Studying Tropical Meteorology in Graduate School

If you have a question, don't care what it is ~ If you need a hand, We can assure you this ~ We can help

Moderator: S2k Moderators

tumet06
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

Studying Tropical Meteorology in Graduate School

#1 Postby tumet06 » Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:14 pm

Hello,

I'm new to these boards, but I really enjoy reading all the information here that I can't get elsewhere and thinking about the science of weather. I have some questions that I'm hoping you all can help with if you don't mind. I just graduated college with a degree in political science, but I decided this year that I want to pursue meteorology in graduate school. It's been a passion of mine my entire life (particularly tropical cyclones... everything about them), but my school had no undergraduate meteorology courses.

I took 5 physics courses and audited 1 (through Thermodynamics) and 5 math courses (through Differential Eq And Linear Algebra), as well as 1 computer science and general chemistry. I'm also completing the USDA distance learning courses to achieve a certificate in meteorology. I got some experience volunteering at an NWS office, so I know this is what I want to do, and I do have a little bit of a background... just no science/math major, and no undergrad met courses (though the distance learning is compensating).

My questions for all of you are what schools you think I should consider, as well as whether you think I have any realistic chance of getting in. I have a feeling my background will hurt me, so I'm not sure if I can get in anywhere... my grades were good overall (~3.2 gpa), but my grades in science/math courses weren't that great (closer to 2.6). I was very involved on campus, and I did research in both physics and political science. I know for sure I want to pursue a phd because I want a research career and possibly to teach.

I truly appreciate your help if you post a response, and your advice will definitely clarify things for me. Thanks!
0 likes   

Derek Ortt

#2 Postby Derek Ortt » Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:41 pm

The background may be on the weak side, since you do not have an undergraduate met, math, or physics degree.

Did you get a full minor in either of those subjects? That would be of a big help to gain acceptance. The 2.6 gpa in the math and science courses does send a major red flag, as meteorology at the graduate level is very mathematical. One must know the euqations of motion down pat, and those are all PDEs.

Have you taken the GRE yet? That would also be a good indicator as to how you would do. You would need a math score of AT LEAST 750 out of 800
0 likes   

Return to “Got a question? I'm listening”