 13, 2003 6:08 pm

Yeah , think chemical warfare is something that any nation no matter how superior in millitary technology would suffer great losses from. :o The problem with chemical warfare is the unpredictability of the weapons because of wind direction and other conditions. Biological still gives me the heeby geebies because they can mutate all kinds of different strains of stuff together. That would make it very hard to come up with an antidote. I just hope it doesn't come to that. BTW thanks for serving for my freedom..Black Opal :wink:
0 likes   

Rob-TheStormChaser

#57 Postby Rob-TheStormChaser » Thu Feb 13, 2003 6:18 pm

I dont think I'd be able to fit my desert khakis anymore! lol :roll:
0 likes   

Rainband

#58 Postby Rainband » Thu Feb 13, 2003 6:26 pm

It's the thought that counts Rob!!!!! :wink: Besides you did your time and we need live storm chasing reports lol :wink:
0 likes   

Rob-TheStormChaser

#59 Postby Rob-TheStormChaser » Thu Feb 13, 2003 6:27 pm

lol well there goes my contest totals then...lmao
0 likes   

black opal
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#60 Postby black opal » Thu Feb 13, 2003 6:53 pm

Rob I cant fit into my BDU's either. Yesterday I was at the Vet's office and was suprised to find out I could get called up again. Maybe I need to start working out for the PT test's. I need a profile for being fat & fourty LOL
0 likes   

Return to “Off Topic”