Question for global warmers

If you have a question, don't care what it is ~ If you need a hand, We can assure you this ~ We can help

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Matt-hurricanewatcher
Category 5
Category 5

Question for global warmers

#1 Postby Matt-hurricanewatcher » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:01 pm

This is a serious question unlike the other one. But anyways if you believe that the sea levels are going to rise like some of your sciencist have said it will. Why are you not opposed to all building on or near the ocean? It seems like simple common sense to me. Can you tell me why I'm wrong with my thinking, thank you.

City like New orleans would not survive even a 5 foot rise in sea level.
0 likes   

Category 5
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Question for global warmers

#2 Postby Category 5 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:51 pm

Matt we don't agree on much but I've been asking myself this for a while. But why stop this question here? Why do people continue to build and live on Barrier Islands with the real threat of storms like Ivan and Katrina? Barrier islands are there to protect the mainland, building on them defeats the purpose. Then people act surprised when their house is washed away. It's like building on a fault line and being surprised when there's an earthquake. Building homes on the beach and on the barrier islands is completely and utterly foolish IMO.
0 likes   

Aslkahuna
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#3 Postby Aslkahuna » Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:13 pm

Actually, it's too late in most cases to oppose building along the oceanfronts but I firmly believe that we should NOT subsidize rebuilding when those building are destroyed.

Steve
0 likes   

HURAKAN
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#4 Postby HURAKAN » Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:18 pm

I have another question, why do we build in the San Andreas fault or near Mount Rainier or in New Orleans or along the Mississippi River? And I can go on and on. Sea level will continue to rise but people still want the beach front.

As the populat world continues to increase, every piece of land becomes very valuable.
0 likes   

Aslkahuna
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#5 Postby Aslkahuna » Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:35 pm

Actually, many sections of the active San Andreas rift zone have been greenbelted-especially since 1989. The San Andreas is not the major problem in this regard but rather other faults where structures exist on them.

Steve
0 likes   

DanKellFla
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby DanKellFla » Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:22 pm

Many people do oppose buiding near the ocean and in large parts of New Orleans. But, try to tell the resident of N.O. that they should just pack up and abandon their city. Some have, but others are refusing too. Only time will tell. I put my money on New Orleans surving (See:Venice) somehow. And the people who own oceanfront property tend to be wealthy enough to take care of themselves, or donate to the politician who will take care of them.
0 likes   

Aslkahuna
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#7 Postby Aslkahuna » Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:03 pm

It's usually the latter as far as rich people are concerned which is why the American taxpayer always foots the bill for rebuilding.

Steve
0 likes   

DanKellFla
Category 5
Category 5

#8 Postby DanKellFla » Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:53 pm

Aslkahuna wrote:It's usually the latter as far as rich people are concerned which is why the American taxpayer always foots the bill for rebuilding.

Steve

And don't forget, we got to pay more than our fair share of insurance.
0 likes   

Return to “Got a question? I'm listening”