hi pressures popping up due to a warmer climate?

If you have a question, don't care what it is ~ If you need a hand, We can assure you this ~ We can help

Moderator: S2k Moderators

windsurfer77058
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

hi pressures popping up due to a warmer climate?

#1 Postby windsurfer77058 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:32 am

In this year's hurricane season I've seen more crazy tracks of hurricanes and heard more about hi pressures guiding the tracks of hurricanes than I ever had. In addition, I caught just about two minutes of weather channel show in which they talked about there being more hi pressures popping up due to a warmer climate. It makes sense to me that heat increases pressure. They used a visual graphic of squeezing a lightly filled ballon to demonstrate this effect. Does anyone know anything about this phenomen?
I understand that perhaps media weather people are more now into discussing hi pressures to describe possible tracks of storms. Similarly they all are now talking about computer models where as just a couple of years ago none of them mentioned computer models.

Thanks,
Chuck
0 likes   

Aslkahuna
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re: hi pressures popping up due to a warmer climate?

#2 Postby Aslkahuna » Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:48 pm

I haven't noted that many unusual tracks this year. As for upper level highs, it depends more on their orientation than number as to how the storms are steered. The oceanic subtropical highs have always been the primary source of steering for Tropical Cyclones and I've seen no evidence that there have been more highs this year than usual. It's very common for the media to seek simplistic answers to such questions and TWC is no exception anymore and is no longer a reliable source of accurate (and more importantly unbiased) information. In the early 1990's everything was blamed on El Nino/La Nina and now it's always Global Warming. A truer answer would be to blame it all on the natural and chaotic variability of the atmosphere.

Steve
0 likes   

Return to “Got a question? I'm listening”