Tax cuts for the rich?

Chat about anything and everything... (well almost anything) Whether it be the front porch or the pot belly stove or news of interest or a topic of your liking, this is the place to post it.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

coriolis
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Tax cuts for the rich?

#1 Postby coriolis » Sun Feb 09, 2003 7:14 pm

Some people have criticized Pres Bush for his proposed tax cuts, saying that it's for the rich. Others have replied that the rich pay most of the taxes anyway. I'll add my own experience here.
I make just under $50,000 a year and have 5 dependents. With the dependent tax credit, I got back ALL withheld fed tax, and the govt paid me an extra $35! The dependent tax credit is deducted from the taxes you owe- not deducted from your income prior to figuring taxes. A guy I work with has 9 kids. He had a small amount withheld and got thousands back which he never even had withheld. So it seems that someone making only $10,000 with a lot of kids would also get a big "refund."
It seems to me that the people saying that taxes on the poor should be reduced don't know what they are talking about.
0 likes   
This space for rent.

streetsoldier
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#2 Postby streetsoldier » Sun Feb 09, 2003 8:08 pm

My pension, Social Security disabliity and dependent's benefits, and stiudentmom's part-time on-campus job falls well below that sum, coriolis, yet we, too, are benefitting greatly from the Bush plan (where did y'all think that "shopping spree" came from?) :lol:
0 likes   

southerngale
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#3 Postby southerngale » Mon Feb 10, 2003 1:31 am

Yep, a lot of Democrats will get on tv and say that the Bush plan benefits the rich. I guess they think that most other Democrats and hopefully some Republicans will just believe them without getting the facts straight. Honestly, I don't even know how they keep this debate alive. :roll:

It seems so simple...
0 likes   
Please support Storm2k by making a donation today. It is greatly appreciated! Click here: Image

Image my Cowboys Image my RocketsImage my Astros

Rob-TheStormChaser

#4 Postby Rob-TheStormChaser » Mon Feb 10, 2003 6:05 am

They should tax the hell outta the rich and transfer it to us middle class people who really work hard for a needed check week to week.
0 likes   

Return to “Off Topic”