Red Cross Moves Due To Terror Fears...

Chat about anything and everything... (well almost anything) Whether it be the front porch or the pot belly stove or news of interest or a topic of your liking, this is the place to post it.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

wx247
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Red Cross Moves Due To Terror Fears...

#1 Postby wx247 » Sat Feb 15, 2003 11:00 pm

The American Red Cross has moved its National Disaster Operations Center out of the Washington, D.C. Metro temporarily according to the Associated Press. They have moved to Walkersville, Maryland, in the western part of that state, due to the threat of a terrorist attack in D.C.

Interesting development this evening, and by the way, the wires have been going crazy this evening. I am just now getting a chance to read through some of the info it printed off. Will post more if I get anything else.

Garrett :multi:
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

streetsoldier
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#2 Postby streetsoldier » Sat Feb 15, 2003 11:31 pm

OH, GREAT...all those Congressmen (and Congresswomen) and Senators spend all that $$$ to GET to "Babylon-on-the-Potomac", and the Red Cross "books out" at the possibility of a terror attack, when they may be most needed on site?

MAYBE they know something we don't...awaiting further developments as they happen, folks! :o
0 likes   

streetsoldier
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#3 Postby streetsoldier » Sun Feb 16, 2003 1:42 am

This is one reason why I have no respect for the American Red Cross...I've had dealings with them many times in r/l EOC/SAR missions.

They always arrive later than anyone else (the best supporting group, IMHO, is the Salvation Army), and when they DO arrive, they try to "take over" the EOC, no matter who's been manning it for the 12-24 hours they weren't there.

And their on-site "honchos" are the nastiest, most overbearing and arrogantly condescending bunch this side of Paris, France...add their well-known mismanagement of funds, and why bother with them?
0 likes   

southerngale
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#4 Postby southerngale » Sun Feb 16, 2003 1:50 am

Unbelievable! Shouldn't that be a reason to be there? :?
0 likes   
Please support Storm2k by making a donation today. It is greatly appreciated! Click here: Image

Image my Cowboys Image my RocketsImage my Astros

weatherlover427

#5 Postby weatherlover427 » Sun Feb 16, 2003 2:09 am

Really? :o This is weird IMO. Could this be a sign of things to come?
0 likes   

streetsoldier
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#6 Postby streetsoldier » Sun Feb 16, 2003 3:28 am

One would think so, but in my experience, the Red Cross is less interested in getting the job done than pandering to the press that the situation atracts, regardless of who actually does the job. :grrr:
0 likes   

wx247
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7 Postby wx247 » Sun Feb 16, 2003 10:45 am

Here is an update...

Amid criticism by some in Washington D.C. the American Red Cross says that the site in Maryland will be a back-up site in case something were to happen to their original National Disaster Operations Center in Falls Church, Virginia. The Red Cross said that the media mistook their press release to mean something more than it was.

"This was identified as part of our continuity of operations planning and really took off after 9/11," said Larry Rockwell, a Red Cross spokesman.

Hmmm... Interesting. Seems like a turn around from the AP story last night.

Garrett :multi:

[/quote]
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

streetsoldier
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#8 Postby streetsoldier » Sun Feb 16, 2003 4:00 pm

Same old "backpedalling"; they got some bad press, and now they're "revising" their movement. :roll:
0 likes   

Rainband

#9 Postby Rainband » Sun Feb 16, 2003 4:27 pm

Typical.....Well maybe we made a mistake and now should save face BS!!! IMHO :wink:
0 likes   

Return to “Off Topic”