"Invest" question

If you have a question, don't care what it is ~ If you need a hand, We can assure you this ~ We can help

Moderator: S2k Moderators

SaintRob
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

"Invest" question

#1 Postby SaintRob » Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:50 pm

I usually do searches and find answers to the most basic questions, but I have not found the answer to this anywhere.

What exactly does invest mean? I get that it's an area of interest, but how does the numbering work? It looks like the numbers cycle from 90-99 repeatedly. Why?
0 likes   

wjs3
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2 Postby wjs3 » Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:58 pm

SaintRob:

I don;t want to see your post sit here and get ignored...I think you've probably figured out that invest means investigation...the NHC calls it "opening a window at the NRL" on an area of suspicion.

I have no idea why the numbering is as you describe. Never thought about it. Great question.
0 likes   

Extreme Alde
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

Re: "Invest" question

#3 Postby Extreme Alde » Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:03 am

SaintRob wrote:I usually do searches and find answers to the most basic questions, but I have not found the answer to this anywhere.

What exactly does invest mean? I get that it's an area of interest, but how does the numbering work? It looks like the numbers cycle from 90-99 repeatedly. Why?

Just bumping this to see if anyone can answer the numbering question and also point me towards satellite images or equivalent that show the various Invest's named at any one time. This would be very useful particularly with the Guinea wave that shows up well on satellite and has the potential to be come an Invest which I could follow.

Many thanks in advance. :)
0 likes   

Matt-hurricanewatcher
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby Matt-hurricanewatcher » Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:52 am

The invest is put out for the goverment in navy to watch the cyclone. They are numbered 90 to 99. L=for Atlatnic E=Eastern pacific C=Central pacific W=Western pacific. They are also put out for models data to be run.
0 likes   

wjs3
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5 Postby wjs3 » Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:22 am

Extreme Alde wrote:
SaintRob wrote:I usually do searches and find answers to the most basic questions, but I have not found the answer to this anywhere.

Just bumping this to see if anyone can answer the numbering question and also point me towards satellite images or equivalent that show the various Invest's named at any one time. This would be very useful particularly with the Guinea wave that shows up well on satellite and has the potential to be come an Invest which I could follow.

Extreme:

Go to the NRL site:

http://www.nrlmry.navy.mil/tc_pages/tc_home.html

To follow invests. The word "invest" will pop up on the list on the left of the page.

Regarding what you are talking about following over Guinea...Only some waves that exit AFrica make it to Invest (or beyond). So I wouldn't hold my breath (though you may be right).

If you'd like to get great satellite shots of Africa, one place to get them is from the Dundee Receiving station. Sign up for a free account:

http://www.sat.dundee.ac.uk/auth.html

I'd use those images (Meteosat ones to be specific) to track your wave.
0 likes   

Extreme Alde
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#6 Postby Extreme Alde » Sun Aug 27, 2006 2:51 am

wjs3 wrote:
Extreme Alde wrote:

Extreme:

Go to the NRL site:

http://www.nrlmry.navy.mil/tc_pages/tc_home.html

To follow invests. The word "invest" will pop up on the list on the left of the page.

Regarding what you are talking about following over Guinea...Only some waves that exit AFrica make it to Invest (or beyond). So I wouldn't hold my breath (though you may be right).

If you'd like to get great satellite shots of Africa, one place to get them is from the Dundee Receiving station. Sign up for a free account:

http://www.sat.dundee.ac.uk/auth.html

I'd use those images (Meteosat ones to be specific) to track your wave.

Many thanks for taking the time to answer my question and post a link. :)
0 likes   

wjs3
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7 Postby wjs3 » Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:39 pm

Sure thing. Glad to help. Please fire away if you have more.
0 likes   

Return to “Got a question? I'm listening”