Very confused about air pressure.

If you have a question, don't care what it is ~ If you need a hand, We can assure you this ~ We can help

Moderator: S2k Moderators

StormChaser1234
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

Very confused about air pressure.

#1 Postby StormChaser1234 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:55 pm

How do you interpret air pressure readings. How low does the air pressure have to be for thunderstorm development.
0 likes   

F. Prefect
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

Re: Very confused about air pressure.

#2 Postby F. Prefect » Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:04 am

[qu[b][/b]ote="StormChaser1234"]How do you interpret air pressure readings. How low does the air pressure have to be for thunderstorm development.[/quote]

I assume you're speaking of barometric pressure so I'll attempt to answer your question based upon that assumption. The direction of movement, either up or down, probably has far more importance from a forecasting standpoint than the actual barometric pressure itself at any given time. Falling pressure will in most cases, will indicate a change in the weather to more "stormy" conditions. The opposite is true given a rising pressure.

As to any relationship between thunderstorms and barometric pressure, as a rule, it's not that important, particularly during the summer months. They can occur at any time. However in the spring when strong low pressure systems are still common across the lower 48, a falling barometer, particularly if it occurs along with an approaching low pressure system and cold front, will produce a greater chance of strong thunderstomrs. Hope this helps.

F. Prefect
0 likes   

Return to “Got a question? I'm listening”