Nine May Face Shuttle Looting Charges

Chat about anything and everything... (well almost anything) Whether it be the front porch or the pot belly stove or news of interest or a topic of your liking, this is the place to post it.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Rob-TheStormChaser

Nine May Face Shuttle Looting Charges

#1 Postby Rob-TheStormChaser » Mon Feb 10, 2003 12:49 pm

NACOGDOCHES, Texas (AP) - A three-day amnesty period to turn over looted shuttle debris brought in hundreds of pieces of the shattered Columbia, but officials said Saturday that people are still illegally hoarding the debris and at least nine could soon face charges.

"We're down to nine investigative complaints turned over to a U.S. attorney in Lufkin," Nacogdoches County Sheriff Thomas Kerss said Saturday.

Sheriffs in other counties said they had received tips about possible looting as well.

Federal authorities offered the amnesty period Wednesday after arresting two people, accused of taking a circuit board and a piece of thermal insulating fabric, and leading both into the courthouse in handcuffs in view of photographers and TV camera crews.

Both pleaded innocent to charges of stealing government property and could face up to 10 years in prison if convicted. Their trials are set for April.

U.S. Attorney Matthew Orwig said the response to the amnesty had been overwhelming, with hundreds of pieces turned in since it began Wednesday. Federal prosecutors said anyone found with shuttle debris after Friday would face prosecution.

In Nacogdoches County, 35 people turned in 117 pieces of debris under the program, Kerss said. He said his county also had a list of names from tips by residents of people who could still have debris.

"We will have some search teams begin visiting flea markets," Kerss said.
0 likes   

chadtm80
Category 5
Category 5

#2 Postby chadtm80 » Mon Feb 10, 2003 12:57 pm

Ya some dumb arse had a piece of it on ebay..... HOW STUPID CAN YOU BE?????????
0 likes   

Rob-TheStormChaser

#3 Postby Rob-TheStormChaser » Mon Feb 10, 2003 1:05 pm

Yeah....I brought this fact up over on TWC and a few people got all upset for the way I said it...but all in all these people in TX and LA shouldnt tamper with a crime scene. I hope they find these idiots and really nail their @$$ to the wall.
0 likes   

black opal
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#4 Postby black opal » Mon Feb 10, 2003 5:14 pm

Rob, I saw where people on the OT over reacted, That was a shame. I agree, the people were just plane stupied for trying to sell or hang on to those parts for themselves. That big of a deal should of never had been made
0 likes   

Rob-TheStormChaser

#5 Postby Rob-TheStormChaser » Mon Feb 10, 2003 5:20 pm

I know black...I think some people just had it out for me, but its too late now. While its sad people took things that is a part of our space program and the lives lost from it, it is equally sad that people over there have to start crap over a few words said about areas they dont even live in. Lindaloo and a few others got on my case, but we already know she can be insensitive with others there. No problems here now, so time goes on! Every dog has its day! :wink:
0 likes   

black opal
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#6 Postby black opal » Mon Feb 10, 2003 5:24 pm

Lindloo has'nt shown up yet has she? :?
0 likes   

Rob-TheStormChaser

#7 Postby Rob-TheStormChaser » Mon Feb 10, 2003 5:29 pm

here? naw...havent seen her. Although she got on Widremann's site and started her usual prowess and sarcasm with me so I bailed from there as well. As much as I like everyone I talk to, she just annoys me to no end with her childish banter and cynicism. If she came here, she wouldnt last long with her ways....lol
0 likes   

black opal
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#8 Postby black opal » Mon Feb 10, 2003 5:34 pm

LOL, Lord I hope not. She is one of the main reasons why Lumara left. Whenever she would post after me I ignored it. She was truley a female, well I do not want to get banned off this site already but you get the idea
0 likes   

Rob-TheStormChaser

#9 Postby Rob-TheStormChaser » Mon Feb 10, 2003 5:38 pm

lol black...thats whats so good about here....no one cares about what you say as to be so critical. I mean these guys CARE, but they are much more understanding where we come from. I'm glad she isnt here as well and also was encouraging Lumara to come back...but never saw her. I even said I bet that the ones that didnt encourage her return are probably the same people that drove her off. Lindaloo never said a word...figures.
0 likes   

Rainband

#10 Postby Rainband » Mon Feb 10, 2003 5:44 pm

All I say is DUHHHHHHHHHHH how ignorant can u be gheez....throw the book at them :x
0 likes   

Rob-TheStormChaser

#11 Postby Rob-TheStormChaser » Mon Feb 10, 2003 5:50 pm

Yeahhhhhh John...exactly! What could these people possibly gain by making human tragedy a souvenir?
0 likes   

Rainband

#12 Postby Rainband » Mon Feb 10, 2003 6:10 pm

It's sick and it pisses me off to no end :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x
0 likes   

streetsoldier
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#13 Postby streetsoldier » Mon Feb 10, 2003 6:13 pm

Like debris from WTC, or going over that farm site in PA, it is grave robbing...pure and simple.

The world is full of sick people...ask JohnAdmin! LOLOLOLOLOL :grrr:
0 likes   

Rob-TheStormChaser

#14 Postby Rob-TheStormChaser » Mon Feb 10, 2003 6:15 pm

bahahahaha Good one Bill....so full of wit and charisma! lmao
0 likes   

JQ Public
Category 5
Category 5

hmmm

#15 Postby JQ Public » Mon Feb 10, 2003 6:16 pm

Grrrr...its sad how selfish and inconsiderate some people can be!! They have no morals. Makes me sick!
0 likes   

Rob-TheStormChaser

#16 Postby Rob-TheStormChaser » Mon Feb 10, 2003 6:21 pm

lol JQ...I hope you're talking about 'those' guys and not anyone here! please specify...we wont bite man!!! :wink:
0 likes   

JQ Public
Category 5
Category 5

hahahahhah ROB!@

#17 Postby JQ Public » Mon Feb 10, 2003 6:23 pm

I was talking about those sicko looters. They are the ones that make me growl. Not y'all hahahhahaha.
0 likes   

Rob-TheStormChaser

#18 Postby Rob-TheStormChaser » Mon Feb 10, 2003 6:28 pm

lmao JQ...yeah thats pretty crappy to do for sure. And yes...those other people should pay for doing what they do.
0 likes   

Return to “Off Topic”