Argentine Jorge Bergoglio elected pope

Chat about anything and everything... (well almost anything) Whether it be the front porch or the pot belly stove or news of interest or a topic of your liking, this is the place to post it.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Ptarmigan
Category 5
Category 5

#1 Postby Ptarmigan » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:21 pm

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/E/ ... 3-14-10-46

A new pope has been elected and Jorge Bergoglio is from Argentina. Pope Francis.
0 likes   

Stephanie
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Argentine Jorge Bergoglio elected pope

#2 Postby Stephanie » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:24 pm

God Bless the new Pope and I wish him the best. I love the fact that he is from outside of the European mold and he's using a name never used before. Latin America, Mexico and South America has the highest concentration of Catholics, I believe. He has a tough task ahead of him bringing the Catholic Church closer to the 21st century's needs.

I was baptized Catholic and went to class and had my confirmation. I am an ex-Catholic because I am considered damn to hell by the Catholic Church due to divorce, marrying outside of my faith amongst others. I feel the Protestant faiths teach that God is a forgiving God while the Catholic faith does not. Then there's the issue with abuse...

I guess my nostalgia of being baptized Catholic and growing up in believing that the Pope is Holy makes me excited and hopeful when a new one is elected.
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#3 Postby vbhoutex » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:38 am

I am not Catholic and do not really understand the "need" for the Pope. But I was quickly interested in the fact that he chose Francis as his name. I am presuming that it is after St. Francis of Assisi who was an very humble person who helped the poor and loved animals. As stated hopefully he can bring the Catholic Church into the 21st century and help to "clean up" some of the problems the church has had.
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

Stephanie
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4 Postby Stephanie » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:43 pm

vbhoutex wrote:I am not Catholic and do not really understand the "need" for the Pope. But I was quickly interested in the fact that he chose Francis as his name. I am presuming that it is after St. Francis of Assisi who was an very humble person who helped the poor and loved animals. As stated hopefully he can bring the Catholic Church into the 21st century and help to "clean up" some of the problems the church has had.

It is after St. Francis of Assisi. The more I think about it, the more I like the choice because he is a humble servant and he is known for walking amongst those that lived in the slums outside of Buenos Aires and took the bus around the city. He is very involved in helping those that are less fortunate and oppressed. That has been his mission all along. The Catholic church has been so wrapped up with dictating doctrine and staying the course, that I think that it has lost it's human touch and HOPEFULLY this will mean pedophiles will be kicked out and prosecuted. It's about time that we had someone that would walk amongst the people and show compassion and comfort rather than dictate from above.

I am for gay and women's rights, but any changes by the Catholic church regarding that would probably never happen. I'm a realist. I am just thrilled by this change of direction.
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#5 Postby Ntxw » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:22 pm

I am not a Catholic either but I do wish him the best. He represents and will be a father figure for over 1+ billion people so god bless him and his reign.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

Cyclenall
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby Cyclenall » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:49 pm

Here are some Pope look-alikes I found funny:

0 likes   

Return to “Off Topic”