Boric acid missing...

Chat about anything and everything... (well almost anything) Whether it be the front porch or the pot belly stove or news of interest or a topic of your liking, this is the place to post it.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

wx247
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Boric acid missing...

#1 Postby wx247 » Sat Feb 08, 2003 5:32 pm

The following is a story from UPI. I have not found this story on any L.A. station's website or seen anything on the AP wire. Interesting...

Law enforcement agencies in the Los Angeles area were on alert Friday night for a stolen truck hauling 44,000 pounds of boric acid, a material that can be used as an ingredient in explosives.

The California Highway Patrol told United Press International the missing truck and its cargo container were stolen around 8 p.m. PST in Corona, around 30 miles southeast of downtown Los Angeles. The circumstances surrounding the alleged theft were not immediately available.

The Corona police informed the FBI of the theft. There was no immediate comment from the bureau.

There were no indications that the vehicle had been targeted by terrorists or anyone else intent on causing an explosion. However the theft occurred on the day that the national terrorist threat level was raised to "high" based on what federal authorities viewed as a credible evidence that an al Qaida attack was possible.

Boric acid, the stolen cargo, is a colorless, odorless crystalline substance and is used in a number of industrial processes and products such as eye wash solution, flame retardants, insecticides and fertilizers, although it can also react violently with potassium, acid anhydrides and other chemicals.

The vehicle was described as having a green tractor and a flatbed trailer carrying a cargo container and having an Oregon license plate. The CHP said there had been a number of possible sightings of the truck but the vehicle remained missing early Saturday

Garrett :multi:
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

southerngale
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#2 Postby southerngale » Sat Feb 08, 2003 6:40 pm

I know they sell small bottles of boric acid at places like Walmart, but 44,000 pounds stolen??? Hmmm...I can't think of any legitimate reason for having that much of it. I've had the tv on Fox News a good part of the day and haven't heard about this though...I wonder why. This sounds like something the news stations would usually report.

Keep us posted if you hear anything else.
0 likes   
Please support Storm2k by making a donation today. It is greatly appreciated! Click here: Image

Image my Cowboys Image my RocketsImage my Astros

JQ Public
Category 5
Category 5

hmmm

#3 Postby JQ Public » Sat Feb 08, 2003 6:57 pm

Some lady reported three "suspicious" looking guys at a Home Depot buying fertilizer, grass seed, and copper wire. I dunno...they said it could be used for making explosives, but just seeing that they got grass seed and fertilizer makes this seem like a non issue. Then on the news they said that no one has been arrested yet. SInce when was buying grass seed a crime? Oh well keep us updated wx247 :)
0 likes   

HeartofNC
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Where

#4 Postby HeartofNC » Sat Feb 08, 2003 7:16 pm

Where (which state, city, etc.) were these folks making the purchase at Home Depot?

Corona is a pretty tough little area, might not have known contents of the truck ~ at least I hope not.
0 likes   

JQ Public
Category 5
Category 5

hmmm

#5 Postby JQ Public » Sat Feb 08, 2003 7:17 pm

Cary...i was not sure if it was a Home Depot or a Lowes...some sort of home improvement store. This was on the News last night on WTVD if you're in the raleigh area?!/!
0 likes   

Rainband

#6 Postby Rainband » Sat Feb 08, 2003 7:30 pm

I think even though the alert was issued and the level was raised, the news media may be limited to what they should say to avoid panic. I also think if somebody stold that truck they knew what was in it. :o
0 likes   

ColdFront77

#7 Postby ColdFront77 » Sat Feb 08, 2003 7:33 pm

Usually news stories known like this are mentioned on the national news... hopefully it will be reported on FOX News Channel, MSNBC and CNN soon.
0 likes   

Rob-TheStormChaser

#8 Postby Rob-TheStormChaser » Sun Feb 09, 2003 8:17 am

Rutrow...this sounds like the 1st episode or Plutonium missing from the Back To The Future Trilogy! lol :roll: :o
0 likes   

breeze
Category 5
Category 5

#9 Postby breeze » Sun Feb 09, 2003 10:36 am

I had the tv on MSNBC, pretty much all evening, yesterday,
and, they didn't mention it. Oh, well...I'd like to
think, like rainband said, that the media were limited
to what they can say, but, their usual behavior is to
give a 30-minute show segment to demonstrate
at least fifteen options of what someone could
do with 44,000 lbs. of boric acid! Help 'em out, ya know?

:roll: :o :roll:
0 likes   

wx247
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#10 Postby wx247 » Sun Feb 09, 2003 10:46 am

Good morning everyone. Since that story first came across the wire on United Press International I have not been able to find another source to cooberate that story.

I am checking with a few sources. My only guess is that they can't mention it maybe??

Garrett :multi:
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

JQ Public
Category 5
Category 5

hmmm

#11 Postby JQ Public » Sun Feb 09, 2003 1:04 pm

Lets just hope it was a misunderstanding like those disease viles "stolen" in texas, but they weren't really stolen atall.
0 likes   

coriolis
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

All that boric acid?

#12 Postby coriolis » Sun Feb 09, 2003 7:33 pm

I doubt that they have that many cockroaches
0 likes   
This space for rent.

streetsoldier
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#13 Postby streetsoldier » Sun Feb 09, 2003 8:01 pm

You're right about that...they're all HERE!

Have to "bomb" the place soon...have the bombs, but have to wait for a day when we can afford to be all together AND absent ourselves for 4-6 hours.

Meanwhile, these unwelcome prehistoric interlopers (left behind by some "neighbors" last summer) are "line-dancing" in the cupboards as I speak...and they speak English..."We KNOW where you live; we LIVE where you live!" :o
0 likes   

coriolis
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#14 Postby coriolis » Sun Feb 09, 2003 8:31 pm

Streetsoldier, what kind of "bomb" are you using?

Let's hope that the above story is untrue. But even that bomb wouldn't hurt those stone age critters.
0 likes   
This space for rent.

streetsoldier
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#15 Postby streetsoldier » Sun Feb 09, 2003 9:04 pm

OH, it's TRUE alright...three college-age girls had the next-door apartment for three months (just to use for a beer-and-???? pad); when the landlord evicted their nubile little butts, they left behind a "surprise package" for the apartments immediately adjoining theirs.

The "bombs" I'll be using are "Raid-MAX" Concentrated "deep-reach" Foggers, enough to cover our 1,550 sq. ft. apartment.

We ASKED and ASKED the landlord to get an exterminator, and he agreed...that was in August, and so we ain't waitin' no longer. :roll:
At least this time, the bastards will all be inside, where we can "git' 'em GOOD"...LOL
0 likes   

Return to “Off Topic”