Applied Math and Meteorology

If you have a question, don't care what it is ~ If you need a hand, We can assure you this ~ We can help

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Future Met
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

Applied Math and Meteorology

#1 Postby Future Met » Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:23 am

This is my first post on this website. I can’t believe that it took me this long to discover weather forums! I am looking forward to having many informative weather conversations on this site.

I need some advise for a possible career in atmospheric science. I am currently a senior in college. My major is applied mathematics with a concentration in quantitative modeling, and my minor is physics. After graduating, I plan to get an additional degree in atmospheric science.

I am trying to find out if my applied mathematics degree will be useful in any fields in meteorology. If so, which ones?

Any advice that you can give me regarding my atmospheric science degree would be appreciated. Are there any concentrations that would best fit my educational background? Also, is it possible for me to get into graduate school for meteorology with my math degree? I remember reading that you can apply for grad school for meteorology with certain majors other than meteorology. Is this true?

Thanks in advance for your assistance
0 likes   

Aslkahuna
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#2 Postby Aslkahuna » Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:55 am

Yes, you can go for an Atmo degree in Grad School with a degree in Math or Physics. The math will initially be an immense help to you in your Met course work as they are very math intensive. If you plan to go into research then you will definitely use the math.

Steve
0 likes   

pojo
Military Member
Military Member

#3 Postby pojo » Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:02 pm

Look into the your campus classes and possible mixes with the MET degree. In most B.S. degrees you will get a minor in Math no matter what... that might be the better option.
0 likes   

JonathanBelles
Professional-Met
Professional-Met
Location: School: Florida State University (Tallahassee, FL) Home: St. Petersburg, Florida

#4 Postby JonathanBelles » Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:04 pm

ugh i hate math, its my worst subject. I guess im going with physics.
0 likes   

kevin

#5 Postby kevin » Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:39 am

Physics is basically math.
0 likes   

P.K.
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#6 Postby P.K. » Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:51 am

Met is basically maths and physics so there is no escaping it. :lol:
0 likes   

Derek Ortt

#7 Postby Derek Ortt » Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:45 pm

go into grad school.

You have the qualifications (depending upon GPA and GRE scores) to be admitted and you can pursue a masters or PHD in met.

You also would likely get paid to get your advanced degree. Thus, do NOT go for an undergrad degree, that would be a waste of time and $$
0 likes   

DrCloud
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#8 Postby DrCloud » Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:37 pm

Applied math and (classical) physics are a great combination to provide a foundation for atmospheric science in graduate school. And if your concentration in quantitative modeling means numerical solutions to partial differential equations, you're ready to rock.

Dynamic meteorology/oceanography is quite mathematical; and large scale computer models are simulation tools for these phenomena. Atmospheric radiative transfer is also math/computer oriented.

On the other hand, some people would use "quantitative modeling" to mean applied statistics -- if this is your case, then climatology and/or large-scale data analysis (satellites; big models) might be a better focus area.

It really depends on what floats your boat in terms of the physics -- what interests you most? HPH
0 likes   

Return to “Got a question? I'm listening”