NATO Military Council agrees to support Turkey

Chat about anything and everything... (well almost anything) Whether it be the front porch or the pot belly stove or news of interest or a topic of your liking, this is the place to post it.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

streetsoldier
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

NATO Military Council agrees to support Turkey

#1 Postby streetsoldier » Sun Feb 16, 2003 6:39 pm

Lord Robertson, along with a German General, just announced that NATO will honor its obligation to Turkey to supply defensive armaments should war with Iraq take place. France is not party to this (it severed military relations with NATO in the 1960's), but has expressed "support" for Turkey, according to Lord Robertson.
0 likes   

Rainband

#2 Postby Rainband » Sun Feb 16, 2003 6:40 pm

Are they caving, if so it's about time!!!!! :wink:
0 likes   

Derek Ortt

About time

#3 Postby Derek Ortt » Sun Feb 16, 2003 6:54 pm

It's about time that NATO honors an agreement. One thing I cannot stand is a liar, and i am glad that NATO decided not to become a bunch of liars by reniging on theiur agreement to protect Turkey
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#4 Postby cycloneye » Sun Feb 16, 2003 7:07 pm

This is very good for nato and it's credibility and forget those french people.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

sunny shine
Category 2
Category 2

#5 Postby sunny shine » Sun Feb 16, 2003 7:48 pm

This latest news is definitely a step in the right direction!! I must admit, I was shocked, but am glad that they are going to honor something for a change. Now about the French... lol. Nevermind, I think we all feel the same way.
0 likes   

streetsoldier
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#6 Postby streetsoldier » Sun Feb 16, 2003 8:01 pm

Frankly, I believe Bundeskanzler Gerhard Schroeder was tired of all the negative press and pressure from the REST of Europe, and caved...as to the Belgians?? Who knows, or cares...except that maybe they wish to keep enjoying being the HQ for NATO?

The fact that a German General was sitting next to Lord Robertson should not be missed here...they wanted to "save face".
0 likes   

Return to “Off Topic”