Charitable Events

Chat about anything and everything... (well almost anything) Whether it be the front porch or the pot belly stove or news of interest or a topic of your liking, this is the place to post it.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

TexasStooge
Category 5
Category 5

Charitable Events

#1 Postby TexasStooge » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:30 pm

Has anyone here taken part of any major charitable events in your area or elsewhere?

Saturday was an EPIC day for me. I participated in the Muscular Dystrophy Association's Muscle Walk that morning at Cowboys Stadium in Arlington. A $40 donation, plus a chance to take a long walk around Cowboys Stadium to give several people with neuromuscular diseases a fighting chance...that's definitely a fair trade. I also caught up with a friend also named Michael I knew back in college. It was a wonderful experience! :D

To be real honest, I can't even imagine what life would be like if I had muscular dystrophy myself. I wouldn't be able to do much of the major stuff like I'm doing now. Sure, I would get around in a wheelchair, but I wouldn't do much. I'm very thankful to be in a healthy state that I am at now. Additionally, I know 2 friends (Michael who I mentioned before, and Jason who I knew back in middle school) who were diagnosed with said diseases.

This was the 2nd charitable walk/run that I've participated in...with the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure in Dallas on October 2010.
0 likes   
Weather Enthusiast since 1991.
- Facebook
- Twitter

Stephanie
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Charitable Events

#2 Postby Stephanie » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:59 pm

That's awesome Texas! :D

Actually I was at a fundraiser for an organization called the "Queen of Hearts" which collects money for people that have cancer or went through an organ transplant to help with maybe mortgage payments or other expenses. It is run locally here by a woman that had cancer and the chemotherapy weakened her heart to the point where she needed a transplant

My sister in law has done the "Relay for Life" the past few years in honor of her father that passed away from lung cancer.
0 likes   

sunny
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Charitable Events

#3 Postby sunny » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:40 am

All of the time :) My firm is big with charity involvement, but there are also a few close to my heart. I do the Komen Race for the Cure each year and am doing Color Me Rad in May which also benefits the Komen Foundation. I'm doing the Zombie Run in June which benefits Active Heros. I also just did Race Judicata, which benefits the New Orleans Area Boys Hope/Girls Hope. It's a great way to support a cause, have fun and stay fit at the same time :)
0 likes   

Return to “Off Topic”