Alaskan Hurricane? : Deadliest Catch

If you have a question, don't care what it is ~ If you need a hand, We can assure you this ~ We can help

Moderator: S2k Moderators

DanKellFla
Category 5
Category 5

Alaskan Hurricane? : Deadliest Catch

#1 Postby DanKellFla » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:28 pm

This week I was watching the Discovery Channel Show, "Deadliest Catch." That is the show about crab fishing. The narrator kept on talking about an "Alaskan Hurricane." Is that for real? Anybody know what that means?
Thanks
0 likes   

HURAKAN
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#2 Postby HURAKAN » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:33 pm

Most likely an extratropical cyclone which can have winds up to hurricane intensity, especially over the ocean. There are no hurricanes in Alaska. Period!!!
0 likes   

Ptarmigan
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Alaskan Hurricane? : Deadliest Catch

#3 Postby Ptarmigan » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:18 am

Hurricanes cannot exist over Alaska. The water is too cold. It is caused by extratropical systems, which some come from hurricanes and typhoons. They produce hurricane force winds and are large storms.
0 likes   

Dionne
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Location: SW Mississippi....Alaska transplant via a Southern Belle.

#4 Postby Dionne » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:20 am

The Deadliest Catch episode "Finish Line" details a Williwaw wind. Wiliwaws can come out of nowhere without warning and can reach hurricane strength winds. These winds are most commonly known as outflow winds. They have the capacity of capsizing boats and damaging buildings. During the winter of '75 we lost several homes under construction on "hillside", an area at the base of the Chugach mountains in Anchorage. Duration of the windstorm was 20 minutes max.
0 likes   

Category 5
Category 5
Category 5

#5 Postby Category 5 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:24 pm

Ptarmigan wrote:Hurricanes cannot exist over Alaska. The water is too cold. It is caused by extratropical systems, which some come from hurricanes and typhoons. They produce hurricane force winds and are large storms.

Ioke in 2006 is a good example.
0 likes   

brunota2003
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6 Postby brunota2003 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:51 pm

Or what about a Polar Low?
0 likes   

Ed Mahmoud

#7 Postby Ed Mahmoud » Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:09 pm

Deadliest Catch has used cheesy looking overlays of faux hurricane satellites in the Bering Sea before. That annoys me almost as much as when TV news investigative reports make 'snapshot' or shutter sound effects when showing still pictures. Or when they called Hurricane Grace a Category 5 in The Perfect Storm.

Or like that Preminger movie with John Wayne and Patricia Neal, about the immediate aftermath of the Pearl Harbor attack. Maybe I only noticed because the radar I trained on in "A" school was the AN/SPS-10 surface search radar. But surface ships of December 1941 didn't have an array of radar antennaes on their masts.

Old movies with good special effects- A Night to Remember. No CGI, and sometimes one could tell the Titanic was actually about a ten foot long ship in a swimming pool, but much better acting.

And the Jon Hall/Dorothy Lamour film from the 1930s, The Hurricane, for a 70+ year old black and white movie, the depiction of wind damage and storm surge looks almost like a documentary, and an excellent script.
0 likes   

Ptarmigan
Category 5
Category 5

#8 Postby Ptarmigan » Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:39 pm

Ed Mahmoud wrote:Deadliest Catch has used cheesy looking overlays of faux hurricane satellites in the Bering Sea before. That annoys me almost as much as when TV news investigative reports make 'snapshot' or shutter sound effects when showing still pictures. Or when they called Hurricane Grace a Category 5 in The Perfect Storm.

Or like that Preminger movie with John Wayne and Patricia Neal, about the immediate aftermath of the Pearl Harbor attack. Maybe I only noticed because the radar I trained on in "A" school was the AN/SPS-10 surface search radar. But surface ships of December 1941 didn't have an array of radar antennaes on their masts.

Old movies with good special effects- A Night to Remember. No CGI, and sometimes one could tell the Titanic was actually about a ten foot long ship in a swimming pool, but much better acting.

And the Jon Hall/Dorothy Lamour film from the 1930s, The Hurricane, for a 70+ year old black and white movie, the depiction of wind damage and storm surge looks almost like a documentary, and an excellent script.

I saw A Night To Remember. Great movie. Better than James Cameron's Titanic.
0 likes   

Return to “Got a question? I'm listening”