At least 26 dead in shooting at Connecticut elementary schoo

Chat about anything and everything... (well almost anything) Whether it be the front porch or the pot belly stove or news of interest or a topic of your liking, this is the place to post it.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: At least 26 dead in shooting at Connecticut elementary schoo

#21 Postby SFLcane » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:28 pm

As a parent, I never let a day pass w/o telling my daughter I love her because I'm painfully aware of life's fragile & fleeting existance.

Just so sad... :(
0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

Re:

#22 Postby tolakram » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:24 am

RL3AO wrote:People throw around "gun control" with no context. Gun control can be limiting large capacity magazines or it could be banning all guns. It has a big range.

My view is simple. The government has a few options like background checks and databases. However any major legislation to limit peoples access to guns would likely been seen as violating the 2nd amendment which means a constitutional amendment would need to be passed. However, with a topic that polarizing, the support needed to amend the constitution will not be met anytime in the near future (2/3 of both senate and house and 3/4ths of states).

It's only a matter of time before these incidents move public opinion, but here's so many things here that need to be addressed that are just as important.

Mental Illness.
Broken Family
Easy access to (apparently his mothers) semi-automatic weapons and the ammo.

Unfortunately I doubt the country will have a well reasoned discussion on the issue. :(

Apparently those around him new he had some mental problems yet his mom had all these weapons. A lot we don't know yet.
0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#23 Postby northjaxpro » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:57 am

I have been utterly sickened and gut wrenched regarding this horrible and completely senseless tragedy. I don't have any children yet, but my God, I can not even begin to imagine what the families of these small children are going through right now.

My heart aches and grieves heavily for all of the victims of this unspeakable and senseless tragedy. My prayers go out to the families of all the victims.

There have been far too many of these mass shootings these past several years. Just this year, there have been several shootings. Something has to be done where I would support some legislation requirement pertaining to stronger background checks on those purchasing guns.
0 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re:

#24 Postby Portastorm » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:19 am

northjaxpro wrote:I have been utterly sickened and gut wrenched regarding this horrible and completely senseless tragedy. I don't have any children yet, but my God, I can not even begin to imagine what the families of these small children are going through right now.

My heart aches and grieves heavily for all of the victims of this unspeakable and senseless tragedy. My prayers go out to the families of all the victims.

There have been far too many of these mass shootings these past several years. Just this year, there have been several shootings. Something has to be done where I would support some legislation requirement pertaining to stronger background checks on those purchasing guns.

Even if stronger background checks were implemented, they would have made no difference in what happened yesterday in CT. The guns were legally registered to the murderer's mother. If indeed the murderer was mentally ill -- and it certainly seems likely -- than what would you propose, that we don't sell guns to adults who have mentally ill children? It's just not that easy (in this case).

But like you all, my heart this morning remains heavy and very sad for those affected. It's an unspeakable tragedy.
0 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

Re: Re:

#25 Postby vbhoutex » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:03 am

tolakram wrote:
RL3AO wrote:People throw around "gun control" with no context. Gun control can be limiting large capacity magazines or it could be banning all guns. It has a big range.

My view is simple. The government has a few options like background checks and databases. However any major legislation to limit peoples access to guns would likely been seen as violating the 2nd amendment which means a constitutional amendment would need to be passed. However, with a topic that polarizing, the support needed to amend the constitution will not be met anytime in the near future (2/3 of both senate and house and 3/4ths of states).

It's only a matter of time before these incidents move public opinion, but here's so many things here that need to be addressed that are just as important.

Mental Illness.
Broken Family
Easy access to (apparently his mothers) semi-automatic weapons and the ammo.

Unfortunately I doubt the country will have a well reasoned discussion on the issue. :(

Apparently those around him new he had some mental problems yet his mom had all these weapons. A lot we don't know yet.

Very good points Mark. There is so much more involved than just gun control(if that is an answer). Still praying for all those affected by this.
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

RL3AO
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#26 Postby RL3AO » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:16 am

With concussions in sports, it seems our society is starting to recognize the seriousness of mental issues. This just needs to be the next step. So often with these mass shootings you hear that the teen/20s person had history and signs of serious mental illness that didn't get addressed by parents. I bet we will see a similar story emerge with this.

We just have so many cultural taboos with mental illness.
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#27 Postby cycloneye » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:21 am

I heard that he had some autisum problems.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#28 Postby northjaxpro » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:59 am

Portastorm wrote:
northjaxpro wrote:I have been utterly sickened and gut wrenched regarding this horrible and completely senseless tragedy. I don't have any children yet, but my God, I can not even begin to imagine what the families of these small children are going through right now.

Even if stronger background checks were implemented, they would have made no difference in what happened yesterday in CT. The guns were legally registered to the murderer's mother. If indeed the murderer was mentally ill -- and it certainly seems likely -- than what would you propose, that we don't sell guns to adults who have mentally ill children? It's just not that easy (in this case).

But like you all, my heart this morning remains heavy and very sad for those affected. It's an unspeakable tragedy.

Portastorm, I agree that implementing some type of measures will not be easy. It is a complicated issue for sure, but at least now growing public awareness will initiate something be done in the near future, hopefully. It just grieves my heart of these massacres occuring and unfortunately they are happening too frequently. I am hoping for once that our country will come together somehow on this issue and keep politics out of it!
0 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

brunota2003
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#29 Postby brunota2003 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:44 pm

First:
The media need to do as much as they can to verify what is going on, before reporting it. There has been so much misinformation with this story, it makes my head spin.

Second (trying to stay nonpolitical):
The 2nd Amendment is in place so that the American citizens have access to the same weapons as the military (with notable exceptions). Why? So that when the government oversteps their bounds, they can be overthrown and a new government put in place. The founding fathers KNEW it would happen one day (all great countries/kingdoms/whatever on Earth all eventually come to an end), and they wanted the people to have guns to 1. deter the government from stepping on the people and 2. so once it happened, the people had a means to make the necessary changes, with as little bloodshed as possible. If you severely limit the guns people have access to, you erode the power base, and someone WILL step in and turn this country into something other than a Republic. Don't believe me? Just look at history.

There are measures in place, already, to keep guns out of the hands of mentally unstable people, but if they have nothing SHOWING they are unstable (or any criminal history), when the background check is run, they can still obtain the weapon. You can limit clip sizes, but there are problems there, too. It is not hard (or take long) to reload a weapon, or even a clip/magazine.

People are too scared to go after the guy, even when his weapon jams (or he has to reload), and this has been shown countless times. You never know how you are going to react until you are put in that situation. People think that because there is a smaller mag, less people could be killed. It takes 2 to 3 seconds to drop the old mag, slap the new one in and ride the bolt forward and resume firing. Instead of 30 rounds downrange in 35 seconds, he'll get 30 rounds downrange in 45 seconds. So you might give people an extra couple seconds to escape, but in a classroom or crowded mall, will that really help? Too many people in too little of a space for that to matter. And the police? Usually by the time they arrive, the shooting is already done, either way, and the killer took his own life.

Another thing, in both this shooting and the shooting at the mall a few days ago, the weapons were stolen in both! One from a friend's house and one from his own mother. People who want to commit horrible things will find ways to do them.

I will advocate for two things:
Instead of stricter gun laws, ENFORCE the ones we already have! Secondly, allow concealed carry holders to carry their freaking weapons in these places! One bullet would have stopped this senseless slaughter before it even left the front office. There were several teachers who went into the hallway to confront the gunman (only one came crawling back, according to news reports). If any one of them had been permitted to carry concealed in their class, they could of ended it right in the hallway...instead of one crawling back.

Look at the theater shooting in Colorado. The gunman bypassed a theater closer to his house, to hit the one in Aurora. Why? That theater permitted gun owners to carry their firearms inside. There have been a bunch of shootings (or murders) prevented/stopped due to firearm owners.

Assault weapons, clearly, are not the "smoking gun". The ban expired in 2004, the shootings only upticked in the last year or so.
0 likes   
Just a small town southern boy helping other humans.

CajunMama
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#30 Postby CajunMama » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:38 am

This just sickens me. Let's not post pictures of the killer and give him the fame he sought. I don't want to give him the satisfaction he was looking for. Let's remember the kids and teachers who died. Those are the pictures and names I want to remember.
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#31 Postby cycloneye » Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:12 am

Puerto Rico was also touched by this tragedy as a granddaughter (Ana Grace Marquez Greene -6 years old) of the major of the town of Maunabo died. The family moved to Connecticut only two months ago. She was the daughter of American jazz saxophonist Jimmy Greene. She was close with her brother, 9-year-old Isaias, who was also at Sandy Hook Elementary on Friday.

Here is a statement from her father:

Greene thanked friends for their prayers and words of support: “As we work through this nightmare, we’re reminded how much we’re loved and supported on this earth and by our Father in heaven. As much as she’s needed here and missed by her mother, brother and me, Ana beat us all to paradise. I love you sweetie girl.”

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

SaskatchewanScreamer

#32 Postby SaskatchewanScreamer » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:42 am

Canadians in Manitoba were very upset over her death on our news last night. The above family lived there for 3 of her 6 short years.
0 likes   

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#33 Postby Portastorm » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:57 pm

northjaxpro wrote:Portastorm, I agree that implementing some type of measures will not be easy. It is a complicated issue for sure, but at least now growing public awareness will initiate something be done in the near future, hopefully. It just grieves my heart of these massacres occuring and unfortunately they are happening too frequently. I am hoping for once that our country will come together somehow on this issue and keep politics out of it!

No doubt these things are happening way too often. And I am with you in that I hope we as a nation can use this horrific tragedy to make things safer. Probably a combination of things with, especially, expanding access to mental health care. I like a lot of what has been said here, including brunota2003's ideas. Yes, we all need to come together and fix this tear in the fabric of our society before it happens again.
0 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#34 Postby Ntxw » Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:47 pm

We can see some pictures and the names of the victims here. They were not just victims, but also heroes, brave young boys and girls. There have been stories about teachers protecting their students to the very end.

http://www.cnn.com/interactive/2012/12/ ... ?hpt=hp_t1

They are no longer with us but we will always remember them.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

brunota2003
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#35 Postby brunota2003 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:31 pm

And in a sickening twist, I am hearing that the Westboro Church group will be picketing outside of the school tonight, starting at 7 pm EST.

They are also planning on staying in the area to picket some of the kids' funerals.

Just one of many sources:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... chool.html

Correction:
They will be protesting the vigil tonight at Newton High School. The picketing of some of the funerals came from another source, though.
0 likes   
Just a small town southern boy helping other humans.

SaskatchewanScreamer

#36 Postby SaskatchewanScreamer » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:08 pm

My hat is off to your President and I wish him all the best regarding the gun laws in the United States.

I know my 2 cents isn't worth much here but I thought that was one of the best speeches I've heard from a leader of a country.

May God help ease the anguish of those parents in the days/weeks/months and years ahead.
0 likes   

Ptarmigan
Category 5
Category 5

#37 Postby Ptarmigan » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:41 am

(Top row from left) Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Olivia Engel, Josephine Gay, Ana Marquez-Green. (Middle row from left) Dylan Hockley, Catherine Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli. (Bottom row from left) Grace McDonnell, Emilie Parker, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos

Victims
Nancy Lanza, 52
Rachel D'Avino,29
Dawn Lafferty Hochsprung, 47
Anne Marie Murphy, 52
Lauren Rousseau, 30
Mary Sherlach, 56
Victoria Soto, 27
Charlotte Bacon, 6
Daniel Barden, 7
Olivia Engel, 6
Josephine Gay, 7
Dylan Hockley, 6
Madeline F. Hsu, 6
Catherine Violet Hubbard, 6
Chase Kowalski, 7
Jesse Lewis, 6
Ana Marquez-Greene, 6
James Mattioli, 6
Grace McDonnell, 6
Emilie Parker, 6
Jack Pinto, 6
Noah Pozner, 6
Caroline Previdi, 6
Jessica Rekos, 6
Avielle Richman, 6
Benjamin Wheeler, 6
Allison N. Wyatt, 6

Too sad.
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

Re:

#38 Postby vbhoutex » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:51 am

brunota2003 wrote:And in a sickening twist, I am hearing that the Westboro Church group will be picketing outside of the school tonight, starting at 7 pm EST.

They are also planning on staying in the area to picket some of the kids' funerals.

Just one of many sources:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... chool.html

Correction:
They will be protesting the vigil tonight at Newton High School. The picketing of some of the funerals came from another source, though.

I can tell you that biker groups are planning to be there also to shield the families and cut off WBC from any access to the funerals for sure. It is all over the biker community nationwide and there are plans being put in place. If WBC is smart, especially now that Anonymous has outed a lot of the groups personal information, they will stay away. Do not get me wrong. The groups that provide the "protection" do not resort to violence. That is not allowed.
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

StormingB81
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#39 Postby StormingB81 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:51 am

You have got to be kidding me. A school district in Ridgefield, Ct is on lock down after reports on an armed man.
0 likes   

StormingB81
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#40 Postby StormingB81 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:40 am

Lockdown has been lifted
0 likes   

Return to “Off Topic”