DISASTER SUPPLY KIT

Chat about anything and everything... (well almost anything) Whether it be the front porch or the pot belly stove or news of interest or a topic of your liking, this is the place to post it.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

M2

#21 Postby M2 » Sun Feb 09, 2003 4:16 pm

Hahahaaahahaaa - firestarters and burners - got those for camping also but we can't use them because of the drought! As you say, it's all used elsewhere if one actually is the outdoors/sports type so it won't go to waste. A couple oil lamps w/refills are good... the power does goes out here in the summer with the monsoons, so we already have alot of this stuff. Anyone who lives in a 'storm belt' should have their bugout bags ready and know what that's all about. I would presume you also carry a few things in your car & have some stuff at the office too...? :wink:

M2 :Fade-color
Last edited by M2 on Sun Feb 09, 2003 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

Rob-TheStormChaser

#22 Postby Rob-TheStormChaser » Sun Feb 09, 2003 4:19 pm

I know something that most people wouldnt think about....thats a mosquito net...especially down in the swampy regions where its always wet. I used to sleep out under the stars and hear and feel the critters right above me, but they couldnt nail ya. Definitely something worthy to have either camping or doing nightly things in the deep south.
0 likes   

streetsoldier
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#23 Postby streetsoldier » Sun Feb 09, 2003 5:14 pm

One other website you might want to check out is (http://www.sovietski.com); this site has all the Warsaw Pact/Russian stuff, VERY reasonably priced, and well worth the trip.

Warsaw Pact items are strange to Western eyes; but they made the very best use of limited materials, the stuff is sturdy and easy to maintain.

One item of particular interest to all is a flashlight that uses lead plates and SALT WATER (!) for power, and some hand-held lightweights that use a hand-pumped generator for power (squeeze, and "let there be light"!).

Now, then...some of the info I provided is known to FEMA people ONLY, so do not be too surprised if you don't see it on their "general public info" website...more to the point, it's good to have these items, but far better to PRACTICE and become proficient in their respective uses; what good is a platoon-size first-aid kit or field-surgery set if one doesn't have a clue about its application?

ONE OTHER THING....yes, "gas masks". The German "Drager", Israel IDF or NATO masks can be had (and for NBC, you'll be glad you had one!) relatively cheaply; US mil-spec are pricey, but the Voruzhenny sil Rossye (Russian Armed Forces) masks can be obtained fom the address above and cover the entire head. "Drager" masks are the masks of choice for U.S. fire departments, so that should tell you something...and be sure to get several replacement filters for each.
Last edited by streetsoldier on Sun Feb 09, 2003 5:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 likes   

wx247
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#24 Postby wx247 » Sun Feb 09, 2003 5:15 pm

M2 wrote:Streetsoldier is correct and we've had some good detailed discussions of this in the past. Actually many of the items you'd need can be picked up in your local stores: Target, Popular Outdoors, REI - any hiking/camping/outdoors stores will carry most of this stuff. If you have a specific list, it's pretty easy to find and of course there is the mailorder or online sites.

Here is the FEMA site which contains the whole list of what's needed, what to do, what types of plans are needed, etc. Use this as a checklist for your shopping: http://www.fema.gov/areyouready/

The main FEMA website also provides the lastest info on Homeland Security and local preparedness: http://www.fema.gov/

Really the first link contains good detail and explanations, so check it out. Hope this helps.

Thanks for those links. I am going to head out in a little bit to get some of the stuff. I am really taking this seriously. In the past, I had kind of brushed it off, but think it is better to be on the safe side in this situation.

One question: is syrup of ipecac available at most retailers like Wal-Mart or KMart or do I have to go somewhere like Walgreen's to get it?

Thanks!
Garrett :band:
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

streetsoldier
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#25 Postby streetsoldier » Sun Feb 09, 2003 5:24 pm

PLEASE UNDERSTAND THIS...I'm not attempting to scare the hell out of anyone, but remember...Al Qaida, Iraq, etc, are playing for "keeps" here...they want as many of us dead as they can manage(each dead "infidel" killed by one of these guys, according to their beliefs, will serve him in Paradise).

All I am doing here is giving you the means to "piss them off" by LIVING, OK? :wink:
0 likes   

Rainband

#26 Postby Rainband » Sun Feb 09, 2003 5:27 pm

Better to be safe than sorry. I think it's a good idea :idea: to be prepared for what could happen :wink:
0 likes   

wx247
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#27 Postby wx247 » Sun Feb 09, 2003 5:33 pm

I understand. Plus, this is stuff we could use in the event of a natural disaster as well so it is not all for not.

Garrett :multi:
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Rob-TheStormChaser

#28 Postby Rob-TheStormChaser » Mon Feb 10, 2003 3:51 am

Not to mention...if we dont endure a nuclear winter on our own soil, we could have one helluva camping trip to play some survival/war games on our own! :wink:
0 likes   

M2

#29 Postby M2 » Wed Feb 12, 2003 1:53 am

OK - we talked about preparing on this thread 3 days before the National media picked it up on PAGE 1. This is no joke here. George Tenent from the CIA and FBI Director Robert Mueller raised both alert flags to the press regarding preparing. What specifically did they tell citizens to do: Stock up on water, canned food, batteries/flashlights, portable radios/tvs, duck tape, plastic sheeting to block off windows/doorways/HVAC vents in case of a bio-chem-radiological attack. Do you think they are kidding?
Do not wait. Stores will be emptying out soon. Forget the gas masks, etc. but get the stuff you need to hang out in one place for several days. This is going to take some time, a couple days - so do it now. Keep some extra clothes/cash in a duffel bag, gather your meds & other needed items as if you had to either hunker down or leave due to a hurricane. Same preparation, different rationale. No, streetsoldier is correct - do not panic, just prepare and keep your head & wits about you. You'll feel much more 'in control' of what you can or cannot do. Both FEMA and the Red Cross said on their website that citizens will 'be on their own for the first 72 hours' meaning that we all have to take responsibility for our own safety & well-being and that of our families. Do what it takes to protect and prepare your household. Many people on this board grew up with the 'duck-n-cover' drills: now we must put into practice those drills of days gone by plus adding the lessons of our new technologies and knowledge. Stay safe - be prepared.

PEACE - M2
0 likes   

streetsoldier
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#30 Postby streetsoldier » Wed Feb 12, 2003 8:56 am

YOU HEARD THE LADY...this comes from the "top". Now, ladies and gents...what are you going to do? :?:
0 likes   

Rob-TheStormChaser

#31 Postby Rob-TheStormChaser » Wed Feb 12, 2003 9:46 am

lol guys and girls...I'm way ahead of the game and ill-prepared as it is...No worries mate!
0 likes   

M2

#32 Postby M2 » Thu Feb 13, 2003 1:12 am

Well the lead story on all 3 local stations tonight was broadcast from the Red Cross who has been deluged the last 2 days with calls. Stores here are running low on water and certain items are going fast. We got the call that the same was happening in the Midwest (East of the Mississippi)...
Just fyi, there were only three gallons of H2O left at the grocery store we visited earlier tonight. "Some" people must care enough to be doing a little extra shopping...

0 likes   

southerngale
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#33 Postby southerngale » Thu Feb 13, 2003 2:03 am

Well, I figured better safe than sorry and bought a few things...2 rolls of plastic, duct tape, several gallons of water (probably would need more though), and then extra of the normal stuff....food, batteries, paper towels, etc.

I'm sure that I'm not fully prepared if something horrific actually happened, but I guess it's better than nothing. If anyone feels like naming items that we might not think of, please do. Maybe we could get some lists going...especially from those of you more experienced in this field. :o

And no, I'm not panicking by any means...I haven't even purchased anything that won't eventually be used anyway. :wink:
0 likes   
Please support Storm2k by making a donation today. It is greatly appreciated! Click here: Image

Image my Cowboys Image my RocketsImage my Astros

M2

#34 Postby M2 » Thu Feb 13, 2003 2:22 am

Here is the specific list from FEMA (with a little explanation on some things). It's a .pdf file: http://www.fema.gov/pdf/areyouready/supplies.pdf

Hope this helps.
----------------------------
M2
0 likes   

JQ Public
Category 5
Category 5

#35 Postby JQ Public » Thu Feb 13, 2003 2:29 am

gosh...its like people have no faith. Do they not think they will prevent another attack. Look at how many they have thwarted since 9/11. ;)
0 likes   

Rob-TheStormChaser

#36 Postby Rob-TheStormChaser » Thu Feb 13, 2003 6:35 am

I just dont get why everyone is all of a sudden jumping the gun. While its good to be prepared, most of this is a little extreme and hyped in the media as usual. If they make it here to attack exactly where I live...I'd be shocked! lol I just dont see why people are wrapping windows/doors in plastic...they are just encasing themselves and shutting themselves out from the world! I'm continuing to live and get out in the open spaces...no need to hide behind plastic...it wont help anyhow. Also all these people are buying up all the gas masks...sheesh get real! I'm almost afraid to watch the news to see people garbaging up for nothing basically. Trust me, if we get attacked again, then we as a country arent doing our jobs to protect its citizens and working people so we can be provided the best for all. I just laugh when I see people freaking out like a scud missle with mustard gas will explode in their yards or something. Ah well..I'm not worried at all....if it happens it happens.
0 likes   

Southernmost Weather
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#37 Postby Southernmost Weather » Thu Feb 13, 2003 11:25 am

Rob has hit the nail on the head here--lots of media hype, but that's the media of today, I guess.
All this nonsense reminds me the Cold War back in the late '50s and early '60s when us kids were taught in school to "duck and cover" in the event of a nuclear strike. If we hid under our desks, we could survive a nuclear blast. I can't imagine how hiding behind plastic sheets will protect us from a chemical attack.
0 likes   

JQ Public
Category 5
Category 5

#38 Postby JQ Public » Thu Feb 13, 2003 3:08 pm

good point guys
0 likes   

Rob-TheStormChaser

#39 Postby Rob-TheStormChaser » Thu Feb 13, 2003 3:40 pm

I have utmost confidence in our leaders and military. We have so many troops and sophisticated equipment to get it done. We need to be concerned in rallying around our troops and showing them support and hope they get back to their homes and loved ones as well.
0 likes   

streetsoldier
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#40 Postby streetsoldier » Thu Feb 13, 2003 3:48 pm

I remember that "hype" in the 50's and 60's very well; my father was a USAF LTC, and later worked for the CAA (precursor to the present FAA).

He carried a pocket dossimeter at all times, and...he gave my mother a one-word "signal" that, should she ever get a call from him at work and that single word was spoken (followed by a hang-up), she was to get us as fast as she could and head for the Ozarks (away from St. Louis, moving SW).

It was no joke then, and it ain't now.
0 likes   

Return to “Off Topic”