Bermuda and Azores High

If you have a question, don't care what it is ~ If you need a hand, We can assure you this ~ We can help

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Dynamic
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

Bermuda and Azores High

#1 Postby Dynamic » Wed May 02, 2007 5:36 pm

I want to know if someone may put a map where both, Bermuda High and Azores High were identify or marked. I want to learn how to identify both High and their respective positions. Thanks in advance.
0 likes   

wxmann_91
Category 5
Category 5

#2 Postby wxmann_91 » Thu May 03, 2007 1:41 am

The Azores High and the Bermuda High are pretty much the same thing.

The Azores High is a semipermanent high pressure cell over the subtropical Atlantic. However, over the summer, it usually weakens and migrates westward, accompanied by the northery shift of the ITCZ. Thus really it's a matter of position, and during the summer, since it can be centered closer to Bermuda than the Azores (even though it's quite variable and could be parked in either side), so it's called the Bermuda High.

I did a google search and there is one good image - that is only at the size of the thumbnail. Best graphic I could find :) (second row, third column)
http://images.google.com/images?q=bermu ... a=N&tab=wi
0 likes   

Dynamic
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#3 Postby Dynamic » Thu May 03, 2007 10:14 am

Great explanation and picture, thank you!. One last thing, using one of the North Atlantic maps in this page GOES North Atlantic Imagery. What I have to see to identify the Bermuda-Azores High, their current position and which are the best map or imagery to do this?

Thank you :D
0 likes   

wxmann_91
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby wxmann_91 » Fri May 04, 2007 12:04 am

Using just convectional satellite imagery, the visible and/or IR images (depending on the time of day) would be the best, since water vapor detects upper level systems and the Bermuda-Azores High is a surface feature.

Typically, an area with low clouds (NOT high clouds necessarily, but certainly low clouds) that are moving clockwise (westward at the Tropics, southward near the African coastline) can be an indicator of a high pressure. Loops are very good.

For example, take a look at this java loop: http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/east/natl/loop-ir4.html
Note the clouds circling clockwise in the eastern Atlantic. That is a sign of high pressure.

And it agrees with the 0Z GFS initialization: http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/nwprod ... p_000m.gif

You're welcome. :)
0 likes   

Dynamic
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#5 Postby Dynamic » Fri May 04, 2007 10:11 am

Thank you!!! I can identify very easy this High now. I appreciate your help :D
0 likes   

Return to “Got a question? I'm listening”